Cablecards or 2 Cable Inputs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by quagh, May 30, 2011.

1. quagh

quagh New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    OK.....so do the new Series 4's have 2 digital tuners in them or can they handle 2 separate HD cable inputs?

I have discovered that I get basic HD on all my TV's w/o a box or cablecard. That being said, and if the 2nd input on the Premiere's can handle Digital HD OTA signals, why can't that second input come from one of my other TV's? I ask b/c I'm able to watch different HD shows on different TV's in the house. So why couldn't the TIVO handle 2 different HD lines regardless of where they come from? They're both digital. It's just that one is OTA and one is from the cable co.

2. quagh

quagh New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Can you at least view HD shows and not record them before signing up with Tivo for the service plan?

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You should hve seven days of free service if I remember correctly.

The TiVo has a CATV input and an OTA input.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I believe it's been reported that TiVo will let you view (and buffer) live TV without a subscription. But you get no guide, no recording, and no transfers.

5. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    They actually have 4. Two for digital cable (QAM) and two for Digital OTA (ATSC). One input supplies the two QAM tuners, one supplies the two ATSC tuners.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Plus the NTSC tuners which make six. Which creates two virtual tuners with each virtual tuner having ATSC, NTSC and QAM capability.