Calibration/test signals

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sharding, Sep 22, 2006.

1. sharding

sharding Member

Feb 11, 2001
    Seattle/East...

Advertisements

For those of you who like to calibrate your displays, how are you doing it for the TiVo?

It would be really great if it could generate some test signals internally (even just SMPTE color bars would be better than nothing). I'm sure I can find some broadcast color bars, but then I'm relying on that channel to be sending a perfectly calibrated signal (and the cable co. not to screw it up). Obviously there's enough variation between channels that no calibration will be perfect for all of them, but I'd prefer to calibrate to the theoretical perfect signal from the TiVo and see the true variations of the channels, rather than flying blind as I am now.

2. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    It's a shame TiVo didn't get some HD testpatterns (audio and video) as part of the THX certifcation deal.

3. QVo

QVo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    If you have Blockbuster Online or Netflix, I believe they stock the Monster and AVIA DVD's.

4. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006

Advertisements

Indeed. For extra credit it would be very clever to get something similar to the calibration menus you get on the DVD of The Incredibles.

5. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    You could use TivoToGoBack to transfer some calib ... oh, never mind.

HDNet Test Patterns - Tue., Sep. 26th - 6:50 AM ET

InHD used to have some calibration screens they'd broadcast early Saturday mornings ... but ... now I don't see them in any online guides. I think it was "Television Tune-Up" or something like that.

6. sharding

sharding Member

Feb 11, 2001
    Seattle/East...
    Thanks for the pointers. I don't have HDNet, so that doesn't help, but I'll keep watching INHD's guide for it.

I have calibration DVDs now, but that calibrates to the output of my DVD player which kind of defeats the purpose. I want to calibrate the TiVo's input to the output of the TiVo, not the DVD player.

7. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Note to Tivo: Some HD Calibration screens would make a pretty cool Showcase / TivoCast / whatever ...

8. jodell

jodell TiVo geek

Jul 9, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    +1

Jeff

9. johnsom

johnsom New Member

May 30, 2001
    Oregon
    For those of use without HDNet, InHD has something labeled "Bars & Tone" at 4am on 10/3. Hopefully it's more than just color bars and tone....

10. R. Kalia

R. Kalia New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    A calibration DVD calibrates the DVD + TV combination. Since the DVD player has its own brightness/contrast/color/tilt/etc settings, you can't calibrate a cable tv program by using a DVD calibration program.

An internal TiVo calibration display won't do much either since it doesn't come from the program source you are interested in displaying properly (cable tv).

The only way to calibrate the cable picture being received on a TiVo and displayed on your TV is to use a test pattern that is sent via a cable channel..

Of course, if you use (say) an HDNet test pattern, HDnet may not have the same color balance or black level as ABC...

11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Probably too late for most, but INHD has a TuneUp scheduled for 11/5 at 7:00 a.m. est. Also scheduled for 11/12 and 11/19.

12. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    For those searching on Tivo, it's called "INHD Tune Up"

13. Sy-

Sy- New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Ewa Beach,...
    Recoeded the INHD Test patterns on my S3. They are pretty skimpy. Only 4 calibration screens and one of those is a convergence patern only useful is you have an old style CRT rear projector. HDNet's Test patterns are showing early Sunday morning. I don't know if they will be any more useful but it's worth a look.

Sun, Nov 12 - 6:50 AM ET HDNET

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Recorded it too and agree it was pretty skimpy for video calibration. For the contrast test I could never see the outermost darkest circle on my LCD no matter what contrast level I used - likely an indication of poor black levels for my LCD.

The 5.1 audio section was certainly useful however at least for me.

15. FlippedBit

FlippedBit New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Mountain...
    I recorded the INHD "Tune Up". Is this the same as the "Bars & Tone"? I just missed my chance to record it and don't see it on the schedule again.

On the color/tint pattern, they say that it is best if you have a blue gel filter, which I have from my Avia Home Theater setup DVD. Then they go into detail about how to make adjustments if you don't have a blue gel filter. Unfortunately, they don't discus how to use the pattern with the filter. I did what I thought was what they expected but I didn't like the results. The brightness and contrast adjustments worked well though. Dissappointing to find out that 3% of my image is chopped off by my TV's overscan and that 10% grey is the same as black on my LCD flat panel (JVC 37X987).

16. doctord

doctord Member

Dec 17, 2004
    The "Bars & Tone" is just a test pattern. Don't waste disk space on it.

I tried to use my blue filter on the "Tune Up" the same way I use it with the Video Essentials DVD. It pushed my color setting too high for my liking.

17. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
  18. FlippedBit

FlippedBit New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Mountain...

Same here.

19. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    That is strange because brightness is what would apply to black levels not contrast. I have not seen this test so maybe I am incorrectly imagining what it looks like. Do they list the percentages of black level on the circles? Was the outermost one 0% or some negative number. If negative don't worry too much because I have never seen an LCD that can do blacker than black. If it was 0% then isn't it still the case that you should not be able to discern it if it is your base black level?