cablevision cable card problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by macgyver58, Oct 3, 2010.

1. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010

Advertisements

I received my TiVO premiere XL last week and installed the M-card that cablevision supplied to me. I called to have them activate it after setting up the Tivo and they could not bind the card. ( Although cablevision originally gave me the card and told me how to activate it myself, I later was told you can't do that, a tech has to come and do it). I spoke to several Tivo and cable techs on the phone with no success. Finally had a cablevision tech come to the house who couldn't get things working after 2 hours and swore the Tivo box was defective. I called Tivo again right after he left and they went through diagnostics on the Tivo. They claimed the Tivo box was working fine. He claims cablevision hasn't properly activated the card.

So here's where things stand:

1) When I try to look at live TV i get the screen that says Please wait...Acquiring Channel information, but nothing ever happens. It stays on that screen forever and I can't view any channels.. not even basic 2-13.

2) In the cablecard menu i go to conditional access.. then CA Diagnostics. Under CA Status it says 00 00 00 00. I am told that when the card is working the forth column over should have a one in it rather than a zero.

3) In the cablecard DAVIC info menu under status it says 'Not Locked'. Supposedly this should say 'locked' when the card is properly bound

4) In the Cablecard CP info menu under authorization status it says: Waiting for CP auth

The cable guy checked the signal strength at that was fine. One thing that seems a bit odd: In the cablecard DSG menu on the first page it says i have an NDS Cablecard but when i click Next:Extended DAVIC Diags, it says Scientific Atlanta CableCard. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the cable guy coming back again this week but right now Tivo and Cablevision are both pointing their fingers at each other, and Im stuck in the middle with a useless Tivo unit until they figure this out.

2. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts New Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue right now.

3. criscrow

criscrow New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I am also having the same issue, although I can see channels 2-22. After that it just says "searching for signal:cable". When I go to my Cable card menu, under CableCard CA screen, my status shows "not staged". Tivo says that it should read "ready". Cablevision has now told me that either my Tivo is no good, or the fact that the signal strength coming into my apartment is too high. This has been 3 days of being on the phone with Tivo and Cablevision and having a cable tech here twice. Cablevision has told me to call back in 48 hours after they resolve the signal strength issue. Tivo simply says that Cablevision has no paired my card. Period.

4. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts New Member

Dec 28, 2010
    I had to get another Tivo. Speaking with Tivo they swore up and down that it wasn't their device. Needless to say I had them send another Premiere XL out and all and behold it was a defective cable card port.

As soon as I hooked up the cable card to the new Tivo, the channels started coming in. Missing channels but once I called cablevision and had them resend the signal out to the cable card all channels started coming in.

No cable tuner necessary...at least from what I have seen thus far.

5. pshifrin

pshifrin New Member

Dec 22, 2004

Advertisements

I received a premiere for xmas and picked up a mstream card from the cablevision office (i'm in Southern Westchester). Only got channels 2-22 and 702-721. Called tech support and asked for the HD dept per another thread. First guy sounded like he didn't know what he was doing and couldn't fix it and scheduled a truck roll. I called back, got a smarter sounding guy who couldn't fix it either. The fact that it was working on some channels made me think it wasn't a problem with the hardware but a programming error on their end which they insisted wasn't the case.

Well the tech just left and it's all working. It took about 2 seconds to fix. He knew what the problem was before he even looked at the TV. He said "the card is in hub 18 when it needs to be in hub 55" whatever that means in cablevision speak. He called into their support line, had the woman switch it over and it was done.

We agreed that it was so silly for a truck roll when any CS rep should have seen this on their end.

6. criscrow

criscrow New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I called cablevision after reading about the card being in hub 18 instead of hub 55 and asked what hub my card was in. I was told it was in hub 18. I asked if it could be changed over the phone and was told that they were going to send a tech out to do that. So tomorrow will be the third tech visit. I just wish Cablevision of southern westchester could train their techs to do these jobs in less than 3 or 4 visits. They would get more work done that way and wouldn't waste their customers time. I pay way too much money to Cablevision every month to have to deal with this.

7. pshifrin

pshifrin New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    criscrow, that's so ridiculous! All the tech did here was call them and ask them to move it. He didn't physically do anything! They're all idiots but what can we do, we are stuck in a monopoly.