Cable Companies should be thrilled with Tivo CableCard customers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by moyekj, Aug 13, 2007.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's obviously well documented in this forum and elsewhere the general apathy and sometimes outright hostility cable company representatives behave towards Tivo users trying to get their Tivo working properly with CableCards. But, if they stopped to look at the bigger picture it's actually a good thing they have customers such as us. For many Tivo users in order to minimize service fees we are committing to 3-year contracts with Tivo which also means we are in essence committing to 3 years of continued cable service instead of switching over to satellite (more if the solution is working well for you). Therefore they should be thrilled to have a customer base that is locked into their cable TV service with further disincentives to switch to satellite.

So next time you get "attitude" from cable company representatives it may help to mention this point to them...

EDIT: The other think I forgot to mention is there seems to be a fairly significant number of satellite users that switched over to cable primarily to take advantage of these new Tivo HD units (S3 and THD). This again re-enforces the fact that cable companies should be trying to help the Tivo user base instead of hinder.

2. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    good point!
    --
    Alan :D

3. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    That is a good point, and worth a try. I'll be interested in hearing how this works out, as as soon as my university campus allows digital signals to pass through their system from comcast I'll be trying to get a hold of 2 cable cards.

4. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    The only reason I'm switching from satellite is the new HDTivo and there will be a three year committment, after which I can't go back to satellite without some serious personal expense disincentives. They better not give me any guff about cablecards.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I suspect that all the cable company executives can see is that third-party equipment with cable cards would threaten their set-top box rental and advertising revenue, and would allow customers to buy content from outside sources (e.g., Unbox vs. their VOD). :rolleyes:

6. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    It's why I switched; although we could go from cable to fios... plus the dvr service fee is money for nothing they miss... amazed we dont get super high cablecard prices.

7. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Lets hope they get two way resolved :)

8. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Yes, they should be thrilled. Many of us are coming to cable from DirecTV for this product.

9. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    You have to remember. Cable companies are owned & opperated mostly by those of the "old Gaurd". They think & opperate in the old ways of doing business.

It is all about the bottom line. How much money can they make. They don't always see the whole picture of what should be done to make them the most money.

Its like Coal Mine owners. They try to mine coal for as cheaply as possible. They cut corners whereever they can. Even by not following federal laws. In hopes they can make a few extra bucks.

However, as soon as their is a mine accident (like the one in the news) the mine comes to a complete halt & in the long run. It costs them more money then it would have to begin with.

What am I saying? Just cause your Rich & you own or opperate a major corporation doesn't mean your still not a DUMB ASS!

TexasGrillchef

I agree with you 100%

10. bhaas

bhaas New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    MD
    one-way CCs do nothing for them. On-Demand is the cash cow, and every person who uses a CC is one less person they can suck those on-demand fees from.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I may have been spending too much time in the sun lately, but I actually believe that Comcast is trying to improve it's pricing and service for Tivo users. I think that this has started since the Tivo/Comcast alliance for providing Tivo software for the Comcast DVR.

While on my local AVS Comcast site I received this response from someone who supposedly had a friend "high up in Comcast":

Comcast has also provided specific links on their website for Tivo users:

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqCategory.ashx?CatId=461

Part of their problem is trying to absorb their new former-TW customers, and changing those billing systems over to the Comcast system.

I have never been a Comcast apologist (see my signature), but I do sense an improvement, and can only hope that it continues.

Contrary to what some have stated here, the Comcast executives are not idiots. They are well respected in the business community and are successfully growing their business.

I will now put on my suit of armor, raise my shield and wait for the arrows to fall.

12. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    The number of extra users they are getting because of the HD Tivos is noise to the cable companies. They normally churn more users in a month than all the HD Tivo users put together. The additional expense, mostly due to their own incompetence, is not worth the few users who switch.

My cable company, cablevision, worked very hard to get my cablecards working, and they spent a lot of billable hours to do it. I got help from an engineer (not Wilt) who went out of his way to work with Tivo on my issues. And I was already an existing customer who was replacing their STB with the S3.

13. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    jrm01,
    I concur. While Comcast has been slow to get up to speed on cablecard installations, I get the sense that they want to improve. I have received three follow-up calls from Comcast to ensure that my installation issues have been resolved. The call from the supervisor on Sunday really helped me to believe that they want to make this a better experience going forward (of course the looming competitive threat of Verizon Fios that could also supply my Internet, TV, and phone service helps).

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Mike:

Was the supervisor named Mike. I spoke to him for about an hour on saturday and even mentioned your problems and successes to him.

15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    TiVo would LOVE to be able to provide access to those services. But the issue, discussed at length in this forum, is that the cable companies are being down-right obstructionist about a creating a standard for two-way that makes sense for consumer electronics companies such as TiVo. The cable companies' current proposal, which requires that any box supporting two-way must in addition download and run the user interface software from the cable company (part of OCAP), is a non-starter.