CableCARD problem..Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JTyler82, Dec 27, 2011.

1. JTyler82

JTyler82 New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    So, I finally picked up a TiVo premiere, I went to my Comcast office and asked for a CableCARD, The lady didn't really seem to know what I was talking about, but later showed up with a Motorola CableCARD, and said "I don't really know what this is for, but i think this is what you want".

Long story short, I Came home, called Comcast Tech Support to activate, gave them the S/N, and they said they could not add it to my account, they kept getting Errors, and I would have to wait until someone "higher" than the tier 1 tech, could get a hold of me.

My question is, Did i get a wrong cableCARD? i'm afraid the old lady didn't know what i was talking about. It came in this clear plastic case with an M on it, and no instructions.

Help?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's probably what you're supposed to have, an M card, but the reason she found it is probably that it was a returned bad one.:)

3. Lancetri

Lancetri New Member

Dec 28, 2011

I had similar experience with Comcast when I first got my Premier w/ cable card. While you may need another cablecard, don't be dismayed if you go through several phone support people who send the mythical "signal" that accomplishes nothing. It took no fewer than 5 phone calls.

The final magic occurred when I had a technician scheduled to come out and I received a phone call from a cablecard support technician to "try one more time" and he was able to get it going in about 3 minutes.

While it may not seem like it a first, Comcast actually does have folks who understand cablecards. It just takes some time to get in touch with them.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #4 of 11
    BoldRuler

BoldRuler New Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Vermont
    in Vermont, they won't let you pick one up. They make a tech come out to your home. The guy who came to my house, while nice, said that he had only ever installed 6 cablecards in his life.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 11
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    This is in contradiction to FCC regulations. All cable providers are required as of August 8, 2011 or November 1, 2011 (depending on the system) to allow self-installation of cable cards.

6. Jan 2, 2012 #6 of 11
    FiresideLL

FiresideLL New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, though for me it didn't take any time at all to get in touch. I'm brand new to cablecards and Tivo. I went to Comcast, said I wanted a cablecard, the lady went back and got one for me and gave me the activation number.

I called the activation number, and within 5-6 minutes everything was up and running.

Way easier than I had braced for after reading all of the horror stories.

7. Jan 2, 2012 #7 of 11
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most cable companies now have a specific number for cablecard activation. If you would of called regular support, it would of probably been a nightmare.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 11
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Oh, your post is giving me flashbacks.

I did the same thing but picked up TWO cable cards from a woman who said, "I hope you know more about these than I do!" Then, I called the regular activation number when it said I should in the process. Nothing. Error. I called support and went through the regular CSR to the Tier One Advanced Tech Support guys. Spend hours in successive calls trying to get the cards activated. Nothing. Still errors. Ended up scheduling a truck roll with a guy to bring me two new Mcards.

In the end, the cards were never going to work. Apparently, the M cards were supposed to be "activated" by Comcast in terms of loading in a basic association with the Comcast network. Essentially an "activation" at their level that usually happens before (similar to how a cable box is associated with Comcast before it comes to you.) We figured it out in the end because there were about five fields that were empty that should have had some entries prior to the card even coming to me.

Once he swapped the cards, the activation was within minutes, just as described by those who had a smooth process.

SO, my advice would be to try the tech support but don't dilly dally and waste innumerable hours when it appears to still not work. Just go ahead and schedule the SOONEST truck roll for a replacement card. You won't pay for it. Get the guy to bring you a new one instead of going to the office again.

Oh but I wish I could have the hours of trying, calling, testing, restarting, reinstalling, etc back. It literally killed an entire weekend - when I got the two replacement cards, they were activated and working within 5 minutes.

(For the record, since they were activated, I've had zero problems and now I have three M Cards in Tivo Premieres in the house. I love it!)

Good luck!

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 11
    FiresideLL

FiresideLL New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why would anyone call the regular support line when there is a specific cablecard activation number?

When I get home from the office tonight, I'll post the number I was given. It was quite simple.

10. akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    To be clear, I can't speak for the original poster of this thread, but I called the activation number and it didn't work. Spoke to the activation support reps then and they tried again, I restarted TiVo and tried again, I turned off and reinserted card and tried again, didn't work. Then they said I'd need to speak to the next lel level of tech support that may be able to help. That obviously didn't work either.

So, due respect, it's not that simple. I'd be willing to bet money that if he's already been through what he describes, calling the activation line won't make an ounce of difference. If the card was going to be activated easily, it would have been achieved in the efforts he mentioned.

I'd still suggest to find my way to a new card. You can go to the office again but it's the tech' responsibility if you call for a service appt. I got one for the day after I called but I'm in MD. They have multiple cards usually and can try several if they need to do so. Like I said before, I wish I had all that time back bc it was resolved for two M cards in 10 min.

11. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    I called the Comcast activation line 3 times before they finally said that something must be wrong on my account and call the regular help line. (I got some of my channels but not all of them.)

The regular help line was able to fix whatever was wrong and complete the activation process.

Start with activation number, but realize that won't necessarily be the only call you need to make.