Cable card - Optimum - Not Authorized

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wjl11x, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Aug 8, 2019 #1 of 21
    wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Hello,

Using Optimum service.
    I have had a cable card hooked up to my Premiere for years.
    No problems.

For the past week, I can watch any show but I can't record anything.
    It looks/acts like its recording but when the show is over there is no recording.
    I checked the History and it claims 'not authorized'.

Could the cable card suddenly lose its authorization to record?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

2. Aug 8, 2019 #2 of 21
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look in your Cable Card settings menu.

3. Aug 8, 2019 #3 of 21
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Make a small recording and watch the recording in progress. Is it a Motorola or Cisco/SA card?
    Motorola Status display:
    ccStatus.JPG

4. Aug 8, 2019 #4 of 21
    Elahd Bar-Shai

Elahd Bar-Shai New Member

Aug 8, 2019
    I just spent two weeks dealing with this. Optimum changed their equipment requirements a couple of weeks ago and didn't officially notify any of their employees. You'll need to get a tuning adapter from Optimum to use with your cable card, and you'll need to do it in person. The tuning adapter is free -- it's covered by the ~$3/mo you pay for your cable card.

Do this:
    1. Go to an Optimum Store with your cable card.
    2. Tell the rep that you have a TiVO that recently stopped working and that a phone rep told you to get a tuning adapter at an Optimum store. (That's a lie, but it should help avoid any push-back.)
    3. Ensure that the rep adds both the tuning adapter and cable card to your account as a set. (The rep who helped me knew what a tuning adapter was but had no idea how to add one to my account. I was at an Optimum store in Yonkers. She had to call an Optimum store in the Bronx to get instructions.)
    4. Ensure that you leave the Optimum store with your cable card, the tuning adapter, its power adapter, a short length of coax cable, and an instruction sheet for setting up the tuning adapter.
    5. Go home. Connect the tuning adapter to your TiVO. Wait 15 minutes for the box to register. (The instruction sheet details the setup steps.)
    6. Call Optimum to activate the tuning adapter. (The phone rep will have no idea what you're talking about. I had to ask the rep I was connected with to read the on-screen instructions to me so I could tell her what to do. Basically, the rep needs to add both the tuning adapter and cable card to your account as a pair and send a full reset / activation command to the card.)
    Good luck!

JoeKustra likes this.
  5. Aug 8, 2019 #5 of 21
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I hope this isn't true across their whole footprint. If so I will be switching back to FiOS. Not dealing with 2 or 3 tuning adapters.

I am in Dutchess County NY.

6. Aug 8, 2019 #6 of 21
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I would try restarting the Tivo if you haven't already.

7. Aug 8, 2019 #7 of 21
    wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Its a Scientific Atlanta card.

8. Aug 8, 2019 #8 of 21
    wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I have another Premiere and a Bolt as well. Neither have tuning adapters.

9. Aug 9, 2019 #9 of 21
    Elahd Bar-Shai

Elahd Bar-Shai New Member

Aug 8, 2019
    FWIW, I'm on the Bronx network with a TiVO Bolt. I got lucky and found an Optimum store rep who got wind of the changeover and knew to give me a tuning adapter, but she didn't seem to have been officially/fully informed. Her observation was that the change was being rolled out gradually -- every so often clusters of customers come in to the store with complaints that their TiVOs stopped working. It's really ridiculous.

10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The strange thing is that usually when a Tuning Adapter is needed, you cannot view the channel. The OP is reporting that they can still view the channel but cannot record it. That kind of thing is usually controlled by a setting on the specific channel.

11. wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    The issue was resolved with a phone call to Optimum.
    They re-bound the card and all is fine now.
    Hopefully it stays that way.
    No tuning adapters. Thankfully.

12. wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I spoke too soon.
    The re-bound card on the Premiere and a new card on the Bolt both have the 'Not Authorized' problem, hours after they were working fine.

Now what?

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It's about time for assistance. Submit a request – FCC Complaints

14. Paul Coco

Paul Coco Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Spent a month and a half trying to resolve this problem. On May 29 in the Bronx and June 11 in Brooklyn Optimum changed frequencies on some channels. The ones I discovered were 8 premium movie channels, primarily Cinemax channels. Just a black screen for them. No notices were sent to customers nor, it seems, were their technical support people. I got different stories from everyone I talked to at Optimum. The change allows Optimum to use less bandwidth for each of these channels. I was told by several people that my only option was to get an Optimum DVR instead of the TiVos I was using. I finally spoke with a field supervisor who told me that the people I had spoken with had no idea what was going on and that the problem was the change in frequencies that I described above. To resolve the issue hew told me to go to the nearest Optimum store and get two tuning adapters for my TiVo machines.

Off to the Optimum store and, after waiting on line for 20 minutes had some arrogant young man tell me they had no tuning adapters and, even if they did, that would not solve my problem and my only solution was to replace the TiVos with Optimum DVRs. Won't bore you with the whole long story of the back and forth that continued for weeks.

I finally wrote to a vice president at Corporate Headquarters bypassing the usual channels and my letter was eventually forwarded to Corporate Customer Support. They confirmed the tuning adapters would resolve my problems. Had to go back to the Optimum store which by now had actually received the tuning adapters and I got two of them (no charge). Installation is easy and it resolved the issue.

If you are not subscribing to any of the premium movie channels, more specifically Cinemax and one one of the Starz channels (Starz Comedy) you will not see any changes now. However I was told that Optimum would be adding more channels with this SDV technology in the future.

See here - Tivo Customer Support Community

15. wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I think you're right.
    Called Optimum this morning to see if they could resolve the issue.

After going through the typical, re-start, etc. - the problem remained.
    I suggested to the tech that they send someone out.
    She refused, saying its a Tivo problem and they dont support Tivo.

Unbelievable! They refused to send out a tech, even if I paid for it.

I think Optimum is doing their best to get rid of Tivo.

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Here is the thing, cable cards and tuning adapters are relatively rare items for all providers and get virtually no support, partly to do with their rarity, but also because they tend to loose quite a bit in monthly box rental fees. Because the average CSR or tech has little to no training they tend to fail when trying to do anything cable card related, their supervisors who also graduated from the same HS and received the same OJT as the line folks, tell them some bs and can get away with passing off their ignorance in a number of ways. The result is they will tell you anything to get rid of you and be relatively hostile in the process.
    When you bypass these folks and file the FCC complaint, it goes to someone higher up in the food chain, who has to respond to these things. They know from experience that there are very few folks in their organization who understand the in's and out's of cable cards and TA's but they know who they are and how to reach them.
    Your best chance of success is to file the FCC complaint, you don't need to write a book or be a lawyer, you should not need more than about 10 minutes to complete the process.

17. malba2366

malba2366 Member

Aug 18, 2014

I read somewhere else that they are having problems binding cablecards at the moment. I would try calling again to see if they are able to do it. You probably have to get to someone in technical support and not the first person that answers the phone. This wouldn't need a technician visit, if the modem is working and there is good signal strength there is nothing to fix on site. The problem with optimum is getting the representative to transfer you to the right level 2 technical support representative rather than than trying to go by their script. If they are unable to do this then file an FCC complaint which will get the attention of someone (on Long Island rather than overseas) who may be a better able to get you to the right person.

18. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  19. wjl11x

wjl11x New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I tried to get next level support.
    They will not even acknowledge there is such a thing.
    It is a stark contrast from the response I have received in the past.
    They have no interest in helping.
    I will certainly contact the FCC but if that's the only way to get help it does not bode well for Tivo's future.
    Optimum is at war with cable cards. No doubt.

20. malba2366

malba2366 Member

Aug 18, 2014

I have heard that the issue is resolved and that they should be able to bind the cable cards now. Try calling again...