Californication - 11/15/09 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BobB, Nov 19, 2009.

1. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA

Advertisements

What a phenomenal episode! OK, it was pretty contrived to have all Hank's girlfriends show up at the house together in the order they did, but who cares, it was still hysterically funny. And that closing scene where the now-conscious but nearly naked stripper walk into the living room and says "Where are my f-ing clothes?" and Hank puts his hand over his daughter's eyes - priceless!

This is absolutely the funniest show on the air this year.

2. Cindy1230

Cindy1230 Cuteness overload

Oct 31, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    It was a great episode. It definitely had a 'Noises Off' feel to it.

Not sure about the funniest show on the air, but in my top 10.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We have a had a few of the free Showtime promo months and I've watched this show a few times....it's an amusing show for sure, but "funniest show on the air this year?"...that's a bit of a stretch IMO.

:)

4. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    It's the only show my wife and I watch that consistently has me reaching for the pause control so we can stop laughing before continuing. What else does that for you?

5. LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT

Advertisements

I love this show.

Any thoughts on wherther or not those were really Diane Farr's boobs? I'm thinking not. Too big.

6. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Definitely a body double. No view below the shoulders when you could see her face, and no view of her face when you could see below her shoulders.

7. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    That's awesome you find the show so funny. I used to. Wish I still did. This season they turned Hank from smarmy and slutty but suave into just a jackass that thinks with his dick. Nothing original or charming about that for me.

The show that makes me pause from laughing this season is Community.

8. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    I don't see it that way at all. Last year he was actively pursuing every female in sight. This year started out that way, but a lot of the comedy lately has come from the fact that he now realizes he's in danger of losing the love of his life and has tried - really tried - to break up with all three of the women he's gotten involved with and they won't let him. Or wouldn't until now - after this last episode things may change. And notice that although he let the three strippers stay in his house (and play in his bed!) he did not screw any of them. That's thinking with your dick?

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the fact that the show knows he's being a dick (and it clearly does) makes a big difference. We're not expected to admire his actions, just laugh at them, and it looks like he's going to pay for them.

10. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Awesome episode! The gags involving Rick Springfield's character crack me up! Just heard him on XM and it made me laugh how he requires everyone to use his name when they are f@##ing. ;) And when he sang Jessie's Girl to the stripper who was way to young to remember it. Perfect parody of an aging rock star.

Great show this season!
    Cheryl

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    The Office....It's Always Sunny....

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I don't recall any show that has had us laugh uncontrollably to where we have to pause the DVR to catch our breath...:)

We laugh a lot with shows like Modern Family, The Office, Big Bang, and a sprinkling of other shows.

13. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Different tastes, I guess. I like both those shows OK when I happen to see them but not so much that I set an SP for either one.

14. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    It's Always Sunny is the funniest thing on TV IMO. Californication has become something I get around to watching now. I'm like 2 episodes behind now.

15. barrettd

barrettd Boomer Sooner

Jun 14, 2003
    Oklahoma...
    I have never really caught on to the whole Californication thing, and this latest episode was way too contrived for my taste. I keep watching, I guess because it's easier than deleting the pass for it. Always Sunny, Modern Family, and most episodes of Glee are far funnier and more entertaining in my opinion. I think I still watch Californication for the sex. I'm shallow.

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think this has been a better season than last year. And this episode was definitely one of the best in the series. Contrived? Sure, but I still laughed my @ss off. Rick S is gold. :up: And while Kathleen Turner looks like hell (what DID happen to her?), she can still out-act anyone on this show.

+1 Body double. Any time they go to that much effort to not show her face & parts at the same time, it ain't her. Too bad. :eek:

17. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    no big loss for me...she's kind of ugly and frumpy...

"take a shower every once in a while" (or something like that)...awesome! :D

18. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I classify Californication as mildly amusing but I keep watching. I guess that's because there are so few shows that are even that funny on television anymore.