CableCard "staging": short description please

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 1080p guy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    After an unsuccessful(we thought things were good when he left) visit from a Comcast install tech. They're sending out another(hopefully more experienced) tech to try setting up my CableCard again. Any suggestons of what to try in case he's not the "hot tech" everyone hopes they get. This should'nt be rocket science right? (or does this have something to do with the cable companies wanting to have "all" the business)(Even if they do, one of you/us should have a workaround to things! right?

2. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    No takers? Anybody? Sorry to be pushy! I did a short search here , but unfortunatlely there was'nt much help offered to the original posters ,or did I not read carefully enough? Thanks in advance, Steve

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
  4. mlprice

mlprice New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I've been through this. I started trying to get a TiVO working back in December of 2010. I'm on Time Warner in Downtown Los Angeles. More truck rolls than I can count. Everyone will point you to the TiVO web pages that describe how things should work when everything is working properly. The problem is that everything is not working properly. So you can dutifully march through those instructions over and over to the point of insanity.

3 TiVOs later (Time Warner constantly blamed TiVO), they FINALLY took the TiVO to the Head End people who staged it. They picked the box up on Saturday afternoon. Monday morning at 9AM they started working on it. Monday morning at 9:10AM it was working fine. They brought it back to my place and it's working great.

Tell them they can save a crap load of your time and their money if they just take it, stage it at their head end, and bring it back.

Whatever you do, don't let them just blow you off. Keep costing them money by requesting service when it doesn't work. I've read about these cases with Comcast as well as Time Warner.

5. mlprice

mlprice New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    P.S. I am so happy to have my TiVO working that I cannot explain it. It is vastly superior to the horrible Motorola DVRs peddled by Time Warner and others. Now my only fear is that something stupid will happen, something on Time Warner will change and I will have to go through the staging again. Oh well. In the meantime it takes seconds instead of minutes to set up a "season pass." So don't give up. Tell them to stop wasting everyone's time, just take it to the head end, provision it there, bring it back.

6. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    HOW is it VASTLY superior?....................Capacity? That is far from VAST!!!

7. mlprice

mlprice New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Have you ever tried to actually *use* a motorola DVR. I swear, Motorola tried having chimpanzees create the UI. It is quite possibly the worst user interface I've ever seen. It is absolute crap. What takes seconds on TiVO takes minutes on the moto.

Attempting to search for a show on the Motorola Box is pathetic. If it's more than a week out the stupid box doesn't know, assuming you can figure out how to do it.

I recently accidentally created a second favorite list that just screwed up my ability to surf channels through my favorites. The box kept wanting to use the second list. I wanted to delete the list. For the life of me I could not figure out how. I called Time Warner. 30 minutes later two techs reading the manual along with me could not figure it out. I figured it out later completely by accident.

Capacity? That thing would run out of capacity so fast it was ridiculous. It came with a stupid 120GB hard drive in it. The TiVO has a 1 terabyte drive to begin with and the ability to connect external storage from what I saw.

It allows Internet access to Netflix, Youtube, Blockbuster, and Amazon.

The HD picture is superior right off the bat and it includes a fine tuning program for your TV.

It is FAST, FAST, FAST compared to the Motorola. I can make a sandwich in the time it takes to go from one channel to the next on the moto.

Not to mention the iPad Remote Control App which is absolutely beautiful.

In comparison, using the Moto is like making love to a sand paper doll.

When I say VASTLY, I mean freaking V A S T L Y superior.

8. mlprice

mlprice New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    There were literally times when it would occur to me to set the DVR to record a program. I'd look at the remote, look at the TV, look back at the remote, and say screw it. Not worth the headache.

The only other DVR I've used is the one DirecTV stuck me with. I don't remember who made that box. It was marginally better than the Moto but still VASTLY inferior to the TiVO.

TiVO's UI is beautiful in comparison to everything else I've seen. The depth and intelligence in the UI, selecting a channel, and seeing an entire programming guide for the day pop up is a pleasure.

Instead of a crappy universal remote, you get a remote that is designed by TiVO to compliment the UI.

I would have been happier with a UNIX Shell compared to the Motorola. TiVO is the standard by which the wannabe's are judged, IMHO.

But I'm way out of the point of the original post.

9. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Must've been YOUR Motorola box.

I NEVER experienced any of the symptoms/problems you've described

10. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    To everyone with suggestions,thanks... Only problem is the ComC guy never showed . I got a phone call, about 9 mins. before the end of the window of time they were scheduled to come, saying sorry they missed me & to call for another appointment. I was here, he must have knocked with a feather! So he's coming back Saturday. If things are'nt going well, I will definitely take up Orangeboy's offer to stage a 3way call to get things connected. Thanks to all! I'll check back in when I'm up & running. (I sure hope I start season pass recording "A Game of Thrones" on Sunday) (I have to agree that the Tivo premiere's HD picture quality does'nt look slightly compressed like the Comc Motorola does, so for me that makes it vastly better regardless of how slight the picture difference may be to some. I don't believe in the "good enough" attitude when it comes to my viewing pleasure)

11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It is not so much the tech, but the back-office support.

They control what is really going on. I believe that they continually send out cards that they hope will work, but those that don't work initially are either not set up correctly in the Comcast system or are actually bad. If it is not set up in their system correctly, they need a back office hot fix or data repair that a normal csr cannot handle.

Make sure to call Comcast and ask for their cablecard experts and support team. They may need to contact internal IT support, but being on the phone is superior to missed appointment and having p'od tech in your house for an extended period (personal experience).