Cablevision/Optimum CableCard Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by visionaryt, Mar 16, 2008.

1. visionaryt

visionaryt New Member

Nov 23, 2007

Advertisements

I have a series 3 Tivo and just received a notice from Cablevision stating "Please be advised that some high definition channels will soon require a digital cable box. As an Optimum customer with a CableCARD, you will need to connect to an HD digital cable box to continue watching...." and they list about 15 channels. I called Cablevision and "soon" is May 1st 2008.

Tivo support has told me that even if I connect an external HD cable box to the Tivo, the picture will be standard definition and of course you lose the Tivo automatic recording functionality.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that Cablevision is making it impossible or very difficult for Tivo users to receive those 15 channels. It also seems that Cablevision is attempting to compel Tivo subscribers back to their vanilla DVRs.

Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. visionaryt

visionaryt New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Yes the HDTivo Series 3 uses CableCards. Cablevision is saying that customers that have CableCards will not be able to receive certain HD channels that are available on Cablevision digital cable boxes.

4. Dunnie

Dunnie New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Cablesvision has found a new way to squeeze every last penny out of its customers. I too have a series 3 Tivo and it works great with the current lineup. Of course Cablevision is not getting a monthly fee from me for using their cable box (although I do pay 5 dollars a moth for the cable cards !!) Now they are making you use their equipment. It has nothing to do with anything but wanting you to pay a subscription for their equipment. Right now the channels work great using the cable cards. I hate this company (cablevision) ... this is the same stupid company that wont carry the NFL network because it doe snot benefit them financially. Cablevision is probably the worst of the worst in regards to being a legal monopoly. I don't even know what my other choices are for cable in my area ... if there are any ... the series 3 only works with cable right ... I mean ... I cant get satellite right ? Anyway ... there you have ... we are being screwed .... again.

5. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...

Advertisements

You don't list your location but I just switched from Cablevision to Verizon (another "monopoly") Fios and am thrilled. Look into it if it's available in your area. Be advised that it will require a contract commitment, however.

6. zagers

zagers New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I am a Cablevision subscriber as well and just received this notice in the mail today. I have a Series 2 HD Tivo, which it sounds like will lose 15 HD channels on 1-May because of this. I can not get Fios at this point so I am screwed.

According to the Wikipedia page on Cable Cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_card) :

The portion of the 1996 Telecom law which resulted in the creation of CableCARDs is known as Section 629, instructing the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to:
    "...assure the commercial availability to consumers of multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, of converter boxes, interactive communications equipment, and other equipment used by consumers to access multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, from manufacturers, retailers, and other vendors not affiliated with any multichannel video programming distributor."

What's not clear from this is if the law requires that ALL channels be available via cable card. What's preventing Cablevision from making one channel available via cable card just to say they are complying with this law?

This Wikipedia page also has the link to the FCC web site where you can file a complaint against Cablevision - I'll be doing that and I suggest others do as well.

7. Philtho

Philtho Member

Feb 10, 2006
    The law basically is saying consumers needs to be able to use devices other than the cable companies boxes. I also thought that cable boxes from cable companies were all supposed to be using cablecards now as well so that everyone is on a level playing field.

The fact that they are making their service available only on their box seems to say they are going against this, and might end up in hot water. Is there a way to contact the FCC and see what is going on?

8. zagers

zagers New Member

Dec 2, 2005
  9. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Likely this is due to them moving those channels to a "Switched Video" setup.

Their digital lines will carry one of those channels only if someone in the neighborhood tunes to one of them. This allows the cable company, supposedly, to not have to carry all their channels over their cables at the same time.

What happens if everyone in a given area tunes to a different channel and ALL the channels are called for at once? Who knows? Someone's likely to come out the loser.

Supposedly TiVo is coming out (or someone is) with a gizmo that can be attached to the TiVo to allow it to play nice with "Switched Video". Not sure how soon that'll be.

10. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Another reason why Cablevision is a freaking joke. Unfortunately, I live in a basement apartment so I'm subject to whatever the people upstairs have. While I can't say any of the fifteen channels are REQUIRED viewing for me, I do enjoy Gameplay HD and a few programs on RAVE. Other then I don't watch them. Which isn't the point, anyway...I don't like having choices taken away from me because Cablevision wants you to use their POS system. I feel like it's gonna get worse and worse unless the FCC complaint hits the right people.

What makes this more annoying is the fact that Cablevisions CC's don't even work right. #2 keeps becoming Invalid and I have to remember to reboot the unit every single night or risk missing recordings.

11. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Hey guys. I work for said company and looked into this for you guys. First, it's NOT all HD channels that are affected. There are 15 HD channels that we offer that I believe are exclusive to IO HD. I don't know why a switch is needed. That isn't told to us.

Here's the run-down of what you'll lose: 710, 714, 720, 722, 723, 724, 728, 729, 734, 776, 777, 778, 779, 785, 786.

You will be able to keep ALL other HD channels via CableCard.

Here's the good news: To help offset this, anyone who calls up can get a cablebox capable of recieving these channels at no charge for 1 year. All you have to do is swap your cablecard for the box at any of our cable stores.

My personal recommendation is keep 1 cablecard for primary viewing and set the box to the second tuner so you can watch those extra channels with no problems. The box has component outputs so you will still get a HD-quality picture.

Hope this helps you guys!

PS- I'm not speaking on behalf of the company. I'm just a TiVo-lover who wants to help you guys with some basic info.

12. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    This topic has been discussed at length in this Series 3 Forum: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387730 .

Perhaps if more consumers file complaints to the FCC and the state utility regulators it may help. If we can at least delay the introduction of switched digital video (SDV) until the tuning resolver device becomes available or we receive a discount on the monthly cost of the CableCards since our service is being degraded that would be acceptable. They are definitely discriminating against CableCard users. The one year use of a "free" STB is bogus. All Cablevision users had to pay a service call fee of about $45 to have the CableCards installed (usually by techs that had no idea of what they were doing). Now they propose to give you a STB for a year, but you have to pick it up and you are out the $45 you previously paid for the CableCards.

The suggestion to only return one CableCard has some merit, but you will have to give up the dual tuner recording capability on all the other HD channels.

BTW, I am not at all optimistic that complaining to the FCC will result in resolving our complaints. The channels they are switching are not very important to me, but my concern is that this is just the beginning. Look at what is happening in Austin, TX with TWC switching most of their channels to SDV. Since I now have Fios available, if Cablevision decides to move more HD channels to SDV, I'll then switch to Fios.

13. stoneharry

stoneharry New Member

May 7, 2008
    Your company is being stupid. I bought my uncle a Tivo HD and now he is going to lose some channels. So now he is talking about switching to DirecTV. Cablevision is probably history.

14. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    If he wants HD programming and a TiVo then D* is not an option. I believe the switched channels on Cablevision are mostly the Voom lineup. He'll need to live with Comcast and wait for the tuning adapter or consider FIOS if available in your area if he wants to hold on to the TiVo.

15. stoneharry

stoneharry New Member

May 7, 2008
    He does want HD and I already told him he would have to go with the DirecTV DVR. It really pisses me off because I thought I was getting him a nice gift and now Cablevision is screwing things up. His post card said he would need a cable box to receive A + E and the History Channel. The other channels he does not really care about losing. Comcast is not available in his area, only Cablevision. No Fios in Connecticut at all.

I think the tuning adapter is going to be vaporware.

16. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Appreciate what you're saying but to be honest, cable companies forcing people to have their box is not right. Why the hell would I want ANOTHER box when my tivo does everything just fine with the cable cards that are supposed to deliver the channels I PAY for. This whole initiative of pushing their boxes while making it sound like you're getting a deal ("one year free!") is something I have a huge problem with.

17. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    [QUOTEHe does want HD and I already told him he would have to go with the DirecTV DVR. It really pisses me off because I thought I was getting him a nice gift and now Cablevision is screwing things up. His post card said he would need a cable box to receive A + E and the History Channel. The other channels he does not really care about losing. Comcast is not available in his area, only Cablevision. No Fios in Connecticut at all.

I think the tuning adapter is going to be vaporware.][/QUOTE]

If all he is worried about are A+E and History, Your TivoHD with CC will permit you to view then on the same channel position as before(at least that is my experience-I'm w/CV in suffolk county Long Island).
    These channels and some other channels that were analog(Up to ch. 99) were moved to the digital tier.
    Don't confuse them with the Voom channels(in the ch.#700 range)those were moved to Switched Digital Video(SDV) and are NOT available with the TivoHD, even with the CC.
    I agree with you about the tunning adapter being vaporware-I'm not holding my breath.

18. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Like the other poster mentioned, I don't think that A&E or the History Channel are switched so a CableCARD should pick those up without a problem. Telling him that he has to get a D* DVR is not 100 percent true - at least with regard to those 2 channels.

The tuning adapter is very real - however when CV will actually make them widely available is anyone's guess. I too wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for them.

The good news is there is no commitment invloved with Cablevision. Going with D* does involve a hefty commitment - one that should be seriously considered - not to mention the $199 you have to pony up for equipment you'll never own.

19. redsnipe

redsnipe New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks very much for this, Slider. I've had nothing but problems with CV+Tivo. First the signal wasn't string enough to split the cable line at my old apt - and CV wouldn't spend the money to put new lines in - and now at my new place, where I have great signal, I all of a sudden don't get Sci-Fi/E!/etc. No warning, no nothing. Just one day it said "you need a cable box to view this channel" - only I HAVE a cable box. So further interrogation concluded that CV had switched something over in their system to digital or HD or something that my Tivo couldn't grok (S2). So I just had to buy an S3, and now I have to have CV come out and "install" the cards on Thursday.

I have never had such a hard time getting *basic* stuff to work with Tivo before. I haven't been able to see HBO in a year - although I've been paying for it. They come out, test it, and tell me its Tivo's fault.

Your info was a big help - I'm hoping Thursday goes well and I get my premium channels back.

20. brookotter

brookotter New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Hi -

So, I can get (as of about 20 minutes ago) MLB Extra Innings, which is supposedly SDV, on my TivoHD with a multi-stream cablecard, using no other boxes/adapters - nothing but net! ;-)

I'm on Optimum, Bronx NYC.

What are the HD channels cited above that I'm not getting, and if MLB works now (it's apparently a recent change) why not these channels?

B