Californication - Pilot Episode - 8/13/2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Aug 14, 2007.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm kinda "meh" on this after the pilot. I'll watch a couple more episodes. My first reaction, about 15 minutes in was "Great, another show with a total a-hole leading character."

Their kid being at the party made no sense to me. How did they know she was there? What parents wouldn't call the cops on a party where there's sex, drugs and their 12 year old getting high?

2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    How did she know she was there? Didn't the mother get a call from her new boyfriends daughter who was also there, the same person her ex previoulsy had sex with not knowing she was only 16?

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I missed parts of the beginning and end, but overall I thought it was a lot better than most showtime shows. David Duchovny seems to have a few more tones to his voice than in the past, meaning he no longer speaks in 100% monotone. Sometimes it's now monotone mixed with a hint of whining, or a hint of arrogance.

I really enjoyed the way they poked fun at movies based on books having completely opposite titles.

4. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I really enjoyed this quite a bit. No way did Duchovny's daughter's mother's fiance's daughter (there has to be an easier way to describe that relationship!) look only 16.

I thought the half-hour flew by, mostly because I was expecting the show to be an hour long. There were a couple of parts that didn't quite work for me - like the movie theater/cell phone scene. Other parts, like the escape scene that opened the show, and the "consider yourself defiled" scene, I really enjoyed. Generally, I was sorry when the episode ended and I'm looking forward to more.

5. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    Yeah, that movie theatre scene was stooopid. I'm with the OP, this was just kinda meh for me. A lot of sex scenes and nudity, so maybe that'll keep the viewers.

6. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    power was out all last night so missed this and weeds. however the above will likely keep me viewing throughout the season :) :)

i just hope the rest of it is good... i like the premise for the show.

7. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I saw this pilot from Netflix a few weeks ago and rewatched it last night. I want to love it but so far I'm just kind of sitting on the fence. Will have to see how it goes over the next month.

8. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Now my husband and I absolutely LOVED that scene! Talk about something so many people would love to do when rude people won't turn off their cellphones in public! :up: :up: :up:

Overall, it was a decent premiere, though I did get tired of seeing silicone boobs after a while. Don't any women with real ones show them anymore? Or do almost all actresses have "enhancements" these days?

Cheryl

9. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    finally got around to watching it last night after Tivo 'caught up' with the repeats.

i loved the show, very funny. also loved the movie theater scene and the interaction w/the 16 year old, Duchovany's face was priceless when she strolled into the house.

personally, i don't tire of seeing silicone boobies or real boobies either, whichever :)

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I can't say I minded the gratuitous nudity but there needs to be more than that for me to keep watching.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The nun / wife seemed reasonably shaped, but I agree that the others looked unappealing due to fakeness.

12. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I liked the show allot, esp: the seine where the 16 year old kept punching him in the eye to keep him for having a orgasm so she could and leave.

13. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    This was hilarious! I loved it!

14. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I was curious to know how old the "16 year-old" actually is, so I looked her up on IMDB.

She'll be 22 in September, so while young, not super-creepy young (and you had to know she was over 18 to do the sex-scene).

So, here's the mildly creepy part, she's played by Madeline Zima, who is probably best known as the youngest daughter on The Nanny.

15. MadJap

MadJap New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I liked it okay, though I don't know how long they can keep my interest....

It kind of reminded me of "Dream On" on HBO about ten years ago.

I did love the "I'll just hide under your cli****s......your husband would never find me there"! That made me laugh out loudly.

JAP

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Showtime is really on a roll with Californication and Weeds. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm dropping HBO and moving to Showtime. John From Cincinnati left a bad taste and HBO has a serious hole in their original programming until The Wire and Curb come back.

17. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA
    We liked it. Yeah, another character with lots of emotional problems, but I guess that makes for more intersting storylines than a perfectly adjusted character who's life is going perfect.

Definitely will keep watching to see how things develop.

18. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Aha! That's exactly who I thought she was, and I meant to look it up on IMDB.

Thanks for saving me the effort! :)

19. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    "baby momma's almost stepdaughter?" Almost the same number of letter's, but less obfuscation.

Thumbs up from me. My only wish is that they had picked up both this and the Kevin Smith "Manchild" series.

The "Dream On" comparison is apt, although it is much easier to believe this guy can have virtually any woman he wants (with the exception of his ex-) compared to Martin Tupper, ordinary-guy book editor doing the same.

20. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Pretty interesting show (typing as I watch the pilot and catch up a bit). I wish that HBO had this one, but oh well.