Cable Company Ripoff

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lautry, Aug 23, 2007.

1. lautry

lautry New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Panama City...

Advertisements

I recently upgraded to a series three TIVO and ordered 2 cable cards from my provider (Knology). My bill arrived and my charge was 3.95 for the extra cable card, but they charged me for two hd services at 9.95 each and something called a digital outlet for 8 bucks. The reason they explained had to do with my ability to take the extra cable card to another tv and view hd. Knology did not or would not try to understand both cards went in the same device. Knology also said if I could record two hd programs at once, I should pay for two hd services. I realize this may have been discussed before, but I am a new member and I would like some ammo before I complain to the CEO of Knology.
    Thanks

2. edge64

edge64 Edge

Dec 23, 2006
    Prattville,...
  3. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    If they have a dual tuner HD DVR, ask them if they charge two hd services @ 9.95 each? I bet not.

I quickly looked at the other thread...oh my god, it's like a cable company from the 1980's trying to deal with technology from the 21st century....I can only imagine how many people they've driven to dish and directtv. Good luck, hopefully you can work it out and help educate a few people.

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Well, to be fair, anything that takes a CableCard (like the TiVo S3) won't work with satellite services at all.

5. lautry

lautry New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Panama City...

Advertisements

Edge64, thanks for the tip. I searched for posts on Knology and found I was not alone. The posts provided a wealth of info but not much hope resolving the fact that Knology is "having their way with me" I am a captive customer in that I live in a condo where Knology is pre wired and the "only game in town". I am a former directv satellite user who loved it but satellite was not available because they would not string a ground cable from the 12th floor. Thanks again for your help. I will not give up until I finally get to the FCC.

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If you have line of sight to OTA transmitters you can always go that route.
    Or
    If you have a south horizon view you can install a satellite dish on your personal space in the condo.

FCC says so.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Glad I don't have to mess with the ripoff cable companies.

8. lautry

lautry New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Panama City...
    Teeps
    Thanks for the suggestion. I assume OTA means over the air or airwaves. No help there as I face directly to the Gulf of Mexico and no line of sight is available and there are only two reasonably local stations. I tried to transfer my directv service when I moved here but they said they would not install because they could not string a ground cable from the dish because I live on the 12th floor. That might have been a bunch of bull but that is how I ended up in the "Knology Kneighborhood" and the screwing began.

9. hijammer

hijammer New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    That is bull you could tie to the electrical ground if needed or set it up your self go ungrounded and risk electrical strike