Cablecard not Pairing on Premiere XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by KHJ4, Dec 29, 2020.

1. KHJ4

KHJ4 New Member

Dec 29, 2020

Advertisements

I recently bought a Premiere XL with lifetime from Weaknees. I pulled the cablecard from my old dying TivoHD and plugged it into the Premiere after running guided set up. I called my cable provider, WOW, to pair the card with the Premiere. After 2 hours with 2 different customer service reps, it would not pair. Every channel gave me the V52 error, searching for signal.

This card is over 10 years old, but was working fine in the TivoHD as recently as yesterday. WOW is sending someone out with a new card tomorrow. Tivo help chat told me its likely a problem with the old card being permanently paired to the TivoHD and a new card should work. I'm worried there's something wrong with the Premiere or that the WOW reps just don't know how to properly pair a card anymore.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anything I should have the person try tomorrow if the new card still doesn't work? Could the issue be in WOW'S system?

2. myklbear

myklbear Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Have you tried having them delete the previous card entirely before trying to pair it with the new device?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dianebrat likes this.
  3. KHJ4

KHJ4 New Member

Dec 29, 2020

4. myklbear

myklbear Member

Jan 11, 2015
    You still need to make sure that the old card is completely deleted and unpaired from your account. There is another term for this but I'm not remembering it at this time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dianebrat likes this.
  5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

Didn't the TiVo hd use 2 single stream cards rather than the one multistream card used by Premieres and subsequent boxes. Plus you are not getting"channel not authorized" which would tell you the card is not paired. Back to the single/multi stream issue. I honydont know if a newer box will work with a single stream card. If it did you would only get one stream.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No, the TivoHD could use a single stream card, it's the OLED S3 that required 2x CableCARD no matter what since it was built before the multi-stream design was finalized.

There's no reason the card from the TivoHD won't work in the Premiere other than that the Cable company didn't properly remove it from the old system and add it to the new one, this is the number one issue. In the FiOS world the magic phrase is to handle it as a "card swap" and then delete it completely and then add it back in to their system.

7. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    So did it work? The fact that you haven't posted again means you're probably happy now, lol. It's really common for cableco reps to not know how to wipe/reset the old card. And rather than escalate to next-level support, which they're probably incentivized to avoid, their default response is to send a new card. But the new card still may not work for the same reason, and then you go in circles with them. So if you're still stuck in that loop, know you're not alone, take a deep breath, and then you or the installers simply need to access to a higher level of support.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Yup. That was the problem I had when I moved to my new house in April, bringing my Bolt and the same CC with me. It took escalating to a higher level of support to get them to get everything working properly.

As Pokemon_Dad said, deep breath.