Cable TV lines/installation

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gregftlaud, Aug 14, 2020.

1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Member

Jun 16, 2004
    ft...

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the round metal piece is in between my cable tv line from the node that connects the line that goes to my apartment. Is that some kind of amplifier, or?

Attached Files:

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
  3. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Member

Jun 16, 2004
    ft...
    Ok thanks. I live in a building with 2 apartments. My neighbor is having cable/internet installed tomorrow I'm assuming they won't split my line and run another line to her apt. Those moca devices require a dedicated line to the apt?

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'd be very surprised if any new lines were run. All the lines should have been run during initial construction. They could very well split your line if needed.
    No, not at all. The whole purpose is to isolate shared lines from each other.

But I'm not convinced it's a Moca filter. Usually they're skinny. But it is indeed a filter of some kind, and cable company property.

Why are you concerned about your neighbor's cable install? However they end up doing the install, there's nothing you can do to change it. My neighbors and I share a common distribution point. It's pretty standard practice and nothing to be concerned about.

5. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Member

Jun 16, 2004
    ft...

Advertisements

Well, there is another line in my box (u can see it in the pic) that's not being used yet. They should attach a MOCA to that line and run a line to her apartment. All of the original lines were removed a few yrs ago during a remodel so mediacom would have to run a line run from the box on the back of our building. ....."Should and will" are two separate things. I've had nightmares in the past while living in florida where another cable company split my line right outside of my apartment do use for another apartment to save time and length of wire.

Attached Files: