CableCard & Analog Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boyettdw, Aug 2, 2007.

1. boyettdw

boyettdw Frequent Browser

Jan 23, 2005
    Alabama
    I picked up a Tivo HD from Circuit City last week and I have been fighting with CableCards ever since. Comcast hasn't been any help at all, so I was hoping that I could get some help from someone here.

Here is my problem in a nutshell. With the CableCards installed, I can tune all my digital channels (including HD) correctly, but I can't see any of the analog channels. If I take the CableCards out and scan for channels, I can tune the analog and clear QAM channels correctly. As soon as I pop the CableCards back in, the analog channels go black.

The Comcast techs are stumped, not that this is hard to do. The Conditional Access screens are showing "Subscribed" and "Valid", so the cards appear to be paired correctly and have the correct subscription information.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    In my area all the analog channels have digital equivalents that is taking care of by the cable cards, I only know because those channels do not offer any TiVo record quality options. I don't know what going on in your case, do you have a cable box in the house that can tune the digital equivalent of the analog stuff, is it there at all ? With CC can you tune anything below ch 99 ?

3. boyettdw

Jan 23, 2005
    Alabama
    About a dozen of the channels below 99 are actually broadcast digitally and I can pick them up on my TiVo. I checked this with my TV (which also has a CC) installed because it shows me whether a channel is analog or digital when I tune it. My TV can tune everything fine.

I spend another 45 minutes on the phone with Comcast tonight to no avail, even though the tech seemed to know what he was doing and genuinely wanted to help. He had me move the CableCard into my TV to test the card and everything worked correctly.

4. boyettdw

Jan 23, 2005
    Alabama
    I had to remove all doubt that the TiVo was the problem. So I ended up exchanging my TiVo for another one and am still having the same problems.

I have about run out of ideas.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    No answers here, but some clarifying questions.

You said that the Conditional Access screen said Valid. I assume this was for Host validation. Was it this way for both cards? To me (I could be wrong) this means that your provider (Comcast) is pairing the cards to the host - which most companies do.

Later you said that you moved the card to your TV and it worked OK. This is confusing, unless you submitted new host information to Comcast when you did this.

6. boyettdw

Jan 23, 2005
    Alabama

Yes the Host Validation field read Valid for both of my cards, so they must be paired properly. And yes, I did give Comcast new pairing info when I tested the card in my TV.

By the way, I have noticed that my Analog always reappear after a reboot of the TiVo. Sometimes they disappear again quickly, but other times I have noticed them staying around for much longer before they turn to grey screens.

7. MintyFreshMama

MintyFreshMama New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Another one with this problem. I know it is not a Tivo issue because before the cablecards were installed (for 2 days), we got the analog channels that are now missing. Comcast of course blames tivo.

8. Parsifal

Parsifal New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I appear to have a similar problem in Houston also with Comcast (just posted this morning). I perhaps at the opposite problem, which was only receiving the analog channels (and their HD equivalents) but getting no digital cable channels. It worked for a few days then disappeared, which strongly suggests it's NOT a Tivo problem since all Tivo functions otherwise work. It may be a problem in the way the Cablecards and Tivo interact, but that also seems unlikely since the cards worked for a period of time, then stopped working.

It's funny how Comcast's tech support clams up when they hear you mention Tivo, it's like you just told them you have two heads or something, and they explain very slowly to you that they know NOTHING about Tivo and that you should call Tivo tech support. I think the first rule of thumb for a tech support person is, once he hears another party's hardware or software is involved, he immediatley latches onto that product as the source of the problem (insert here any anecdotes about troubleshooting a Microsoft product on your PC--oddly enough, it's ALWAYS a hardware problem!).