1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CableCard

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by avaddict, Jul 13, 2018.

1. avaddict

avaddict Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I cannot expect the Tivo blog to be accurate and up to date with the current state of the business.

So, I ask the folks with their finger on the pulse of this industry:

What might be the likelihood that the CableCard will go away permanently and the Tivo product will be shut out of the ecosystem?

References:
    Future of CableCARD

2. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Not anytime soon for the bulk of cable card customers. Of course their may be situations here and their.

That article is 3 1/2 years old. It doesn't even mention the Bolt.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    CableCARDs will be around until the cable companies switch to all IP delivery. That's probably at least a decade away for most cable customers.

mdavej, mrsean, cwerdna and 1 other person like this.
  5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You can do a search here on the forum and see all kinds of opinions on what the future of CableCard is and how soon it will go away and the truth is no one knows though many will try to insist they're right.

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I sure hope so, here in Nowheresville! My Bolts are one year and two years old. For the money I put out, I want them to last a very long time. I would actually be despondent about having to lose them.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    We have both seen things change. A vacuum wants to be filled. In 2009 the world was coming to an end because digital was going to kill all TV without government help. Expecting all cable companies to get together and declare the end of cable cards is easier than herding cats. Some things don't catch on (HD Radio, SACD) and somethings get replaced. Don't lose any sleep. But we can start another similar thread in a few months just to keep us busy. Then we can let it devolve into something else, like loss of dial-up.

tenthplanet, dlfl and sharkster like this.
  8. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Tivo should start making every DVR cable card ready and also able to do over the air, not just some models.

mrsean likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo should bring their customer support back to the U.S.A. too.

CopRock, das335, PSU_Sudzi and 2 others like this.
  10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    though Tivo is getting out of the hardware business

cwerdna likes this.
  11. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    They will keep making CableCARD DVRs as long as cable companies support that standard.

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    so tivo isgoing back into the hardware business? I thought they wanted out and just license the software

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They've contracted with another company to handle the manufacture and retail distribution so kind of but not exactly. There will still be TiVo-branded TiVo's and they will still be selling them on TiVo.com.

TiVo Exiting the Box-Making Business

In a move that will get TiVo out of the hardware-making business, the company announced that it has signed a “major” device manufacturer to serve as its direct-to-consumer box partner.

Tied in, this partner, yet unnamed, will also take over retail sales of TiVo products outside of TiVo.com, including outlets such as Amazon and Best Buy, Enrique Rodriguez, TiVo’s president and CEO, said Thursday on the company’s Q1 earnings call.

“In that sense, we’re acting as a distribution channel,” Rodriguez said. With respect to sales through other retail channels, “we’d be completely out of that transaction.”

For consumers, there will be no material change, as products will continue to be branded as TiVo and run the TiVo experience, he added.

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Do we really need ANOTHER thread on the future of Tivo and cards?

The answer hasn't changed - no one knows when it will happen, but it will and Tivo hardware will likely go away with it.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    But the other threads get so old. A fresh thread has that new car smell. We should have a new poll or thread on Hydra soon also. Followed by a thread about the future of ATSC 3.0 or IPTV. SSDD. :cool:

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    TCF is US based customer support. ;)

chiguy50 and Mikeguy like this.
  17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    On what page of your customer support script did you find that? ;)