Californication 3/17: Season Finale (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BobB, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    What a great season. Of course we all knew he wasn't going to jail - where would the show be then? But I did find the sentence of probation to be a bit anticlimactic.

Other than that though, I loved the episode. That dinner party had both my wife and I in hysterics, we had to keep pausing it so we could stop laughing. Best dinner party scene on TV since the one on this show a couple of years back with the "man vagina."

And I really like the ending, with the "real" (real for the TV show, that is) Karen & Becca interspersed with the ones playing them in the movie. And of course he falls for the substitute Karen.

The next season will likely pick up when Ben and the girls return from their road trip. I can't wait!

2. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    This sure looked like a series finale. Are you sure it wasn't? I mean I hadn't heard this show was ending and hope it doesn't, but everything last night had a finality feel to it to me.

Cheryl

3. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
  4. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    They could have had Hank end up in Jail this year. Easy.
    Then start next season with him getting released.

I thought the dinner scene was great. Some good stuff.

So did Charlie & his X get back together or did she just come clean about who the father was? Or did they leave that totally open? All 3 were at the set so it was rather unclear.

5. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    At the set it kind of looked like they were together - or at least being friendly - but not indisputably so. Guess that leaves things vague enough for the writers to take it wherever they want next season.

As for Hank - yes, they could have put him in jail, but he wouldn't be the same Hank we know and love when he got out; I can't imagine such an experience wouldn't be horribly traumatizing to such a self-centered blowing-with-the-wind spirit, even if he DIDN'T get ass-raped as he feared. Too disruptive to the plot flow (such as it is).

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or maybe even depending on the availability of Stephen Tobolowsky...

7. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Plus a 3 year prison visit would make Becca way too old for next season and leave too many things to gloss over timeline wise in their lives. I like the direction they took and keeping Hank out of jail. Glad to see it was renewed.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The ending was a little surreal. It almost seemed like he had a psychotic break with the way his car was speeding towards the painted backdrop and then suddenly he's there.

9. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    I think it was just the show creator's way of adding an extra level of wow to what might have been the ending of the last episode ever.

10. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    ...and it worked for us. My wife and I both said "Nice!" when that happened.

11. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    So, what was that.....10 episodes?
    Another cable season. <sigh>
    /saving my last 4 eps for a rainy day.

12. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    12 episodes. The norm for HBO/Showtime.