Cable company uses ethernet and not coax...assume can't use Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unclehonkey, Apr 15, 2019.

1. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    So as I mentioned in the delighted thread I will be moving in June to an apartment that is much closer to work (1.5 miles vs 25-30 right now) and included in rent is internet (30/10) and full blown cable (all stations minus movie stations). There are 2 cable companies in town. Charter/Spectrum and Consolidated (the Incumbent Telco). Consolidated has the contract for the building and seeing in the office they use ethernet from the wall to the box. Someone mentioned a MOCA adapter but I'm confused by that. (the next 3 posts after the link mentions the confusion)

Today I swung by the laundromat (new washer comes tomorrow but I needed clothes today) and they have Consolidated there and verified the receiver is hooked up by ethernet.

So I take it my Tivo wont work with it? (I do get a DVR included with cable so have to check out the specs...edit: called and they said I can record 4 things so that isnt too bad).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    SOL is my guess.

3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, if this is a telco that's supplying service and it connects via ethernet, then it's certainly IPTV, not QAM-based "regular" cable TV. Which means that their TV service is NOT compatible with CableCARD and therefore won't work with your TiVo.

Bigg likes this.
  4. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Thats what I figured. Well like I say the rep I spoke to said their DVR can record 4 things (because they have whole home DVR) so I guess I'll see how well (or bad) their DVR is. I'll ask my boss at work today because he has Consolidated too.
    Worst case is I transfer the few things on the Roamio that I will want to keep over to the TivoHD and sell the Roamio. I planned on setting up a small antenna on my deck there to get the 2 OTA stations available (CBS/FOX) with the TivoHD and use as a backup (or if I record more than 4 things)

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Sounds like a plan. Yeah, if you think you'll be living at this new place for a long while (and therefore won't have a use for the Roamio), you may as well sell it. If it has lifetime service, it should fetch a decent amount on eBay. Of course, as with any tech gear, the older it gets, the less money it'll bring.

6. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You could just get Spectrum for you TiVo, but that would be pretty dumb if Consolidated is included in your rent. If they have a bulk deal with Consolidated where it is included in your rent, Spectrum might not even service that building, as it wouldn't be worth their effort, since no one would sign up when they're already being forced to pay for another service.

mschnebly likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm on the side of SOL. Will you get a guide (ignoring other problems)? Go to TiVo Online, do not login, and hit Guide. Now enter your zipcode in the box. That should show the providers for your zipcode. Without a guide a TiVo is not so much fun.

8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Do the OTA thing with the Tivo. Use your providers dvr for cable type of networks. Gives you more storage room. There is never too much storage room.

Bigg and Mikeguy like this.
  9. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    well for sure its a 1 year lease at the apartment and yes the Tivo has Lifetime (and was upgraded with a cable card slot)

10. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    cant. This is a newer (<2 yr old) building and Consolidated has the exclusive contract for the complex. There are 3 buildings.
    Seems like Consolidated is doing this with newer buildings/new construction there. Get the exclusive agreement for the complex and block Charter from getting in there. I notice also that the internet option they provide to the complexes is a unique speed apparently offered just to complexes in a bulk rate. 30/10. If you go on Consolidated's site it goes from 25/3 to 40/5

The fact that I have had limited basic/lifeline/local tv plus (name changes depending on provider) or OTA for the last 8 years it will be weird to have full blown cable. I verified its extended package which is all the channels except the movie stations.

11. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    It shows CCI as an option but I dont understand the question. Since it looks like CCI only uses ethernet to connect to boxes I couldnt use a Tivo anyways

12. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Oh I know you can never have too much storage room :)

Now to find out the hard drive size on their DVR

13. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I know this happens time and time again, but it is actually illegal per FCC rules. Successfully fighting it, however, could take a while, and would likely end up in court.

14. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    The landlord has to allow competitors to install cables ?

15. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It is not illegal for the agreement to stipulate that the signing entity (i.e., the apartment complex owner/management) can not contract with a competitor for services similar to the services provided under the bulk agreement; in fact, that is a typical clause for these arrangements. That should not prevent an individual from subscribing for services from a different provider, whether video or HSI. Of course, there are other factors involved, such as the availability of other providers in the subject's area and the delivery methodology.

16. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Yeah, they get pretty creative, in following the letter while violating the spirit. Lots of articles out there on the subject if one is interested in reading up on the subject. I actually looked into it a few years ago when my daughter moved into an apartment near campus that had one of those shady contract setups. Didn't take long to decide it wasn't worth the time or money to fight it, for the short time she would be there. Which is exactly what the way they want it.

17. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Well in a listings for different places they say
    " Consolidated Communications is our exclusive provider servicing for your cable, internet, and phone needs. "

Now in cases where they say that but dont provide anything then I could see the issue. But in my case they (the landlord who also owns the buildings) has a bulk agreement and includes it in the rent. So why go elsewhere (unless you really want to pay twice)?

18. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    But when they include it in the rent it seems goofy to get something else. I mean if lets say the only package they provided was say limited basic (lifeline) where you get like 35-40 channels then I could see looking outside of that. But when they are giving you the top package why pay twice? I guess if Spectrum offered something Consolidated doesn't like 2 extra out of market channels (a 2nd ABC and PBS but in SD only)

I know I lived in a complex that had a contract with Directv through a 3rd party A-Hole errr ;) Access Media 3. As part of your rent you got Directv Choice (which at the time was the bottom package) and up to 4 SD receivers free. If you wanted HD or DVR you paid the fee for that and had to pay for the equipment (at a higher rate). Since I had a Genie (HR34) from my house all I was charged was $20 ($10 HD fee, $10 DVR fee). But I know you could get Comcast if you wanted (folks had them for internet but D* for TV). Comcast could get into the main tenant boxes downstairs (where it all came in) probably because AM3 didnt do internet. In this case since Conosolidated is the ILEC (Incumbent Telco) maybe they can have exclusive rights?

Well what happens when the building is being built and they dont run coax knowing the "exclusive provider" uses cat5/cat6?

19. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Got a TV in the bedroom? You can always use the lifetime roamio there for your OTA stations with an indoor antenna possibly.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's not true. Exclusive contracts are illegal. Period. However, if Consolidated got a bulk contract for both TV and internet, then Charter would have had no reason to build out into the building, so it likely has no Charter wiring, which would create a de-facto exclusivity, even though it's not exclusivity per se. That's a weird speed tier. Is it VDSL based or fiber? Is there an option to upgrade to a faster tier?

The problem is that Charter just isn't going to build out into a building where another provider has an exclusive. My grandmother's senior living complex has a build deal with Comcast (they had Bright House previously, and switched since they are about 2 miles from a town with Comcast) for bulk TV, so AT&T has little incentive to upgrade their infrastructure to provide video, since no one would subscribe to it. They have to compete with Comcast for internet and phone, who already has active wiring in every unit, although some of the old people still have slow DSL and POTS phone service, and I don't think Charter even services her building for internet anymore now that Comcast has RFoG in there, so my best guess is that their HFC plant is disconnected/ abandoned in place. With a bulk deal for TV *and* internet, there is zero reason for Charter to bother wiring the OP's place.

That's super sketchy wording, and they should probably change the phrasing, but it is likely that Consolidated Communications is the only provider that actually services the building.

Nope. Illegal under federal law. But they would likely end up with de-facto exclusivity due to the bulk deal anyway.

There probably is coax somewhere, as that would be completely moronic not to run it, although maybe the people who built it are just morons. In LA, AT&T and Charter got super sketchy in order to block out WebPass, as AT&T ran fiber and no copper at all so that WebPass couldn't come in and re-terminate the CAT-5e as Ethernet in order to work with their microwave backhaul service delivered via Ethernet. Once the building is completed, no matter who ran the drops to the units, the building owns it, and any provider can come hook into it. For example, Cox ran a bunch of fiber and coax in my building, but Comcast could come in and build new plant into the building, and just take the drops from Cox and use them to service customers. It's unlikely Comcast would overbuild Cox since they are buddy-buddy, but legally, it would be fine.