Cable Card Slot 1 Pin Broke

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by maizerage, Aug 6, 2011.

1. maizerage

maizerage New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I have a pin which appears to be pin 1 that is broke in the primary slot. I have two series 3 hd units and tested the cable card in both slot 2 of the one that has the broken pin and in slot 2 of the functioning series 3. I have heard there are ways to allow slot 2 to be the primary and use a multi card in slot 2 in order to receive both tuners. Is this true and are there any recommendations for resolving the issue with my tivo.

Thanks for reading!

2. maizerage

maizerage New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Any thoughts...Would a picture provide better assistance as I thought about uploading that.

Thanks in advance

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You need two cable cards in the original Series 3 (648), no way around that. If you use only one cable card you can get only one channel even if the one card is a M card. If you can't fix pin 1 (and it is needed to operate the cable card) you are out of luck if you have lifetime service on the unit. You may have other options if you have monthly service. If the bad pin one is in the lower cable card slot I don't think you can just use the upper slot by itself to even get the single channel.
    If you (or someone you know) are really good at repairing the type of mother board used in this TiVo, you could try to find a inexpensive non working Series 3 on E-Bay and replace the cable cards slots from that unit into your unit, not an easy job.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The lummox from the cable company who installed your cable card probably broke the pin. Demand that the cable company pay for a new Tivo.

5. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Is this TiVo a TiVo HD (652) or a TiVo Series 3 original (648)?