Cable line Frustration (venting)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dr_Zoidberg, Sep 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sep 3, 2019 #1 of 27
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Advertisements

I moved my Premiere XL4 from the bedroom down to my office. That location had a TiVo DT connected to a cable box a month or two ago, but I traded it in for a Bolt Vox in the most recent trade-in deal. That was there for a while, but I decided to move it to the bedroom as I have a 4K tv there now.

Anyway, I put the XL4 into standby mode and unplugged it last week, installed the Bolt Vox up there. Since then, something happened to the feed into my office. I set up the XL4 this afternoon, and got no cable signal to it. I tried putting the feed directly into the TV, but its digital tuner would only complain about low signals. I even rescanned for channels on the TV. I did get a flash of a channel once or twice, but that's about it. Tried a different cable line from the wall connection, and it didn't work for either the TV or the TiVo. I even switched the splitter from an older four-way to a three-way in the basement (since I don't use the 4th line), where the Fios signal comes from, and nothing.

It's annoying because with the line as is, the MOCA connection to the TiVo is definitely working. I connected to the TiVo service properly, and I streamed from one of the other TiVos to the XL4 and it worked with Hi-Def videos. I would think that if the line is bad, it wouldn't work, but it just seems like the signal for Fios is blocked and/or the cable is damaged so that only some frequencies pass through. I still can't figure out what would have caused it to fail in the last week or so.

Argh. Guess I have to redo that cable run, which was here when I moved in 11 years ago (as were the others).

I haven't missed anything, have I? I mean, since both the TV and the TiVo don't get a signal, and I swapped out everything in between, except for the cable in the wall, it's the cable in the wall, isn't it?

2. Sep 3, 2019 #2 of 27
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Cable TV signals are scrambled. Your TV won't be able to tune any signal on that line. It does sound like you have a signal on the line, though.

Your TiVo can tune the signal, but requires a CableCard to achieve the decryption. Is there a CableCard in the TiVo?

There's a Signal Strength meter built in to the TiVo's. Does it indicate signal? It should be able to report it, even if it's scrambled.

Report back?

-KP

3. Sep 3, 2019 #3 of 27
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

I read up on FiOS, and what I found is that broadcast channels should not require the CableCard, and that the TV (with a QAM Tuner, which it has) should be able to get those signals, at the very least. I ran a channel scan on the TV and came up empty. I didn't let it fully run, though (stopped around 50%). I should have gotten something! When I did a partial scan with my previous provider (also digital), I got the non-premium channels, no problem.

The TiVo has a CableCard, as do my other two. I even pulled this one out and re-inserted it, and it immediately put up a screen, saying, "Getting Channel List", so I presume it would only do that if it were authorized to do so. Maybe I should have them re-authorize it, to be sure, though. I'll do that this evening after work.

If FiOS says it's authorized, I'll go back to the TV connection and let the tuner do a complete scan

I did also run the signal strength meter on some SD and HD broadcast channels, as well as some Premiums. All were Strength Zero.

4. Sep 3, 2019 #4 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I didn’t see it if you did so, but have you brought the BOLT back to the location to verify it’s a signal issue? Have you tried the XL4 at another location?

5. Sep 3, 2019 #5 of 27
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Advertisements

I have not, for either option you suggest. Hopefully one of those might shed some light on this.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 27
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    It's the line to that room.

I had Verizon reset the cablecard, and that didn't work. After 45 minutes on the line with the tech, he waited while I moved the XL4 back to the bedroom and got it to work there.. I reused the original cable from the wall outlet, and the other end into the TV, and ran the channel scan, and Bingo, that worked, too. I don't know what the heck is going on, but maybe the connection from the splitter to the cable outlet is intermittent, and me moving between cables got it back. It's late, so I have not reconnected the TiVo back to the original cable line. I might have time to do that tomorrow.

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7 of 27
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Pull the plate off the wall and check to coax connector inside. Make sure it is firmly on the wire, no frayed wires sticking out, and the center wire is long enough to make adequate connection. Also check that wire where it splits out from the splitter for the same.

If all is good, consider using another splitter to make sure the splitter did not go bad. (Unlikely but possible)

8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 27
    Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I'll just replace it when I have time probably tomorrow after work. The plate is in an awkward location so all the gyrations to remove the screws should be the hardest part. The line itself just goes through the floor to the utility room, and the splitter is close to the ceiling directly below, so it's simple enough to run a new cable, and I have one leftover from when I had a cable box.

Already did that.

9. Sep 5, 2019 #9 of 27
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Use RG6 cable as it will carry signal better. Some cheaper cables are RG59. They work okay with short distances

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Since the only thing you actually handled was the coax connector it could be that came loose. I would cut the connector off and crimp a new one on.

11. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    The mystery continues.

I ran a new line from the splitter through the hole were the outlet has been (haven't put it back in place yet). At one point, I got the XL4 will to tune to some SD public access channels, but that didn't last. Signal Strength on the TiVo was 65 or worse. It won't tune to those channels any more. I then moved the connection to the TV directly (same cable), and it will now tune to all channels, both SD and HD, as far as I checked, and they were all clear as a bell.

I brought back the Bolt Vox and set it up, since was originally here, and it works perfectly. Signal Strength is 85-100 on all the channels I checked, both SD and HD.

I've used three separate patch cables (two if which are RG6 cable) between that outlet cable and these devices, and the only one not working is the XL4. Even swapped the splitter again, and gave this room the connection with the smallest gain drop, just for giggles. Nothing seems to work.

I've done multiple restarts and power resets after going into standby mode. Heck, I even switched off MOCA and used a TiVo wireless adapter, in case that was causing interference with the signal. XL4 won't cooperate

The one baffling point in this is that I brought the XL4 to the master bedroom, and plugged it in. It worked fine there, but that was a couple days ago. I haven't redone that move, but if it works, I have no clue what the deal is.

Could it be that the tuner is just giving out?

12. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    It certainly sounds like the tuner in the XL4 especially if it no longer works in the master bedroom. Might be interesting what the signal strength the Bolt and XL4 report for the bedroom. Would expect it to be similar to the readings you got at this trouble spot. Unless the cable length to the bedroom is vastly different. Only thing I can think of is if the contacts in the XL4 tuner has some corrosion or oxidation on them. It would affect the tuners signal strength.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    One of those patch cables I used in the office was the one from the bedroom. I put that cable back in service in the bedroom.

I took the XL4 up to the bedroom late last night, and it works there. Go figure. Side by side, I ran the signal strengths, and the XL4 is getting consistently lower strengths, in the 70-75 range. Moving the cable to the Bolt Vox, the same channels were 89-100. Previously, the Vox got the same strengths in the office, when the XL4 got nothing.

About the only thing I haven't done is remove the splitter, and run the connection directly to the XL4 in the office. Can't think of any other options, besides leaving the XL4 up in the master bedroom and put the Vox in the office.

This all started because I wanted to put a 4K TV in the master bedroom and pair it with a device that outputs 4K. #frustrated.

14. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That doesn't really mean very much, when an XL4 shows the same signal strength as a Bolt it is pretty much a coincidence. The signal strength isn't calibrated to an absolute standard in either family.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    But the Bolt (not Bolt+) has AGC which tries to maintain a signal % of 90%. The Premiere series does not have that ability. I have a splitter feeding a basic Roamio and a Premiere. The Roamio is 90% on about 200 channels while the Premiere is 78% to 85% on those channels. These numbers are all from a cable feed. On an OTA the number would be 72%. Again, the AGC only applies to a basic Roamio and a Bolt.

16. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Pretty much any consumer product with an OTA tuner includes an AGC circuit. That is part of the reason that signals strengths expressed as a percentage aren't truly comparable.

17. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I was not completely aware of AGC being in some models of TiVos and not in others. I thought they all had AGC circuitry. Where can I find some information on this.

18. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    What I was interested was any difference between locations on the same unit. This could give a rough idea if there is a problem with the feed in some way.

19. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Can try an amp on that line to boost the signals. It might be as JoeKustra implied, that the AGC on your bolt is better than the XL4 and can boost the signals for better reception.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They may, and probably do, all have AGC. But I can only report what I own and what others have posted.

Further information is in the TiVo Reference Manual. [that's a joke]