Cachecard Installation gone wrong

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by EBJ, Jan 14, 2007.

1. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...

Advertisements

Hello all

I have an almost identical problem as Registered User: uglysister. His problem was in the thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4719066&highlight=cachecard#post4719066

As a favour to a friend, I was installing a cachecard. Looks like I have fallen at the first hurdle.

I've attached the Tivo drive to my PC as a Primary Slave, and jumpered it accordingly.

Following instructions from silicondust when i enter
    /nic_install/nic_install cachecard

I get the error - Unable to access mfs
    I then entered the following command:

nic_install cachecard --force 2.5.S-01-1-023

The drivers seemed to install as I was able to configure the network setting etc. But when I placed the drive back into the Tivo, it failed to boot and I have a blank screen. I also notice the green light at the front of the Tivo flashes occasionally.
    Placing the drive back into the PC in order to reattempt the cachecard driver install, I get this error

Error - Unable to mount partition "dev/hdb7" (22)

I understand from the info on screen that hdb7 is the active root partition.

The bios indicates the Tivo Quantum drive is 40GB.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer, as I broke the golden rule in not backing up the drive prior to the upgrade. Thank you.

2. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Would anyone really install a Cachecard without also upgrading the now totally clapped out and far too small original 40gb Quantum drives? :eek:

The word Qunlock applicable only to dealing with Quantum and Maxtor drives springs to mind as a possible likely obstacle here.

See www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo/upgrade.html and do a find for Qunlock.

I think the Cachecard installation guide rather assumes you won't have the original Quantum drives in the machine anymore, hence omitting the Qunlock part of the process required in this case.

3. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    I should have pointed out that this system has 2 drives. Following instructions, the cachecard drivers were meant to be installed on the first boot drive, which in this case happens to be the original Quantum drive. This is a process I carried out successfully on my own Tivo.

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Any remaining Quantum drive is now so old and provides so little capacity that you really should kick it out while you are going to the trouble of opening the Tivo and attaching drives to your desktop PC.

You do realise that when the Quantum fails, as it surely will, in the next few months then all recordings will be lost. :eek: :(

5. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...

Advertisements

I appreciate your response Pete77, and I intend to replace to replace the old Quantum ASAP. However, my primary concern is mounting the active partition to ensure all is not lost at this stage. Going to check the Qunlock procedure right now.

6. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Tried the Qunlock by creating a boot disk, but still no change. Still cannot mount the active root partition. Does anyone think I should use a third party diagnostic software?

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Never heard of anyone installing Cachecard drivers on a Quantum drive before I have to say. You really need blindlemon's advice on this one I think. Hopefully he will be along soon.

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I have on one of mine, which is also a 40 + 80 setup.

Personally I find 120Gb is plenty.

Any how; just checking you did change the jumpers back again?

9. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Yep, changed jumpers back. In fact, I have just changed the HD configuration by making the Tivo drive the Secondary Master (which is what I should have done in the first place), but this didn't change anything. I still get the Error (22) code making me unable to mount the active partition.

Looking at some old threads, I see I am not alone with this problem. Other fixes were ensuring your jumpers were correct and connecting the Tivo drive as the Secondary Master.

I get the feeling that the "force" command I used is when it started to go wrong. Trying to think of other ideas.

10. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    I guess throughout this mess, I must have booted up in Windows XP while the Tivo drive was connected, screwing things up in the process. So, following advice, I shall attempt MakeTivoBootable.

I have researched the numerous threads in this forum, and will attempt the process to bring the drive back to life.

My Fat 32 partition is on hda5
    My active root partition that fails to mount is on hdb7
    My CDROM is on hdc
    I am using MFSTools2 to boot

Boot from MFSTools2

Enter command:
    mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

then enter:
    cd /mnt

then enter:
    ./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdX --pk 3 --ak 6 --bp root=/dev/hda4

or if that doesn't work, try this:
    ./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdX --pk 6 --ak 3 --bp root=/dev/hda7

Question is: Do the hda4 and hda7 represent the active root partition that fails to mount? If so, I guess it should be changed to hdb7.

Finally, I note from various blurb that it is advised to enter: vmlnodma hdb=bswap hdc=bswap hdd=bswap
    If so, should this command be entered at the beginning or end? Or does it matter?

Thanks to anyone who can submit any advice to a much frustrated Tivo lover.

11. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    For the 4 and the 7, use whichever is the active boot partition. It does no harm to try both.

12. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Try both, using 4 and then 7.

Where it says /dev/hdX use /dev/hdb

If you are booting from the LBA48 CD then enter the vmlnodma command at the root: prompt during the boot process; if booting from a NIC CD from Silicondust then leave it out as these CDs always boot byteswapped anyway.

13. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Thanks for the response. Tackling the MakeTiVOBootable process, but keep hitting the "command not found" line while entering the MakeTivoBootable... command line. It doesn't seem to find my Fat32 partition which contains the file. Scrolling up the pages lurks "Partition Check" that underneath shows:
    hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >

Entering both hda2 and hda5 makes no difference. Oncve i boot to the # prompt, I enter:
    mount /dev/hda5 /mnt
    cd /mnt

I have also tried:
    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
    cd /mnt

Is there any other way of ensuring the correct Fat32 partition? I used Partition Magic.

Thanks

14. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    If you have a floppy drive then just transfer maketivobootable to that and mount it with

mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /mnt

Then enter:
    cd /mnt
    ./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdb --pk 3 --ak 6 --bp root=/dev/hda4

and if that doesn't work, repeat with

cd /mnt
    ./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdb --pk 6 --ak 3 --bp root=/dev/hda7

15. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Thanks for the tip. Will try later today. Your guidance is most appreciated.

16. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Eventually located the MTB file via the Fat32 partition. Progress. But when entering:

./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdb --pk 3 --ak 6 --bp root=/dev/hda4

or...

./MakeTiVoBootable -d /dev/hdb --pk 6 --ak 3 --bp root=/dev/hda7

I get:

./MakeTivoBootable /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.1.3' not found (required by Make TiVoBootable

Any ideas?

17. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
  18. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    Tried the Silicondust CD boot, but still same 'GLIBC_2.1.3' error. Could it be the last entry on the command line? .../dev/hda4 or .../dev/hda7. Not sure why this is entered, as it referring to my C drive.

19. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    I may have finally been successful. Tried the LBA48 1.0 CD, and I think it's worked. Got the message: This could damage your hards drives. Tentatively pressed Y, and in a flash, I'm back to the prompt. Is it that quick? How can I tell if the magic has worked?

20. EBJ

EBJ New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Airdrie,...
    I feel I'm at the 11th Hour. Booted from the cachecard CD to reinstall the drivers and it found and successfully mounted the Active Root partition. The only thing is, the Var Partition could not be mounted. Does this make a significant difference? Haven't yet tried it in the Tivo but will later this evening, with my fingers crossed.