CableCard + Tivo workaround??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by grooves12, Jan 20, 2006.

1. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

Sep 25, 2001
    San Jose,...

Advertisements

I currently have a DirecTivo and am moving into a condo that does not have line of sight for the dish, so I will be moving to cable.

Is it possible to install a cablecard into your TV's slot and have the Tivo change the channel on the TV through the IR blaster, thereby giving you a sort-of cablecard Tivo?? I would rather not have to pay the cable box lease fee if I don't have to.

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    No, that won't work.

What you can do is get a cablecard AND a digital box. Use the digital box in conjunction with the TiVo, and put it on one input of the TV. Use the cablecard and watch live on another input.

Good luck.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    excellent advice and the reason it wont work is there is no video output on TVs to send to the TiVo to record. plus the IR balsters do not have commands for TV sets - they have commands for cable boxes - which are different sets of IR.

and even if possible it would tie up your TV anyway and why do that.

so do waht crowfan suggested and when you get a series 3 you can swap the cable set top box for a cable card and keep on trucking :up:

4. Joyster

Joyster TiVo convert

Aug 1, 2003
    Seattle
    My TV has a monitor out which allows me to connect the TiVo up as you've suggested.

The reason I don't do this is because this whole premise requires the TV to be powered on for the TiVo to work, as it can't control the TV while it's turned off!