Cable Cards and Replacement Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Grandpasteve, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Grandpasteve

Grandpasteve New Member

Jan 13, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD and I am a Comcast subscriber in the Coatesville PA service area. I have reboots and the 3 hour wait green screens suddenly. Before I replace a drive, how can I tell if the cable card is paired? I don't care about my current recordings, so If there is a way I can tell if I can "Instant Cake" a drive that would be great.

Thanks. I did search for an answer, but I don't see it.

2. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    I've never had a problem with cable cards pairing after a drive replacement. I've done a couple on my S3, one as an upgrade and the other for a spare. I think it's a firmware thing and not a software thing. More specifically, I believe the card reads the TiVo's number from the firmware and sends it along with its number to the cable company end to get authorization for the pairing. Though, I'm not positive about that. In any case, I haven't had a problem after a drive replacement.

3. Grandpasteve

Grandpasteve New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks, that makes sense to me. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I have changed a drive in a cablecard paired S3. The cc's kept on working, so they were tied to the hardware, not the drive. Comcast, Houston.

No guarantees of course, but it's been done. Good luck!

5. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008

Advertisements

I'm also with Comcast Houston. When my TiVo HD drive died and I put in a new drive, the card lost its pairing. The head-end still saw it as paired, but the TiVo did not. On the CC menu, it showed a "waiting for authorization" message.

TiVo apparently keeps a file on hard drive that contains pairing information and is used for decryption. I lost access to a few channels until I paired a CC with the TiVo again.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That is what happened to me in the Comcast Hartford area, some channels came in some did not, confused me because HBO-HD came in and HBO-nonHD did not come in, found about 30 ch that did not come in until I called Comcast and re-paired the cards.