Cable modem with Moca Router

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hurricane1234, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Hurricane1234

Hurricane1234 New Member

Apr 4, 2017

Advertisements

I am looking for s decent router that is capable of hooking up s Bolt and mini's. My internet provider is Charter Spectrum in Mass. I called service and they do not seem to offer a moca enabled router.
    I need >6 e. ports. Thanks. When trying to establish the connection I am receiving a error V70m on the mini and Moca connection can not be established on the Bolt. Can someone recommend a good unit to purchase?

Thanks
    Mike

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First, re: the error message on the BOLT...
    See here: BOLT BUG: Updated HD UI on BOLT incorrectly reporting C33 error on MoCA network creation

If your BOLT can connect via Ethernet to your router, then you do NOT need a MoCA-capable cable gateway device, the BOLT can establish the MoCA network on your coax lines. If you're seeing a C33 error message when trying to create the MoCA network on the BOLT (selecting "MoCA Bridge"), the above "BOLT Bug" thread applies.

As the thread describes, what does the BOLT's network status page report after you try to create the MoCA network on the BOLT?

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... I posted the following as a reply to a nearly identical scenario on the TiVo sub-Reddit...

------
    Ok, I've reviewed all the comments in the thread. The BOLT appears to be configured correctly, as a MoCA bridge, with its network status displaying as "Ethernet+MoCA."

What hasn't been discussed is how the coax outlet to which the BOLT is connected links back to the TiVo Mini's coax outlet. One can't always assume the coax connections are in place. So, to that end, can you inspect and then describe how the coax lines to the two rooms in question are linked, and how they're linked to the provider's incoming coax line?

I'd also recommend temporarily taking the Mini to the BOLT's location to initialize the Mini via Ethernet, and then test it to verify it can connect via MoCA.
    • Install the Mini, temporarily, somewhere that it can connect it to a display and via Ethernet to the router.

• Run the Mini through its setup process, including software updates and activation. (NOTE: See this post on TCF for key information related to activating a Mini.) After activation, verify the Mini can access live TV and prior recordings, access streaming services, etc.

• Once the Mini has been verified via Ethernet, it's time to test its MoCA functionality. When it's convenient (e.g. when the BOLT is not recording a critical program), you can disconnect the incoming coax from the BOLT and make a direct coax connection between the BOLT's coax port and the Mini's coax port. With the devices linked directly via coax, change the Mini to "Connect using MoCA."

With only a single coax cable between them, there should be nothing preventing the Mini from connecting as a MoCA client. Once the Mini appears to have connected, run it through its paces -- but understanding that live TV won't be an option since the BOLT has been disconnected from the coax signal. The Mini should still be able to playback previous recordings and access streaming services.

So... if the Mini's MoCA functionality checks-out, the connectivity between the locations needs to be reviewed, as mentioned above.

4. Hurricane1234

Hurricane1234 New Member

Apr 4, 2017

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

???

6. Hurricane1234

Hurricane1234 New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Yes I am getting a C33 Error on the Bolt. I literally was on the phone with Tvio Tech support for over 2 hours. After running several Service Connections and reboots we could not work past the V33 and V70 error codes. The mini was able to do a update on the cable connection just could not connect to the Bolt DVR

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Wait, so your Mini was able to do all its software updates and initialization, but just failed to find and connect to your DVR?

If so, the NOTE in my second bullet, above, is what you'll want to review, I believe...

Your MoCA connection is working FINE if the Mini was able to connect to the mothership and get its updates. Sounds like you're just experiencing the typical activation hiccup. (Though it's not impossible that you have some other odd circumstance; but you need to review the linked post and follow its instructions to be sure.)

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    When you can, could you check and report back with the IP addresses associated with your BOLT and the Mini. You can find this info via the "View network status" screen.