CableCard and Xfinity On Demand Online

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Crouchback, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Crouchback

Crouchback New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I know that Comcast and Tivo have a deal to begin offering On Demand on the Tivo Premiere sometime in the future, but my question has to do with what is available now; I've searched Comcast's website and other online forums and can't find a definitive answer.

I have a Tivo HD and currently use it only with OTA broadcasts, Amazon, Netflix, etc. I also have a Mac Mini attached to my HDTV. My internet service is via Comcast.

If I add Xfinity TV to my Tivo HD via two CableCards, will I get full access to Comcast's online On Demand services? Because I have the Mac Mini hooked up to the television that would give me everything the integrated On Demand service would give me with just a little interface inconvenience. Thanks.

2. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    After the announcment nothing has come out.

Couple of things I would like to know

- Do you require both TV and Internet from Comcast for the service? Only a Cablecard?
    - Is the app going to be standalone and require a registration from Comcast similar to Netflix
    - Quality of Streaming
    - Only TIVO Premiere? Future Q? TIVO HD?

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You only need one M-card, not two. And you can't use VOD on the TiVo itself.

4. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    My understanding is that Tivo is going to (and in SF already has) start allowing two way communication on the cablecards allowing for conventional use of On Demand services.

The first thing to note is that it's not about how many cable cards you have but about two way communication between the card and Comcast. Right now it receives signals from Comcast but doesn't send them. I think the actual question is whether this is a firmware thing or whether you actually need to a different (as opposed to additional) card. If so that might incur a $15.00 cable guy visit fee.

The other thing that is relevant is how close you come to your data cap limit of 250 GB. If you obtain the On Demand from the website, it's charged to your data account. If it's obtained from On Demand, it goes through your cable service and therefore doesn't count towards your data limit. Therefore if you watch a lot of HD video online, you could benefit from the switch. Otherwise, there's not much difference other than interface.

5. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I believe the service would be the same as if you were a cable tv customer. I don't think the internet service here is relevant since it's only a cable tv service.

You would need a cablecard, but the question is whether your current cable card would need to be swapped out with a two way device or if it could be updated via a firmware fix.

It would not be "streaming" so that part doesn't matter. It's the same cable that brings your tv into your home.

6. Crouchback

Crouchback New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I think my question is getting lost in the shuffle here, so let me rephrase: if I get Comcast cable television service (the Digital Preferred package), but no Comcast set-top box (DVR or otherwise), do I get full access to Comcast On Demand online?

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Yes, you can watch Comcast/Xfinity on-Demand programming on your computer (not via the TiVo), including on-demand shows associated with any premium channels (such as HBOGo for HBO).

8. Crouchback

Crouchback New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    That's the answer I was hoping for. Thanks.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I should have said "...any premium channels to which you are subscribed." :)

10. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    CableCARDS are not directional; there is no such thing as a "one-way" or "two-way" CableCARD. The host device into which the CableCARD is inserted (e.g., set-top box, TiVo, TV) is where any directionality limitation would exist; the CableCARD is simply a separate security device as mandated by the FCC.

11. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Yes

12. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
  13. backell

backell New Member

Jul 17, 2011
  14. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Not necessarily. In my market, there is some local VOD programming available. However, when I tried to find it on my computer, I couldn't. When I called Comcast to ask about it, I was told it was not available on my computer.

Anybody else have this problem?

15. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
  16. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    What part of "If you prefer to use a CableCARD compatible retail device instead of a digital converter from Comcast" makes you think the CableCARD is directional? The "retail device" refers to the TiVo.

If you're still not convinced, read the CableCARD Primer that was created by the folks at Cable Labs: http://www.cablelabs.com/opencable/primer/cablecard_primer.html; that's pretty specific about the bi-directionality of the CableCARD itself.

17. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    I get an Xfinity TV page with tabs for Play Now, TV Listings, On Demand, Store, and My TV.

I have a former colleage that has produced some local TV shows that are apparently available on an OnDemand "channel" called "Hoosier TV". I can't find them.

I am speaking from memory here, and the memory is fading, but I believe I have seen them promoted in commercials in the local commercial insertion ads. I think he has also mentioned them on Facebook.