Cachecard installation

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by daveshawuk, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1 of 47
    daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002

Advertisements

OK. I finally have my cachecard and DIMM. For a UK Tivo where is the definitive place to look for instructions on installing it, and installing whatever s/w is required to install other wonderful modules ?

Thanks in advance, Dave

2. Dec 3, 2006 #2 of 47
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #3 of 47
    Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    not to hijack the thread, but it didn't seem worth creating another one.

I will be getting my cachecard in the next week or so. I was wondering if its ok to install the drivers on the hard drive now then put it all back together and use the tivo. Then just pop the cachecard in when I get it.

Or do you have to do the cachecard straight after the hard drive modifications?

4. Dec 3, 2006 #4 of 47
    terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    It's fine to put the drivers on now. When you boot up you'll get a Silcon Dust splash screen which will load the drivers, whinge because there's no cachecard, then load the TiVo normally.

Make sure you haven't set it to download over the cachecard - otherwise you won't be able to download guide data via your modem.

5. Dec 3, 2006 #5 of 47
    Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006

Advertisements

Thank you for the fast reply.

6. Dec 3, 2006 #6 of 47
  7. Dec 4, 2006 #7 of 47
    CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    I hadn't come across the penultimate link before - thanks :)

Some day I may post my TiVo2iPod and TiVo2PSP scripts on the last link - bit worried about softies laughing at my risible coding though :D - works for me anyway and I can keep up to date with all things Ambridge :)

8. Dec 4, 2006 #8 of 47
    daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Thanks for all the advice and pointers. Still takes a bit of muddling through as many of the sets of instructions seem to supercede each other. I have now prepared and checked I can boot off the ISO image and am building up the courage to lift the lid on my TIVO. The only problem is that the box of old memory I have contains everything BUT a PC133 DIMM. What are the chances of a IBM PC100 REG SDRAM 256MB DIMM working ?

Cheers

Dave

9. Dec 4, 2006 #9 of 47
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Some of the websites are more useful than others but you need to trawl through them to decide which ones. It gets called hacking because its all left down to you the user to pick out what you want to use and of course there are no guarantees any of it will work or any official technical support lines (although there is a pretty good unofficial support line in this forum called blindlemon who also does a lot of the professional Tivo upgrade kits that some people buy).

Blindlemon is probably the only forum member here who knows the definitive answer on the memory question. It definitely can't be faster memory than 133 but not sure about slower.

Or you could also ask the question to the makers of the Cachecard at www.silicondust.com/forum/index.php

10. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The RAM should work fine.

The TiVo CPU only runs at 56mhz, so even PC100 RAM is way faster than required.

11. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    It must be the season for Tivo upgrades. I just put a new 250Gb hard disc in yesterday, but I'm still waiting for the cachecard to turn up.

Like you, I thought I might as well install the drivers while I had the disc out, but for some reason nic_install said the new disc wasn't a valid Tivo drive. I put the disc in and it booted fine, so I'll have another go at figuring out why it was complaining once the card has arrived (I've found a couple of suggestions so far: disabling the drive in the bios, or perhaps the driver for the linux boot disc I used wasn't byte-swapping).

A couple of points I noted while upgrading: I'm pretty sure I had checked the serial number as indicating a two drive system, but when I finally opened it up it was a single drive so I copied the recordings across which took about 1.5 hours. Maybe I just misread the number.

All the upgrade guides say the Tivo drive is set to 'master', but in fact mine was set to 'cable select' (as was my cdrom, and the new drive). Unfortunately I didn't realise what 'cable select' actually means until I read the description on the new drive otherwise I could have saved myself a lot of messing around with jumpers. :eek:

12. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    An update. The good news. The cachecard is installed and I have just completed my first network update :) The bad news is that the DIMM isn't recognised by the Cachecard at all so I'll be running without extra memory - a minor problem.

For the benefit of other "modding" newbies I completed the upgrade using http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340 in its entirety, with reference to http://www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo/cachecard.html for the hardware parts ( the software installation seems to be more automated nowadays than in Steve's doc ).

The only points at which I struggled or was slightly perturbed were :

1> The first CD image I created would not boot the PC I had prepped for the driver install. I re-created using exactly the same software in another CD drive ( LG rather than Plextor ) and the second version booted fine.

2> When my first network update was underway I expected the activity light on the front of TIVO to go orange as per a phone update. Seems it doesn't. There is no visible indicator that the network update is occuring.

Now I need to work out how to get all the other hacks installed !

Cheers all, Dave from Spain

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Cheapest compatible memory with the Cachecard ( as regularly supplied by TivoHeaven (blindlemon) to his Cachecard customers) is this £30 DIMM from Ebuyer:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=22918&_LOC=UK

Of course down in Spain international carriage will add to your costs so it may be cheaper to find a Spanish website supplier.

Alternatively if you have a PC 133 168pin 128MB or especially 256MB DIMM blindlemon maintains that these give a large part of the benefits seen with a 512MB DIMM.

14. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I have used that RAM, and I have also used RAM from other sources :)

Just get the cheapest PC100 or PC133 module you can find. I missed that your previous module was a Registered module (which are not supported) - sorry :eek:

15. Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I have finally managed to get a backup of my tivo drive (didn't realise it HAD to be fat32 originally).

I am now having problems with the actual driver install. Everything goes ok until I get to the actual transfer. I type in ./nic_install cachecard (and tried just nic_install cachecard). But it just reads for a while and returns "Bus Error". I have tried 3 different floppy disks.

One problem I may be having is that all the files from the driver download wont fit on the floppy as they too big. So I only have what I can on the floppy:

On floppy:

burstd
    cachecard.o
    cachectl
    libpthread.so.0
    nic_config_tivo
    nic_install
    nic_install_tivo
    ping

There rest wont fit.

"nic_install_pc_20050218" is the file I have download from silicon. Any help appriciated.

16. Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    anyone any idea why I am getting "bus error" on the floppy disk/drive?

I am thinking that maybe I should burn the files to another cd and use them from there.

Once I have used the boot cd, is it ok to pull it out and put a cd with the drivers in and install like that? Or does the computer use the boot cd during the installation/straight after?

If I am able to use a cd whats the linux command for the cd-rom drive? its on the secondary slave (e.g. HDA, HDB, FD0, etc.)

17. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    According to the silicondust faq the mfstools cd doesn't enable byte swapping properly. Try booting from one of the silicondust cd images: that should also help with the floppy size limits.

My Cachecard and DIMM both arrived today, so now I just have to find a quiet period for the Tivo to try this for myself.

18. Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    i'm using the Silicondust boot disk and the floppy disk problem is just that once the files are extracted they come to 1.57mb in size.

19. Blitzed

Blitzed New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    tried with the cdrom drive, didnt work. Anyone know why the driver download is too big to fit on a floppy disk?

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Because you can usually boot a machine with a CD-Rom these days. ;)