Cablecard Comcast questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by arw03, Aug 30, 2016.

1. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011

Advertisements

Would anyone here happen to know if comcast might (I know, could vary by region) charge an additional outlet fee for replacing a DTA box with a cablecard for my TiVo Premiere?

Situation is, recently moved, rooming with someone that already has a comcast subscription that includes a primary box for the living room, and this DTA box in this bedroom. Before I go asking if they might tweak their setup for me, I want to be sure I have some idea of what could happen (comcast, never can know for sure, seems like).

As far as I can tell from rules and regs, I think what might happen is, the primary box they have might already have the "first" cablecard on the account (will need to check, but if it means comcast can gouge you for extras, I would expect it there). So, small fee for another card for the TiVo probably. But, I'm hoping that by returning the DTA box that is presently hooked up, the Customer Provided Equipment credit could cover the card fee. Additionally, I'm thinking, since the DTA box is already hooked up to an additional outlet, that additional outlet fee would not change by hooking up to the cablecard/TiVo.

Basically wondering if anyone is familiar with this sort of equipment swap (swapping the DTA rather than the primary box) and whether there might still be additional charges for hooking up the TiVo. Figure, it it might save them a little money, or at the least be equivalent, can sort it out. But if it's going to cost them extra for the trouble, I don't really want to put that burden on them (even if I could cover the charge; just never know how far comcast might take it).

2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    It will probably be $9.99 for a second box. This is why the mini is so popular.

3. ledman

ledman New Member

Sep 9, 2008
    It depends on regions but I believe Comcast has been trying to make fees more consistent nationwide.

In East/Philly market, a DTA lease is about $4/mo ($3.49 for stb + $.50 for remote), whereas their digital outlet fee is $9.99/mo for cablecard lease but they credit you $2.50 for bringing in your own equipment. So net is $7.49/mo for cablecard use in your TiVo.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Unless there's a glitch, you can expect to be charged the $9.99 per month 'Additional Outlet' fee from the time you are handed the CableCARD -- though the account should also receive a $2.50 per month 'Customer-owned equipment credit.'

And ledman's figures are correct, in my experience...
    +$3.99 - DTA removal
    -$9.99 - Add'l outlet
    +$2.50 - Customer-owned equipment credit (may require prodding)
    ------
    -$3.50 - add'l charges on Comcast bill

So, first question is whether your roomie is currently being charged for their DTA and, if so, specifically how much. Adding $5-8 to your monthly rent should be reasonable.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

What model is your Premiere, 2-tuner or 4-tuner?

6. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    2 tuner.

And thanks for the replies. Is about what I expected. Kinda hoped the DTA would have its own additional outlet charge, so the TiVo would be equivalent (maybe it is, have to ask, but wouldn't count on it). Seems a little bizarre, effectively the same function. But of course, if they can find a way to charge for it...

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, ok; was hoping it might be a 4 tuner, to allow using a Mini in the other room.

8. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    We have a TiVo Series 3 which REQUIRES 2 cablecards in order to work properly. Where we're located, our Comcast Xfinity gives us the 1st cablecard for free, and the 2nd one is only $0.80 since it triggers a "2nd cablecard in the same device" fee.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Definitely area dependent. In Houston, TX there wasn't an Additional Outlet fee. In Sacramento, CA there was a -$9.99 aditional outlet fee.

Both had a +$2.50 per TiVo for customer equipment, and a -$1.99 starting on the 2nd CableCARD in Houston (First one was free) but in Sacramento it's -$1.99 per CableCARD period.

So when I was 2 TiVo's that was

Houston Sacramento
    +$2.50 +$2.50
    +$2.50 +$2.50
    - $1.99 -$1.99
    -$1.99
    -$9.99

Or a net of an extra $11.98 per month in charges.

When my TiVo HD (2nd gen Series 3) died. I decided to go with the Mini for the bedroom.

My wife is happy with it. Only Sunday Nights from 9-10pm does it hit all 6 Tuners (Two Premium Channels, Two Cable Channels, and Two Broadcast Channels get recorded part of the year.)

So I save $9.48 In fees (I don't get the 2nd Customer Equipment credit) so the Mini will pay for itself in a year. When my Contract is up. I'll probably give back the X1 box in the downstairs and replace it with a Mini. The only scary thing about that is if something goes wrong, I don't have any Comcrap equipment and you know they'll blame it on your stuff.

10. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    Update: This is in the Portland area, btw.

DTA already has its Additional Outlet charge, so there's no change there for switching to TiVo. Simple swap of box ($3.99 I think it was) for the cablecard ($9.95 or something I think). Effectively $6 more.

What's concerning me now is they say there's no Customer Owned Equipment credit. They're basically treating the cablecard itself as the DVR; the rental charge for the card to use in the TiVo is the same charge for their own provided DVR box (which also uses a cablecard, that first one they're required to provide for free).

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, this sounds shady as all hell. They're required to provide one card for free, so they can't technically be charging for the cablecard in the primary DVR box. If they can't charge for the card, they must be charging for the equipment, in which case, surely they need to recognize my TiVo as customer owned equipment and credit the account accordingly.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct logic on your part.

See the following post for more details on Comcast's "Customer-Owned Equipment" credit, including some escalation contacts should you have difficulty getting it applied.

One thing I'd note is that you could wait one billing cycle to see if the credit is applied automatically. My recent experience (within the last 9 months-ish) has been that Comcast has been doing a good job of automatically applying this credit when I've grabbed additional CableCARDS. YMMV, but it may save you a bit of time -- and you can always get the credit applied retroactively, assuming you address the absence within the first few months.

edit: p.s. I corrected the bad math on my earlier post. Once the Customer-owned equipment credit is active on the account, you should only be looking at $3.50 additional per month relative to the roomie's previous bill.

12. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah, sounds about right. $6 extra now, less the $2.50 for the COE.

Also, wow, is the wording on that thing a little weird. "Similarly, a CableCARD is included as part of the additional outlet service fee if you are using a retail CableCARD device on the additional outlet." If the card is included as part of the additional outlet fee, then how are they going to charge the AO fee and the card rental fee? (I see through the link that the wording on that point is significantly changed, though)

I'm feeling like this might take a little smooth talking to get the credit applied. If the only thing they're charging is the cablecard rental fee, maybe they get away with saying "equipment isn't part of this service, you're only charged for renting the cablecard, the equipment is irrelevant so no credit."

But yeah, worth waiting til next bill at least probably. Ideally, the credit should be there, but I'm just trying to think of all the ways and words they could use to weasel out of parting with any money.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    There isn't a separate CableCARD rental fee with the latest pricing approach, unless you have a retail device that requires multiple CableCARDs -- with the 2nd CableCARD for the same device being tagged with a nominal per month rental fee ($2 or less per month, IIRC).

14. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    That was just how they mentioned it at the time, as a "rental fee," but yeah, it's just the $9.95 card fee.

Regarding the Customer-owned equipment credit, I was told it only applies to some old carryover thing, or if I were to replace the primary DVR with my Tivo. Think they tried to explain it as it being a credit for using a Tivo when a similar Comcast device would provide more features, so a credit for getting less out of the subscription. Still sounds bunk, but not thrilled with spending more time with Comcast for it.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Customer-owned equipment credit applies to use of the TiVo in place of Comcast's set-top included in most of their programming packages *and* to any TiVo's used in place of the set-top included with their $9.95 "Additional outlet" service.

If they're charging you the $9.95 "additional outlet" fee, then they owe you the credit. This is explicitly stated in their policy statements linked above.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10561283