Cable Signal Cuts Out Every Couple Minutes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bill Keith, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bill Keith

Bill Keith New Member

Jul 20, 2017

Advertisements

I am having an issue that just about has me at my wits end.

My TiVo Roamio Pro had worked great for about a year. We then moved to a matrix setup and this new issue started, however the wiring for my TiVo has not changed.

About every 1:45 the cable signal is lost about 5 seconds later it comes back. If I am in diagnostics I can see it cut out on all tuners. At certain times I can go several hours before it cuts out, but when it does it it does it over and over.

I have replaced the cable card. That didn't help.

My signal was at 100% and SNR at 40db so I installed a splitter which brought things down to 89% and 35db. That appeared to fix it for a few hours, but it started again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? TiVo support just has me restart the TiVo and that seems to fix it for anhour or so, but that's not a long term solution. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Please post your location and cable TV provider. And are you using a Tuning Adapter? And: what is a "matrix setup"?

Supposedly TiVo tuners have protection mechanisms that will cut off the signal if it's too hot, which yours was before you inserted the splitter. Perhaps running too long, too hot has permanently damaged that protection circuit so it is cutting out even when the signal is no longer too hot. It might be worth cutting the signal down even more. Splitters are not the optimum, clean way to do that. Rather get one or two in-line attenuators -- at Amazon just search "Cable TV Attenuator". Perhaps a 6 dB and maybe also a 10 dB -- then discard the splitter.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Try running cable direct from demarcation point to TiVo (ie remove everything in your house from the coax line) and see if it still happens. If it does, likely it is something on the cable provider's side. If it doesn't perhaps something in your house is introducing interference. Sometime failing equipment causes disturbances on the line.

4. Bill Keith

Bill Keith New Member

Jul 20, 2017

My apologies. I'm in Kansas City on Spectrum with a tuning adapter. Yes it's 1 minutes 45 seconds. Originally it was exactly every 1:17.

I do have attenuators in the mail, just used the splitter as a quick fix....hopefully

I'll try going straight to the TiVo and see what that does.

Thanks

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

If you mean the bad signal is every 1:45 seconds, that sounds like some type of electrically powered equipment introducing interference (obviously not working as designed, but something starting to fail). Question would be whether it is in your house our outside your house.

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    I connected the TiVo directly to the service line and it still does it. Even with 96% signal. So sounds like something at the pole, or the TiVo box. Being as my internet doesn't cut out seems to reason it's the box?

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's hard to believe the problem is the cable signal itself since your internet isn't doing it. Interference from another device is conceivable but is a long shot.

Do you know anyone in your vicinity who would let you take your Tivo to their house and set it up? Well, never mind. That would most likely require re-pairing your CableCARD on their account -- way too much trouble.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Go to Account & System Info->TiVo box Diagnostics, Scroll down, Look for RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected. If these are rising every 1:45, then you have some type of disturbance on your line. Disturbance can be at specific frequencies so it may affect some services but not others.

9. Sep 7, 2017 #9 of 15
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    posting in case others are having the same problem & doing a search. I'm on Spectrum cable with cable card & a tuning adapter.

My Romiao was cutting out to black screen. I did not check to see if the menu's were still visible. If they are, then the problem is with the signal, if the menus cut out it's a tivo problem.
    I did a bunch of tivo restarts- it worked for 20 mins then started cutting out every 5 min or so. I then did a Tuning adapter hard restart. (unpluge for 15 sec) This seems to have fixed the problem. My tivo has seems to have been functioning normally & receiving signal for the past 8 hrs.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Where are you? Last few days I've had a problem tuning to a few channels some are or aren't SDV so it's not the tuning adapter. I am assuming it's a Spectrum problem. When I went to the Specrum web site to get a box refresh, I got a message that there was an "outage" in the area, but I don't know that that was really the problem.

11. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    I'm in New Hampshire

12. firedoctor

firedoctor New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Found this thread because I was having a similar issue of my tivo retuning every 1:17.

The problem went away (at least temporarily) when I switched tuners from 0 with the live tv button. I’m in Rochester, NY, Spectrum, using a cable card m with a Cisco STA1520 tuning adaptor.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Did you get a message prior to the picture cutting out? Yesterday I got the message "still watching this channel? before the picture went away unless I hit select. It was on a SDV channel obviously. Could have been similar to what is happening with you and switching tuner to a nonSDV channel stopped it from happening.

14. firedoctor

firedoctor New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    For the 1:17 tuning issue, no messages. I believe there’s actually a one minute timeout on something, but it takes a little bit to react. It’s really annoying because I’m starting to see recordings stop after a minute.

I also sometime see a “this channel is temporarily unavailable” message and after a few times the channel comes in.

I’ve swapped out the SDV adaptor but it’s still happening.

My region recently went to 100% switched and I strongly suspect this is a problem with their implementation.

15. GengisKhan

GengisKhan New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Are you still seeing this issue? I'm in Rochester, NY and having the exact same problem. Mine happens once or twice a day. See this thread:

Problems with Cisco STA1520, possibly, 6 flashing lights