Cablevisions War on TIVO/Cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jefny, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1 of 131
    jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008

Advertisements

I just received a written notice from Cablevision that cablecard users will no longer get many HD channels (mostly from the old voom satellite) and they are pushing everyone to get their HD cable box. This is Cablevision's way of giving the finger to anyone using Cable cards and HD TIVO.

I did put a call into TIVO and they are aware of what's going on. Their belief is that Cablevision's actions are contrary to Federal directives. They are also working on some kind of work around that can be added to your TIVO HD box.

I am going to put in a complaint to the FCC (do a Google search for an address to complain).

John

2. Mar 15, 2008 #2 of 131
    bamachick19

bamachick19 New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Federal Communications Commission
    445 12th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 20554

Here is a street address and there are also email addresses and phone numbers.

http://www.fcc.gov/contacts.html
    :p

3. Mar 15, 2008 #3 of 131
    jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I did do a search and found a section to register complaints which I did on-line.

When I spoke to TIVO they felt they would have a solution before the changes by Cablevision go into effect (removal of VOOM channels for cablecard customers). It apparently has something to do with digital video switching which a few cable companies (such as Cablevision) are doing to try to cut out third party DVR's.

In my complaint to the FCC I phrased it as an attack on cable card usage.

John

4. Mar 15, 2008 #4 of 131
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    It sounds like Cablevision is moving to Switched Digital Video (SDV). They aren't the only ones doing this. In any case, there is a device called a "Tuning Resolver" coming hopefully by 1st half of this year which should fix the issue. You can read about it here...

http://community.livejournal.com/tivolovers/609011.html

We also have a thread on SDV here...

SDV FAQ

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=357703&highlight=SDV

also see...

TWC Hawaii moving all HD to SDV

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=364085&highlight=SDV

and

TiVo confirms SDV dongle for 2Q 2008

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=375723&highlight=SDV

5. Mar 15, 2008 #5 of 131
    ITGuy72

ITGuy72 New Member

Aug 10, 2005

Advertisements

Got the same notice today. Not really too sure what to think, they are certainly using it as a means to push their own equipment, but doing it at no additional cost for a year. The notice does not say when the change will go into effect. I have to say, the channels listed do not really affect me that much. I find the VOOM content to be somewhat repetitive and stale. Even so, I will be happy when the adapter is available to resolve this problem.

6. Mar 16, 2008 #6 of 131
    jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    The card that I received from Cablevision indicates that for the digital music channels the change is now in effect ("All of which are currently not available with your cablecard") but in actuality I am still getting these channels. As for the others (it appears to be the Voom channels) there is a 6/30 date when the offer of a free cable box for one year expires. Is this the deadline?

I originally had a lot of problems with the cablecards necessitating multiple technician visits. I can see why cable companies would love to get rid of cable cards. Just recently my pixilation and loss of signal issues were resolved and everything was fine until I received Cablevision's announcement.

I am sure that TIVO is aware that they must come out with the workaround (the "dongle") as their business model is being imperiled.

John

7. Mar 16, 2008 #7 of 131
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    >>>I originally had a lot of problems with the cablecards necessitating multiple technician visits. I can see why cable companies would love to get rid of cable cards.

So, the reason that cable companies want to get rid of cable cards is because they don't train their technician to install cable cards. Interesting.

>>>I am sure that TIVO is aware that they must come out with the workaround (the "dongle") as their business model is being imperiled.

Tivo has no way to do this. The cable companies are coming out with the "dongles". They will be available when the cable companies want them to be available.

Al

8. Mar 16, 2008 #8 of 131
    Rolento76

Rolento76 Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Can I ask what town you are in? From my understanding, the switch to SDV for the Voom channels will not affect all areas that Cablevision services.

9. Mar 16, 2008 #9 of 131
    lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    I would like to know what area you are in as well.
    I am in Brooklyn, NY and I haven't gotten any such notices in my mail box. When I called CV to schedule a tech to swap 2 S-Cards with a single M-Card I inquired about SDV, and I was told that some international channels are SDV, and there are no solid plans at this point to move more channels to SDV.
    And since my CC appointment was moved from last Sunday to today, I was told an actual CV technician, not a contractor, will be performing the install (my 2 S-Cards were installed by a CV tech as well), I will ask him if he has some input on this.

10. Mar 16, 2008 #10 of 131
    jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I live in Flowerhill (the Manhasset section). It appears that Verizon has been approved locally to offer their FIOS TV services (to be approved by the NYSPSC March 19) and I wonder if there is any connection.

At present I am satisfied with Cablevision (they gave me a deal on the IO service to get HD content) but the loss of HD channels may push me to Verizon.

John

PS-the training of cable card technicians seems to be an issue. The first tech that walked through the door announced that this was the first cablecard installation he'd ever done. A nice guy but needless to say when he was finished the system was not working very well (missing channels, etc.). It took three installs to get everything right.

11. Mar 16, 2008 #11 of 131
    VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    I don't think this is a war on TiVo. CV's own DVRs (SA8300's) can't record off SDV channels either right now and there's no ETA for a patch for those. Considering the way SA8300 development goes, we may get a way to record SDV channels before CV's own DVRs.

CV deployed SDV a while ago. Their international channels and some sports stuff is on SDV so this isn't a recent development at all.

12. Mar 16, 2008 #12 of 131
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What? I am not in an SA area but I find it extremely hard to believe that SA DVRs can't tune and record SDV channels. An you provide any evidence or second source of this at all?

13. Mar 16, 2008 #13 of 131
    VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
  14. Mar 16, 2008 #14 of 131
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Wow, how a bug like that can get out through the SA QA process is beyond me.

15. Mar 16, 2008 #15 of 131
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    It wasn't a bug. It was a deliberate decison by CV to deploy SDV without delaying until their SA DVR was able to properly support it.

16. Mar 16, 2008 #16 of 131
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Then that would have to rank up there on the list of absolute stupidest decisions of all time.

17. Mar 16, 2008 #17 of 131
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    If Verizon is an option, and you are talking about Fios, you should really consider it.

I've been using the Series 3 with Verizon for over a year now and they work very well together. Some people have had attenuation, the ONT overpowering the Tivo, but most report good fixes with attenuators. My installer tested for that on the original install and I never had problems.

Al

18. Mar 17, 2008 #18 of 131
    mbhuff

mbhuff New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    New York
    I just ordered FIOS today because of this. Cablevisions mailout was very patronizing. Since I've tried their pathetic DVR, the idea that they are pushing the trade-in of cablecards for their DVR is laughable. I wonder how many customers FIOS will get over the next month because of this?

19. Mar 17, 2008 #19 of 131
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    It's really a "war on DTV". Cable thinks they need more HD channels and SDV is one of the best ways to quickly add more HD channels.

20. Mar 17, 2008 #20 of 131
    jtseltmann

jtseltmann New Member

May 22, 2005
    I'm in Northeast NJ and just got my Cablevision mailing today...I hope this can get resolved without issue...though these channels aren't my favorites it would be nice to not have 'issues' getting all valid channels.