Cable Card Install Tomorrow - Any Advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hookbill, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 23
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

I know it's all over the threads in this area. I thought a nice consolidated list might be helpful. Besides, I'm lazy and a bit forgetful. :) Install will be by TW, currently using SA 8300 with SARA software.

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 23
    ctakim

ctakim ctakim

May 7, 2006
    I would recommend sacrificing a small to medium sized animal and to burn incense. :D

Seriously, good luck. I'm 2 weeks into ownership and still without premium channels. Another installation visit is due today. :mad:

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 23
    skweaz

skweaz Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The newer the CableCARDs the better. Good luck!

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 23
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Don't assume that just because the test channels come in that the thing is working correctly. If possible, don't let the installer leave until you can tune something in the 100+ range with each of the tuners (use the Live TV button to switch tuners). And make sure that whatever you're getting in the 100+ range is encrypted -- some stuff, like the HD broadcasts of your local stations won't be.

A couple of people have also reported that the cards are better able to receive the authorization from the head end if you remove all splitters and filters between the wall and the S3. You can also have the cable guy check the signal strength while he is there. If it's only marginal, you may have problems since the signal is split inside the TiVo.

Good luck.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 23
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

:eek: :eek: :eek: See tag at bottom. :)

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 23
    albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Make sure the installer follows ALL the instructions TO THE LETTER ...

Ensure that the cablecards are done one at a time ...

Do NOT install the 2nd card until the 1st is working ...

@

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 23
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
  8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 23
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

and that requires a bunch of patience. Once the first card is set up it will "acquire channels" for a while. In my case it was about 6 minutes. Some others report it took them 20 minutes. If the guy gets impatient and tries to do the second card while that is going on it seems that second card will not get properly activated and will need to be redone.

Also- test all the channels above 100 that are important to you. And at least one in each package/tier. For example if you have the HBO pack and showtime and cinemax try at least on of each to be sure all 3 sets are turned on. And if it's important check it- for example for some reason my company seems to do each Local HD channel by itself so just having one on is not an indication of them all being on (at first I got all locals except CW and they had to send that signal again, my fried got all but his CBS HD at first....)- so if you can get the guy to wait it would be best to check every channel that's important to you on each card.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 23
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Good suggestions everyone. Bottom line is to follow directions. Something I'm not good at myself.

I printed out the link you posted SCSIRAID, and what I think I'll do is say something like "here's a documention of install problems, but you don't need the read the whole thing just read this highlihted part" which simply says no shortcuts follow directions. :)

Along with his instruction sheet. I've already disconnected my splitter and have it going into TiVo.

I'm ready. Hope he shows. :D

10. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    You can also hand the installer instruction sheet to them, which has essentially the same steps (install, activate and test the cards one at a time while the power is on). I'm getting mine installed this weekend, and intend to fully supervise the process to make sure that's done correctly. That will likely be necessary, too, considering how many (none) of the CSRs I talked to even knew that there's a TiVo unit that supports them.

11. ingenue007

ingenue007 UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Aug 22, 2005
    pray. just pray it will work.

12. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    One addition, besides the obvious but often forgotten "follow the instructions exactly"-- write down all serials and hostids from the cablecards on a piece of paper before you even start.

My install is thursday (scheduled 10 frickin days ago)... can't wait.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

be carefull of that- if the installer has all the numbers for the second card already written down, it allows him to not wait for the first card to finish before trying to "hit" the second card.

And be prepared that the installer wont give a crap what the tivo instructions say. I handed it to the guy and he "read" it for all of 2.5 seconds so be prepared to hawk the guy and prompt him to follow the instructions (namely wait for the first card to be done, acquire channels, and do the channel check on it before you move to the second card)

14. besposito

besposito New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    My suggestion would be to NOT let the tech touch anything on your TiVo. Let the tech call it in and hand you the cards. You follow the steps carefully and let him make the phone call and repeat the info to the provisioning people. Most techs won't have any idea what to do with the TiVo anyways and probably wont mind letting you "drive"...just tell them how expensive it is and if they make one mistake you will hold them responsible. :)

15. wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    My installer wouldn't listen when I said they should be done 1 at a time. He did wait for the info screen to pop up for the first card, but after writing those numbers down he immediately popped in card #2 before calling in any of the numbers. He said it would go faster if he had all the numbers at once. It still seemed to work and both cards are receiving all of my pay channels and stuff (HBOHD, etc...) I received the 161-4 error twice (once after he read off each set of numbers), and then I went through the channel checks for both cards after he was done. I couldn't find anything missing, and I subscribe to almost every channel they offer (platinum package).

16. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Did you ask him if he installed S3 before?

17. wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    He said this was his first S3 Tivo install. He was amazed at how easy it all went. He said installing cable cards into Aquos TVs is the worst...

He also said that he is terrible at following instructions (which is probably why he mostly ignored the Tivo sheet).

18. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. "Hi, you got the cards? Can I see them? Alright just write this number down and phone it in when I tell you."

I don't know how that would go over, though that would be my preferable way to do it. :)

19. samual.icky

samual.icky New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    When the cable company calls to "remind you" that they may or many stop by in a 2-4 hour time frame you also remind them the tech will need two cable cards for the install. The cable tech just finished installing my second card over a two week period.

20. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    Talk to the installer about their experience of installing the Cablecards, and find out who the best CSR is before the installer leaves. If I had it to do over again (sound of fingers crossing that I never have to go through it again), I would have been proactive about finding out experience levels before the installer left.

In addition, don't accept anything less than supervisor level if you have to call in inoperable cards. Mention "now I understand why so many people are switching to Direct TV. I guess that's my next move" to any CRS's you deal with that cannot help, or hesitate to get their supervisor involved. The nice thing is that when the cards do finally work, it will all have been worth it! :up: