Californication | 01-09-2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Jan 10, 2011.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town

Advertisements

Enjoyed the premiere of Season 4. Nice to have Hank and the crew back. What did you think?

2. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Excellent episode.
    This show has not disappointed me yet the way other cable series have.
    Big Love, Hung, Tara all dropped off considerably after strong starts.
    This season opener with Hank was first-rate IMO.

3. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    great start - going to be a good season i think :)

4. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Awesome episode, though I'm a bit confused as to why this statutory rape thing seemed to sneak up on them. I figured that was what they were hiring the lawyer for.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Great first episode. I always wonder how they are going to keep a new season fresh, and they have jumped right into this one.

I think (rusty memory) he assaulted a couple of cops at the end of last season, hence assault charges, leading to his needing a lawyer. Carla Gugino got them dropped, only to be replaced by the SR charge.

Semi OT. For you lawyers out there, how does SR work in a case like this? Where the offending party had no reason to think the offendee was under 18? Where does the "how old are you" responsibility lie? What if you are lied to?

Curious . . . :confused:

"start with a shower, you smell like you just walked out of a fisting contest."

6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    BTW, every time "Sasha" was mentioned, I kept thinking Sasha Gray from Entourage. I know that wasn't her, but there was a slight resemblance.

7. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Loved the use of the opening song and I MUST figure out how to work the fisting contest line in to a normal conversation.

8. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    hmm - sasha gray was on entourage?

9. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, I'd like to see that!:D

10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Statutory rape is a strict liability crime. Doesn't matter if there's no intent to boink underage folks, and the other person is a 16 year old Traci Lords that looks like a 22 year old woman in an over-21 bar and you see her really good fake ID that says she's over 21. You're strictly guilty if you do the act without intending to do the act.

"I thought/knew she was of age" is not a defense.

--Carlos V.

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    And she was awful

12. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    She truly was, but I think this Addison Timlin is very good.
    For a young woman, she is certainly holding her own onscreen.

As a woman, I should find Californication offensive, but I just don't.
    This show just works.

13. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I'm kind of loosing interest in the show in terms of it being creative. It's become more about partial nudity of young chicks and how crass the show can get away with. It still has entertainment value for me. I think one of Hanks line last season, when he told his daughter that her mother, the woman whose beautiful vagina she came out of, kind of creeped me out a bit.

I too got sort of a Sasha Gray doppelganger vibe from Addison Timlin. I think they purposely did her up to look that way since on IMDB she seems to have more blond in her hair.

After watching the movie The Girlfriend Experience I thought that Sasha's character was either really a boring person who was not good at providing a girlfriend exp. considering she sat there quiet as a mouse most of the time (in that case Sasha did a good job), or Sasha is such a bad actor they cut a lot of her lines out.

14. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Anyone ever thing think that Hank is a completely immoral and utterly reprehensible human being? He claims to Love his daughter and wife(ex) but his actions do nothing but degrade them and himself.

Statuary rape? Guilty. Open and shut.

Just saying...

15. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    The show wouldn't be very interesting if Hank were out there feeding the homeless and teaching Sunday school.

16. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Should an immoral scummer be entertaining? What does that say about us?

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That we enjoy TV? It's entertainment, dude, a comedy/drama, that makes us laugh, and think. I'm not gonna run out and molest my daughter after watching this.

If this show bothers you, and it's ok if it does:D, just don't watch it.

18. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    nope.

19. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Not at all. He's just doing what most men would do if they could. As Larry Miller famously said, "Women say they have sexual thoughts too. They have no idea. It's the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. If they knew what we were really thinking, they'd never stop slapping us."

20. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Yes, and?