Cable card self installs starting Aug 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rileyrd, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1 of 174
    rileyrd

rileyrd Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc
    I saw today that Verizon s already set up self installs of Cable Cards complete with web page setup.

Anyone else heard of plans from other providers? I am especially interested in Time Warner who will probably figure out a way not to provide them. I have an old Tivo HD I am going to install to go along with our Premier.

2. Jul 19, 2011 #2 of 174
    ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    I can almost guarantee that they will still say that a truck roll is mandatory and that there is no other way around it. The only company that probably wouldn't do this is Fios. I'm going to call August 1st to see if they would just mail me a cable card. Like most companies they will see how far they can go before they actually have to do what the law requires them to do. Considering that not to many people use cable cards it could be a while before they do what they are supposed to do

3. Jul 19, 2011 #3 of 174
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Comcast has already implemented self-install packages for a while for most locations I believe, and Cox now has them too. See this post for Cox. TWC seems to be the least TiVo friendly (based on their over-zealous copy protection flags) but they have to comply as well.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #4 of 174
    yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Cablevision has allowed self installs since last fall although it was not widely known at the time by most CSRs.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #5 of 174
    aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Cox Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va Beach) has already started this. I called last Friday to setup an appt. for a "professional install", and they told me I could just swing by one of their "Solution Centers" and pick it all up myself for a self-install. Guess they've been doing this since the beginning of July.

Did that yesterday. Calling the 1-800 number, they weren't able to get it all activated properly (the new TiVo only got channels that weren't on SDV), so they have to do a truck roll. At least that's free now. :)

6. Jul 20, 2011 #6 of 174
    Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    When I got my premiere I called up and ordered a CC and TA. A few days later they both showed up at my doorstep via UPS. I got the TA hooked up so it would be ready to go and just left the CC on the kitchen counter. What was odd was that about 2 hours before the appointment the tech called and asked if I got it installed ok or if I still needed him to come out and do it for me. He seemed really, really confused when I told him I was farily certain that TW required him to do it. He said "ok, I'll be there in 2 hours"
    When he got there, he had to call in to ask someone exactly what to do. I inserted it, I pulled up the CC screen, I gave him the numbers he needed...I might as well have done it. It was pretty straight forward. In fact, it seems like something that could be done over the internet.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #7 of 174
    Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have worked with TW in Columubus and it does seem pretty easy. I have had a premier and HD install. Sometimes TW has bad cable cards, 1 time the cable card had to do a 1 hour update before it worked. For the most part they just have to give the operater a line of numbers to send the hit and it works pretty easily. I may have to upgrade my HD to a premiere once and if TW starts cable card self install.

8. Jul 20, 2011 #8 of 174
    ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    FIOS cable card self installs are a reality and are already available.

9. Jul 20, 2011 #9 of 174
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    They may be required to allow self installs of cable cards, but what about TAs? Does it cover those as well? I can already picture that one. Here, if you want ANYTHING about like channel 73, and ANY of the HD channels, a TA is required. "Yes, you can install the cable card yourself, but we still require a technician to install the TA if you want one."

10. Jul 20, 2011 #10 of 174
    daxem

daxem New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    NC
    The FCC has mandated that this has to happen by 11/1/11. Some companies have been rolling out early but it may not be a reality for everyone until November.

11. Jul 20, 2011 #11 of 174
    robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    ...self installs have been going on or a while, and I just upgraded my two SEries 2s to Premiere. Cable card self install went extremely well. Both times I was up and running with the Cablecard in under 30 minutes. Couldn't be happier with the Tivos running with Cablecard since Cablevision's boxes are pretty atrocious.

--*Rob

12. Jul 20, 2011 #12 of 174
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  13. Jul 20, 2011 #13 of 174
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's the general deadline. The Aug 1 deadline is for those companies that offer self-install packages for their own set top boxes, which all the large cable companies do. So for all practical purposes Aug 1 is the real key date for most people.

14. Jul 22, 2011 #14 of 174
    rileyrd

rileyrd Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc
    Just for fun I called TW yesterday to ask for a cable card install. Of course they said a truck roll would be required, so I asked about the self installs starting by Aug 1. They, of course, had never heard of it, but did ask technical services. He also googled it and saw that info on the law. Asked why all their major and many minor competition have it already, he said that since its law and TW does allow self intalls of other products then they will probably allow it after Aug 1.

More Par for the course for TW!!

15. Jul 24, 2011 #15 of 174
    Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I just replaced my S3 with a Premier (HDD Died - waiting for new drive to arrive) and when I called Verizon (FiOS) they asked if I wanted a truck rolled or a CC sent to me. I chose the self install. Arrived on Friday. Popped in the card TiVo popped up with all the needed info I went to the Verizon page in their instructions, entered the info and within 10 minutes everything was completely activated. Within 5 minutes all the base channels were already tuning in. VERY easy and straight forward and much better than having to deal with an installer coming out at SOME point during the day.

16. Jul 24, 2011 #16 of 174
    aristoBrat

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    This was a nice little surprise on my Cox bill:

For the privilege of having spend 45 minutes in one of their "Solution Centers" as they tried to figure out how to "balance" the new CC/TA that I was asking for, spending another 30 minutes on the phone troubleshooting after the self-install resulted with no premium channels, and then having to wait for them to roll a truck two days later, just to find out that the "Solution Center" forgot to give me separate instructions for calling and activating the CC (they said the instructions for calling and activating the TA would also activate the CC -- why the telephone support guy didn't catch this, I don't know), I was awesome to sell a $30.22 "one-time fee" added to my bill for "self-install".

Attached Files:

17. Jul 24, 2011 #17 of 174
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Suggest you file a quick complaint with the FCC about this $30.22 charge. My guess is once Cox receives the nasty letter from the FCC they will credit your account. After August 1st, this charge will not be allowed per the FCC regs unless they charge a similar $30.22 for self-install of a Cox set-top box.

Use the online form here --> http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=d1e664&id=d1e752. It takes less than 5 minutes to file the complaint.

18. Jul 24, 2011 #18 of 174
    aristoBrat

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Ah, now that you mention it, they did charge me similarly for a "self-install" I did one their DVRs (for a roommate) a few month ago. They hand you the DVR/cable box + the power cable, then give you the $30 shrink-wrapped "self-install kit", which consists of the remote control and two short coax cables. I tried to decline the kit, but they said they was no other way to get the remote. :eek:

I'm sure I can get the $30 charge dropped easily for how not-smoothly the process was, I was just surprised there was a charge for it at all. But based on what you said, I guess that's going to be normal procedure.

19. Jul 24, 2011 #19 of 174
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Wow. Do they think people are actually going to choose the truck roll? :eek:

20. Jul 24, 2011 #20 of 174
    danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Because most people aren't like you. They actually would rather have someone else do it, because they have no idea of what is involved or how to do it.