1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable modem with integrated MoCA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mln01, Dec 30, 2015.

1. mln01

mln01 New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I have searched for an existing thread on this topic but found nothing.

Has anyone found or tried using a cable modem with a built-in MoCA network adapter? Does such a thing exist? That is usable on Time Warner Cable?

My cable modem and WiFi router are located away from both of my TiVo boxes (a TiVo Elite and a four-tuner TiVo Premiere). Right now I’m using Netgear Powerline 500 adapters (XAV5001) between my WiFi router and one of the TiVos that is the MoCA “mothership.” The other TiVo and three Minis connect via MoCA only. The setup works well, even for streaming, despite the Powerline weak link, but I’m interested in an upgrade that would eliminate the Powerline adapters.

I suppose I could get an Actiontec or other MoCA adapter and use it next to the cable modem and WiFi adapter, but that would require adding a cable splitter (combiner?) and I don’t know how well that would work. The “splitter” would have the cable-in connection on its single-terminal side and the cable modem and MoCA adapter on its twin-terminal side with an ethernet cable running from the WiFi router to the MoCA adapter. Would that even work?

Much better, it seems, would be a cable modem that includes a built-in MoCA adapter and that would use one coax wall outlet for both.

The one example I found with a Google search was the Cisco DPC3827, but it’s not yet clear to me whether or not it's available at retail (as opposed to being a cable company provided device only). The PDF says it’s MoCA spec 1.0 whereas the new Actiontec adapters are labeled MoCA v2.0.

Bonus question — is MoCA catching on or is it not successful? Seems like TiVo is the only application where it’s used or discussed much.

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    http://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SBG6782AC-DOCSIS-AC1750-Router/dp/B00GJ7Y7MU
    The above is pretty much the only retail modem/router with MoCA 1.1. Generally, techies hate this kind of things (gateways) due to poor wireless performance and troubleshooting hardware issues but others love the stuff. Your 4 tuner Premiere has builtin MoCA capability the 2 tuner does not. A MoCA adapter would be needed for any Tivo without the MoCA builtin.
    Other "techie" options would be to leave your cable modem and use a Verizon Fios router, as these have and use MoCA natively, you would need to put a splitter with one leg feeding the cable modem and the other going to the Verizon router. The Ethernet from the cable modem goes to the Ethernet WAN port of the Verizon router.
    Will MoCA catch on...actually it has quite a long while ago and it has gone through 3 versions, MoCA 1.0, MoCA 1.1, and now MoCA 2.0 devices. MoCA is used extensively on almost all major cable and satellite systems. All of those Whole Home DVR systems are all MoCA based and it is standard on all of the newest equipment....the average consumer is simply unaware.
    One thing of import, with almost all use of MoCA, a MoCA filter /POE or Whole Home DVR filter will be needed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home and you might need another for your cable modem if it is not MoCA friendly.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Realize that modem with Moca is completely unnecessary. It's not better, just rare and expensive. Just keep your modem and get a Moca adapter. That's what 99.9% of us do (not counting Fios and Comcast people), and it works fine.

4. sjsaliba

sjsaliba New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I have used the Actiontec adapter to bridge modem to router for several years. I used this with Actiontec adapter on my non-MoCa Tivos & now use this with Built in MoCa Tivos. This setup works great.
    DO NOT buy/ try Arris all in one Surfboard combined modem, router, MoCa!
    I suffered through 2 units, numerous calls to Time Warner, Arris tech/customer support, & a year of trying to use that setup! I finally gave up & returned to Actiontec adapter bridge modem to router.
    If you are still interested in the Arris Surfboard, I am not using mine. I will let you try it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  5. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    A simpler solution, with no splitter: connect from the wall to the MoCA adapter "Coax In" port, then connect from the MoCA adapter "TV/STB out" port to the cable modem. This will result in stronger MoCA signals throughout the system, and the MoCA adapter will block the MoCA signals from reaching the modem, in case your modem is one of the models that doesn't play well with MoCA.

I would suggest the Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA adapter that TiVo sells. It is MoCA 1.1, which is completely compatible with all of your current equipment.

MoCA is at least as successful as FiOS, since FiOS is MoCA based.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    krkaufman and rjonas1 like this.
  6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    DirecTV also uses Moca (on a different frequency band than cable). Comcast uses it too.

7. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Seems like Comcast screwed up their implementation somehow. There are threads about them purposely disabling MoCA on (some?) their equipment because of problems.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Strictly speaking, you're not going to find a "cable modem" that also provides MoCA bridging, though more recent cable modems may list a MoCA filter in their specs (which simply means the modem can coexist on coax lines with an active MoCA network). As you've seen, you may find "cable gateway" (combo modem/router) devices that include MoCA bridging support, but they're generally more expensive and, as has already been mentioned, most people will recommend use of a standalone MoCA adapter, pretty much exactly as you've described it (or using snerd's pass-through variation).

The reason you won't see a function-specific cable modem including a MoCA bridge is because the whole point of MoCA is to bridge your LAN traffic onto your coax lines, and a cable modem would not have any means of connecting your coax lines to your LAN; the cable modem will only have a coax port and a "WAN" Ethernet port, for connecting to your router. That's where a standalone MoCA adapter comes in, to bridge the LAN ports on your router to your coax lines.

A combo modem/router, on the other hand, *would* have access to both your coax lines and LAN, so it's only a matter of whether the manufacturer chooses to include the feature in a given model. (However, if you were to configure such a gateway in "bridge mode," you will have put the gateway into modem-only mode and would again be in the situation where the device wouldn't have access to both your coax lines and your LAN, and so any MoCA-bridging capability would be lost.)

p.s. snerd's suggested pass-through connection for connecting a MoCA adapter, modem and router is typically the recommended solution, as highlighted in Option 2 of BigJimOutlaw's "Setting up a MoCA network" post, here: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9551498

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. rjonas1

rjonas1 New Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Didn't completely solve my issue but put my downstream power levels back into the "acceptable" realm... My major problem is the power levels spike when it rains, so definitely an OUTside issue but a step in the right direction! Thanks snerd!!

10. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018

DUDE! Gemius! I have been trying to get the voice recognition to work on the remote for 3 months now!

OK PEEPS!
    Here ya go, if you have a COX TUNING ADAPTER, this is how the wiring should be routed!

Incoming cable > To: Proper splitter compatable with your bandwith of cable! 1 ghz splitter!
    Then > From splitter to COX TUNING ADAPTER INPUT
    2nd Output> To: Cable Modem
    3rd Then > OUTPUT OF TUNING ADAPTER To TIVO RF INPUT
    (Or another 1GHZ Spitter if you have another cable source)
    (And of course USB to Tuning adapter and connected to TIVO USB Input)

If you want to voice option on the remote to work with Cox Cable this is how you must hook it up!!!
    If you spit the cable the way Cox tells you it wont work ( The Remote Voice Function that is ) The cable and program guide will work, but wont open ports properly due to the way the signal is routed if you have a Cable Modem / Router Set Up! TiVo and Cox have been bangin their heads against the door trying to figure out what the issue was, I figured it out this morning thanks to this gentlemans advice, slightly different...but works great now! Share with all Cox Tivo Users!

11. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    PS: BTW If you own a series 3 Bolt you dont need a MOCA Adapter

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... BOLTs are "Series 6" in the TiVo line-up, and a MoCA adapter may be needed depending on the particular setup (e.g. if the MoCA-capable DVR cannot be connected via Ethernet to the router LAN).

13. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    My bad I meant series six ....
    But anyway all working great now remember Cox users don't split the feed at the cable and run one to the box and one to the tuning adapter
    Run one from the wall to the tuning adapter and one to your cable modem run the output of the tuning adapter to your TiVo box and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This configuration is problematic if the DVR is networked via MoCA, both in having the DVR connected via the Tuning Adapter's RF/STB Out pass-through port (since MoCA signals are severely attenuated via this port), and possibly in using just 1GHz splitters (recommended are MoCA 2.0 5-1675 MHz models from Holland, Verizon, and a few others). It also doesn't mention any "PoE" MoCA filters.

As for the premise of the post, I have a hard time seeing how this configuration has any effect on the VOX Remote functioning. I'm more inclined to believe that the latest Hydra software update, which just started rolling-out (link), may have hit your box.

What software version is running on your DVR, now?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As stated above, they most definitely will not be "good to go" if the DVR is networked via MoCA (or desired to be, or acting as the MoCA bridge).

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Without any software update or other changes, my VOX started to work last week on a Mini. I guess my ISP could have changed something. We are getting ready for a TiVo rollout. Hmmm.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good point. Rather than just a software update for the boxes, it’s possible that TiVo fixed/tweaked something on the back end that remedied whatever was ailing the VOX Remote functionality. My skepticism remains that the physical connection configuration described above had anything to do with the VOX Remote beginning to function as expected.

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That whole post should be pulled. Lots of bad and misleading advice in it.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. bestia

bestia New Member

Oct 12, 2017
    I think I understand how, in a general sense, MOCA works but I want to make sure my idea for the setup will work before shelling out for MOCA equipment. My setup is as follows: The coax cabling goes from the ONT to a fourway splitter. One output goes to the MI424WR (Rev. I) and the rest to other outlets throughout the house to connect TVs and other devices. As I understand it, MOCA adapters allow the use of existing coax cabling as the physical media for an ethernet network. My preference (assuming that the MI424WR has built in MOCA capabilities) is use the ECB3500T Multi-band MoCA Network Adapter at one or more of the TV locations to connect various devices (TV, Blu ray player, TiVos, etc.) to the network and have them communicate. Is this workable? Also, will the devices that are connected via MOCA adapters be able to communicate with those devices on the network that connect via the MI424WR WiFi?

Included below is a list of the equipment to be used

TP-Link Archer C7 router

Actiontec ECB3500T Multi-band MoCA Network Adapter

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, what you've described is a simple MoCA setup, and it should work ... though you may want to reconsider the choice of MoCA gear depending on your desired throughput and/or costs. (Aside from the lack of availability of the ECB3500T.)

p.s. See here.

Last edited: May 2, 2018