cable signal goes awol - does tivo tell me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by albrandwood, Jan 31, 2007.

1. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002

Advertisements

came home from work today, and turned on the TV/Amp ... went to watch something that should have been recorded yesterday ... couldn't find it ... missing from the playlist ... I checked the to-do history ... and apparently I've not had any cable signal (on the S3) for three days ...

Not once did the Tivo tell me it was having any problems ... the tivo is used daily, so at some point it would have been nice if it had told me it was failing to record anything ...

I guess I should be happy that it didn't bother recording a lot of nothing (like my S2 would do)

A reboot of the S3 resolved the issue...

Oh well ...

Yeah, this is a kinda pointless rant, but I'm bored having to watch last week's Gilmore Girls.

@

2. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Not a pointless rant. Did you not turn your tv on during this time? If you did you would have seen a message on the bottom saying channel not received. I don't know what more you could have expected (bells ringing, flashing dial?). Also it did tell you what happened in recording history.

3. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's possible some of the channels were working. When I have CableCARD issues, I still get the low analog channels (below 22 on my cable system) and the network HD stations. If the tuner happens to be on one of these stations, I would not know the authorization failed and I wasn't receiving most of the channels. Since I have the problem , I always check digital channels that require the CableCARDs be authorized whenever I turn on the TV for the S3.

4. srothkin

srothkin New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Ossining, NY
    And where would one expect to see such a message if NEVER watching live TV (ONLY watching previously recorded programs)?

5. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

Awww, gee I don't know. I guess whenyou came home and saw that your programs were not recorded you might turn to those channels to see what happened.

Just a wild guess..... :)

6. goldfndr

goldfndr New Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Bellevue WA
    Actually, if it was displayed on the front OLED display, perhaps with a different font, that'd be pretty easy and obvious. Like "[NO SIGNAL]" in a monospaced serif font.