cablevision cablecard vs. fios cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jcdub, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jcdub

jcdub New Member

Jul 30, 2008

Advertisements

Right now I have the Optimum triple play and am about to upgrade to a tivoHD with 2 cable cards

I know the pro of Fios is USA & SCI-FI HD, but the major con is changing everything in my house is a pain and the need to have boxes for my non-tivo Televisions (there are 3 of them in my house)

I've been browsing the forum for quite some time. Seems like a lot of people are dissapointed with cablevision requiring a cablebox for a few channels (like sci-fi)
    (will this be fixed in the near future?)

can anyone please shed some light on some other things not mentioned above?
    (also, how does anyone know how the fios internet service compare to optimum online?)

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    All providers will eventually require a cable box to receive their non-local channels. As they dump their analog channels and switch to digital.

3. jcdub

jcdub New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    so why are we all jumping to cablecard if more and more channels will only be accessible by a box?

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are two different "require a box" issues: digital vs. analog, and SDV (switched digital video). The first is not an issue for CableCard devices, just for those old analog devices hooked straight to the line. The second is currently an issue for the TiVo HD/S3, but it should be fixed by the release of "tuning resolvers", soon.

Everyone is moving to digital, at varying paces, but not everyone is moving to SDV. Fios doesn't use SDV at all, for example. Both of these changes are bandwidth-saving measures, but it's really only the attempt to retain analog service that necessitates SDV -- the more analogs you eliminate by switching the channels to digital, the less need for SDV.

5. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York

Advertisements

A bit off-topic, but the main advantage of FiOS over Optimum - much better picture quality of the HD.

6. jcdub

jcdub New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Is there ANY Advantage at all for having Cablevision over Fios? (Besides howard sternTV and not needing a box in every room up til Feb 09)

7. BOARshevik

BOARshevik OINK!

Jan 25, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    MSNBC. Because of any agreement between Cablevision and MSNBC, Verizon can't carry MSNBC in Cablevision areas and even in Cablevision-adjacent areas.

That is of course if you actually care about MSNBC. I personally can live without.