Cable TV Shows Are Sped Up to Squeeze in More Ads

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by javabird, Feb 21, 2015.

1. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle

Advertisements

Even FF-ing commercials doesn't fix this:

Cable TV Shows Are Sped Up to Squeeze in More Ads

"...As they contend with steep ratings declines, many top cable networks are jamming more ads into programming to meet audience guarantees made to advertisers and prop up revenue despite falling ad prices."

Here's another link in case you can't read the first article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-forward-tv-networks-speed-up-shows-to-play-more-ads/

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If they can't figure out how to speed it up and not compensate for increased pitch, they need to find new technicians.

BTW, a lot of shows played in PAL countries used to sound a little higher in pitch because of the way they converted to the different system. People from the UK think everyone on US TV has a slightly squeakier voice than they really do.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Seinfeld sped up

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    It doesn't sound high-pitched to me. They sped it up correctly. Not ideal, but I think better than cutting out content. Some old shows that were 51 minutes without commercials are now cut to about 42 minutes. Some of them don't even make sense with that much cut out.

5. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Advertisements

It's not just cable AntennaTV is the worst with this.

6. A.VOID

A.VOID New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Classic

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Third tier cable channels like USA, FX and TBS have been doing this for years. Anytime you see a marathon on a channel those shows have most likely been accelerated to accommodate more commercials.

That is one reason I stay away from those garbage channels for the most part.

Frankly, it is so bad - I find it annoying to ff all the time!

8. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Per the popup on that embedded YT, in 2015 TBS bumped the rate up from +7.5 to +9%.

I remember (years ago, but maybe they still do it) Friends on TBS looked terrible at times. Worse than what I see in that YT clip. It was like they would speed up certain scenes or camera pans within each show where they thought people wouldn't necessarily notice.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For PAL they would reverse telecine 29.97fps to 23.967 then they just played it back at 25fps. So it would essentially play an extra 1fps, so a 60 minute show would be a full 1 minute shorter. They eventually started using pitch adjustment to account for the squeaky voice phenomenon, but originally they just played it accelerated and hoped people wouldn't notice.

You can actually still find this being used on some PAL region DVDs of American TV shows.

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Why is this in the TiVo Discussion forum instead of in Happy Hour or Now Playing? What does it have to do with TiVo?

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    IDK, I didn't start the thread was just sharing a bit of knowledge. Since it's TV related it seems OK for the thread to be here. The Happy Hour is more for completely off topic threads and Now Playing is for discussing specific TV shows.

12. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    wow never knew they did this. :eek:

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is news? This has been around for many years..

I just with the Tivo iOS app would let *ME* speed things up, just like I do with podcasts, and with VLC (after downloading the show from the Tivo).

14. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    I didn't know they did this. Can't say I'm surprised though.

15. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Given the choice, I rather they speed it up than cut stuff out. Assuming they don't go nuts and make it sound like a bunch of chipmunks. :p

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are pitch adjustment algorithms now that can account for speeds like 2-3x the original. As someone above mentioned there are podcast players that allow you listen to podcasts this way and you can barely even tell it's going fast.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    And old farts like me can always just hit the pause button occasionally so our brains can catch up with the plot developments, or jokes, etc. :D

Oh the marvels of technology! Eventually we will have a fast serial port mounted in our skulls. The program content will be streamed at extreme multiples of real time directly into the appropriate memory sections of our brains, and then we will "remember" it just as if we watched/listened at 1X.

But that would be like remembering a good meal but missing the enjoyment of consuming it. :)

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Sigh, the new version of VLC took out AC3 playback, so I can't use it to play Tivo downloads.. Thankfully I kept the old version backed up, so can hopefully go back to it... (but deal with a few bugs that were supposedly fixed in the new version).

"barely even tell" is a huuuuge exaggeration. I have to back up every once in a while since I missed something, and if I'm trying to semi-multitask (I mean even just cleaning or something, not working), I can usually only stand it at 1.5x or I basically don't follow it at all..

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I meant you can barely even tell the pitch is off. Wheter or not your brain can keep up with it is another story.

20. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Now only if my TiVo could decelerate the shows to normal speed.