Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dbperkins, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dec 9, 2018 #1 of 18
    dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    I am waiting for a Bolt replacement from Tivo for my dead bolt. Now when I put the cable card in do I get Spectrum to un-pair and then pair it to the new unit? Will this work? hopefully the replacement will work, my son had order a New Bolt from Amazon it died before we even got the cable card for it...Work for whole 10 minutes maybe, then just the fan....cant be over heated...So the question still is about the Cable Card...how to pair it with the new Bolt.

2. Dec 9, 2018 #2 of 18
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some members post that a cable card needs to be unpaired. I have never done that. My cable company never heard of that. There exists a high probability that it will work when you install it. But you will have to call to get it paired. The provisioning may be wrong, so you will need to pair it so that can load the correct VCT and channel list. Plus premium channels require a match to the equipment value.

But I don't have Spectrum, so you will have a different experience.

3. Dec 9, 2018 #3 of 18
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    With Comcast, you need to tell them to unpair the card with the old TiVo otherwise there can be problems so I'd guess the same is true for other cable companies as well.

4. Dec 9, 2018 #4 of 18
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yeah, this is apparently required for Comcast. I’ve never had to do it with Spectrum for the dozen or so cards I’ve paired with them over the years.

5. arewhy

arewhy Member

Dec 29, 2015
    San Diego
    I've never had to have Time Warner/Spectrum San Diego "unpair" the cablecard. They may have done it behind the scenes I've simply told them that I was moving it from one Tivo to a new Tivo. Thus far I've had to have them pair the same cablecard on four separate occasions. Initial pairing with Premiere XL4, Premiere XL4 to Roamio, Roamio to Bolt VOX, and re-paired with same Bolt Vox when I had to replace the hard drive due to upgrade of death.

6. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    Well the renewed Bolt Vox came. I popped the cable card in and plugged all the cables back into the back. Had to go thru a number of updates and guide data downloads. BUT it is running now and I will just wait on calling Spectrum about the cable card. Just need to add some type of cooling to it, laptop cooling pad I guess.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A popular method is to get an AC Infinity 120mm (or so) USB powered fan. Mount it behind the Bolt blowing all that nasty hot air out the front. Don't wait too long.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And save some on your Winter heating bill in the process. ;)

Joe, do you power the fan with the Bolt's USB port, or separately to the wall AC?

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Tell them to unpair it. It may or may not be necessary, but it certainly can’t hurt.
    I got the best result by placing the fan UNDER the raised Bolt- at the vent area in the back, left. Oriented to suck air out of the vent. Temp runs anywhere from 38c to 46c depending on ambient temp. I power it from the spare Bolt USB port.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks--I often wondered if using the USB port could put extra stress on the box and, in fact, raise the temp.

11. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    Thank you for the info, I have ordered AC Infinity 120mm with USB and temporary I am using a small pedestal fan(12" tall) laying on it's side blowing air from behind the box. Temp. drop from 62 down to 42. So the fan does help. I recall the days of Direct Tv and I had H20 box(HD no DVR) and that thing ran so hot you could nearly fried and egg on it. You could not touch the top at all...ran for years with no problems.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Wasn't true for me last year when I had to replace a dead Roamio - popped card into new box, activated it online. No calls.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I use both methods. The advantage/disadvantage for a 12v fan is the fan runs with power removed from the TiVo. In one case my 120mm fan sits on top of an A93 mini and a RE6500 wireless bridge sit on top of the fan. A few fans have filters, so they get dirty and needs cleaning. There are many variations depending on the device and where it's located.

14. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I think the catch is if you get a rep who knows to unpair it without having to tell them to do it as it seems you did. If they don't know to do that, I believe from my recollection all channels will work except the premiums.

15. Keiichi25

Keiichi25 New Member

May 9, 2008
    Well, not exactly.

I do know with Cox, I didn't have to unpair it, but I did still have to call them to get the card paired with the new unit as they have to know about the Host ID they are pairing the card with.

I guess it depends on which cable provider and how they handle the situation and note it in their system.

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Like I said I did it online, no reps, using their tool. Read.

17. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I misread your post, no need to be rude.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    So true. Cable, like politics, is very local.