CableCARD for DirecTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dswallow, Sep 20, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You know, with DirecTV's Single Wire Module (SWM) hardware, it seems like they'd actually be able to create a CableCARD device that'd work with their system. Well, at least if it'd be possible to deal with the QPSK and 8PSK modulation since that aspect of signal processing apparently isn't handled by the CableCARD device. Most of the chipset specs I've seen TiVo use, however, seem rather flexible in that regard.

...just something to think about...

It's certainly getting closer to the point where the FCC could require satellite to offer the same things they require of cable companies regarding third party access.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even if they did require it. When would it take effect? 2010?

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Write a letter to the FCC! The satellite companies currently have a waiver from the rules (which I realize you probably already know).

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    IMO, there is no hope of current cablecard tuners tuning satellite TV, at least without some convertor (if only a simple frequency downconvertor) in line to the cablecard tuner.

SVM likely has some frequencies occupying the upper end of the cable spectrum.

If the FCC were to require satellite to open their systems today, I don't see things reaching the "streets" of the US market by at least 2010.

Albeit, since Dishnetwork uses the DVB standard (and a lot of their piracy is done on 3rd party DVB receivers), they are much closer, since they need only issue already manufactured Nagra CAM modules. It is just that CAM module capable DVB receivers are big on the US market yet.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The FCC could have required this years ago. The only reason a third party vendor can not build a Satellite STBs is because Direct or Dish use encryption that they will not license. Even if the satellite companies actually could not find an economically way to convert to a universal encryption process the FCC could have required they open their networks by licensing their current systems. Dish uses a "cable card" type system now, my parents STBs are old enough that they have actually gone through a card replacement when dish updated their system. The only reason TiVo can't build satellite ready DVRs is because the Sat companies wouldn't let them. My guess is they could even build a low cost add on box that could tune and decrypt the sat signals and then feed an unencrypted digital feed into existing TiVos through their USB ports, but again the satellite companies will not let them and the FCC has their head up their a**.

Thanks,

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Ever the optimist. ;)

Let's see. FCC regulations for separate security were approved when? Like 1997 or something. So it's been 11 years and we're just now getting the somewhat broken one way CableCard stuff. So if the FCC approves regulations for satellite this year, I'd say it'll be closer to 2019 before anything actually happens.