Cablecard issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JLan, May 4, 2021.

1. May 4, 2021 #1 of 10
    JLan

JLan New Member

Sep 10, 2019

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed to get this solved. I don't have a lot of time these days and I just want my TV happy place back.

I have a Bolt Vox which I've had for over a year and a half with Spectrum Cable. I have a Cisco M card and a Cisco tuning adapter. The problem started in the late afternoon yesterday. While watching live TV, every couple of minutes (90-150 sec), my picture freezes, then it goes black, then I get a V58 error then sometimes it switches to a V53 error and then the picture comes back. This happens on all channels at the same time.

When I look at system information, when the problem is occurring, the CableCard goes from M-card active to Initializing.

When I look at the Cablecard decoder screen, it will say there is no card when the problem is occurring and then it says M-card inserted and then the video will start up.

When I look at the DVR diagnostics screen, the TiVo is losing tune and the program lock is "no" when the problem is happening. When the tuning stops, the tune state says "Ending" and then the Tune starts up again.

When i go into the Cablecard menu, it says the "Cablecard not in normal operation" and "Your provider has not supplied any information for this card" when the problem is happening. When it's working, I can see the Cablecard menus. The menus wouldn't load this morning even with things working, but after unplugging and restarting the TiVo, the Cablecard Menuscreens appear and the status is Ready in the CA screen when the video is working.

The tuning adapter seems fine. It has a solid green light and the TiVo is seeing it.

I would appreciate suggestions on what this is and the best way to attack it.

2. May 4, 2021 #2 of 10
    WR2M

WR2M New Member

Jul 13, 2016

I had the same exact issue in September of 2020 with the V58 error. I ended up filing an FCC complaint, only to find out that all the Cable Card Altice/Cablevision customers had the same problem. Eventually the cable company fixed it.

3. May 4, 2021 #3 of 10
    rcandsc

rcandsc Mark it 8 Dude..

Feb 5, 2014
    Liberty, MO.
    I had this same issue with my Bolt and I called Spectrum and they were quick to come out and resolve the issue.

They had initially believed it was a cable card issue, but they traced the problem to a low signal, and made needed changes to outside line. Have not had the issue since.

Teeps likes this.
  4. May 4, 2021 #4 of 10
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Check signal strength and report.

5. May 4, 2021 #5 of 10
    ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018

Advertisements

I assume you have unplugged (or power off) everything - waited a minute and powered it all back up

6. May 4, 2021 #6 of 10
    JLan

JLan New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    I unplugged the Tivo.

7. May 4, 2021 #7 of 10
    lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    There is either a hardware issue with your CableCard, or a software issue on the headend. I've seen both - the process you describe indicates the card is getting stuck in a loop of restarting itself, which is preventing tunes. Could be a bad card, or it could be a software process - I have had both, an old card that conked out, and a new card that got stuck in a firmware-upgrade cycle that triggered a reboot. Check the signal strength, and try to get your hands on a new card.

8. May 4, 2021 #8 of 10
    JLan

JLan New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Signal strength is between 95 and 97%. This is what it's always been in the roughly 20 years I've had a Tivo in this house.

9. May 4, 2021 #9 of 10
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Then that’s not the issue.

I guess you need to get Spectrum out and try a new cable card. Might want to reseat the CC on a wild stab.

10. JLan

JLan New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    I want to thank everyone who took time out to send suggestions.

Since I was still super busy, I hadn't yet gotten around to attacking the problem. Well apparently procrastination worked out. It appears to have been a problem on Spectrum's end because everything has been back to normal for an hour and a half. I wish I knew what kind of cable signal voodoo was going on. I contemplated this possibility since we'd lost stations a couple of times over the last 6 months for a day or two, but the cablecard disappearing seemed like a different animal. Hopefully I'm good to go.

UCLABB likes this.