Cablecard Error / Please help! / Missing NBA playoffs!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by powereli, May 3, 2011.

1. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    I have a series 3 Tivo with 2 Cablecards from Comcast.

I've had a few problems with them over the years.. but nothing too bad.

Yesterday, I tried to go to live TV, and got this message:

"Upgrading Cablecard 1.. press select for more info. Cablecard firmware upgrade in progress"

When you click 'select' it tells you the upgrade should take about 40 minutes. But what happens is that after about an hour, the error message goes away, live TV comes back on, and then right away the message pops up again, starting the cycle over. Over and over and over....

I have tried rebooting, turning it off and removing the cablecards, then re-inserting them, calling Comcast, etc.. nothing is working.

Any ideas? I'm dying without the NBA playoffs right now...

Thanks!

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If you swap the cards does it still try to upgrade #1, or does it go for #2.

Can you watch the playoffs with the #2 tuner in the meantime...

3. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Not sure I can do that... but I'll try.

Any/all other advice is welcome!

4. welestgw

welestgw New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I had a similar situation on my TivoHD where it was in a perpetual upgrade loop. It would spend all night upgrading, seemingly finish, and then would start upgrading again.

It ended up actually being a bad cablecard and had to be swapped out from Cox, so you might be stuck with 1 tuner until a truck roll.

5. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Thanks.. the problem is that I can't access the second tuner either. When I hit 'live TV' button, it just stays on the error screen. Comcast set to come tomorrow... long time to wait and it's a bummer for sure

6. rhain

rhain Member TCF Club

Nov 3, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    The same thing happened to me twice and each time is was a bad cable card. I finally fitted out I could pop the offending CC out and use
    My Series 3 as a single tuner

7. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    RHAIN: that worked! Thank you. The bummer is I can't record two things at once now. I wish I could just buy a stack of cablecards and have them at the ready for when they burn out.