Cablecard Replacement Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVotion, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I currently have a TiVo HD DVR with 2 single stream cablecards in it. Because my other TiVo just died (original Series 3), I decided to replace the dead TiVo with a new TiVo Premiere. As part of this process, I called up Verizon and ordered a new multi-stream cablecard in anticipation of getting the Premiere delivered. (They almost wanted to do an $80 truck roll, but I got them to mail it to me instead.) Anyway, during my call to order the new multi-stream card, I decided to have them actually send me 2 multi-stream cards, as I'm also going to replace the 2 single stream cards in my working (TiVo HD) DVR with one multi-stream card at the same time to save money.

My question is this. If I remove the 2 single stream cablecards in my current TiVo HD, and replace them with one of the new multi-stream cards I'm getting (and of course activate the new multi-stream card), will this foul up operation of the TiVo HD? Is the TiVo "married" to the single stream cards in such a way that it won't work if I pull them and stick in the new multi-stream card? Again, this is with Verizon.

Thanks!

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    No, shouldn't have any issues. Take Card 2 out first, then Card 1. Insert M-card, call Verizon.

3. hsuthard

hsuthard New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Honolulu, HI
    Tivotion,
    How did your install go? I'm also in Tampa with Verizon Fios. My new Tivo Premiere arrived today, I called Verizon and they're sending out a new cablecard. We'll be putting the new Tivo downstairs and replacing the failed Tivo Series 3 upstairs with the Tivo HD currently downstairs. I'm extremely anxious about the entire installation, as our last Tivo install took over two months to complete, and then failed less than a year later (refurb Tivo boxes kept crashing and each time I had to deal with Verizon installs until we were sure it was the Tivo box causing the problem). I'd appreciate any advice before I start this process again!

4. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I just did a Self Install with FiOS on Friday for my new Premiere. The only issue is to make sure to enter the dashes for the Host and Data ID's on the website, and the whole process took only a few minutes.

My other installs all required a truck roll but this whole process was pretty seemless.

5. hsuthard

hsuthard New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Honolulu, HI
    I am absolutely floored at how easy that was! Wow! It was smooth, seamless, and worked perfectly. The longest part was waiting on the phone :) I am so glad to see how much the process has improved.