Cable card Error code 161-1

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Teknoboy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Teknoboy

Teknoboy New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Hi,

Been working for hours with the cable guy from cablevision to get my cable cards installed on my Series3. Slot one keeps giving error code 161-1, saying to call the cable company. Cable company doesn't know what error code 161-1 is. Slot two will configure normally. Swapped several cards and still no good. Do you think slot one is just defective?

thanks!

Mike

2. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    this is a proble with the cable card reader... at least on sony tvs this code means the reader is bad I would think all cable card devices have the same set of coding

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Does it mean the reader is bad, or that the card can not be read?

4. skweaz

skweaz Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I was getting this error on one of my cards (dated 2004). They swapped it out with a newer card (2005) and it's working normally now.

5. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    from what i have seen it is the reader 99% of the time

6. Teknoboy

Teknoboy New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    "from what i have seen it is the reader 99% of the time"

By 'reader' are you referring to the slot on the Tivo?

Thanks!

Mike

7. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    I got 161-1 all the time on one card, which the tech swapped out and it went away. See if the tech has a new (unused) card he can try.

8. erubenst28

erubenst28 New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    hoboken, NJ
    With all due respect to the previous poster... i had the same issue and it was not the reader, it was the card. we tried a new card and it worked fine... id try a few cards in that slot before you return the unit

9. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I had a 161-1 and it was a bad cablecard. Using a different card fixed it. I googled it and found a reference that said it was a problem communicating with the cablecard.

10. Teknoboy

Teknoboy New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    The cable guy tried at least 2 cards...both cards were recognized OK in slot 2 but not in slot 1.

They are coming back Wednesday to try again. I re-booted the Tivo when they were here but didn't do an actual reset, which I will try when they get here.

Something else that may have affected the installation is that the installer tried to configure Slot 2 FIRST. I let him know that Slot 1 should be configured first so he stopped and went to Slot 1. (trying at least 2 cards)

Mike

11. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    BUMP- i am getting this error. has anyone else gotten it. Has anyone had to return their TIVO becuase of this?

12. mcukier

mcukier New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I had the exact same experience; I got this error, and the cableguy swapped out a new card and it started working beautifully!

mc

13. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    I'm in cablecard hell right now. My first card came back with the 161-1 error. However, after reseating it and hitting it again, it seems to be working fine. The second card doesn't work at all. The installer only showed up with two cards so that was all that could be done yesterday. Today he's coming back with more cards so hopefully I'll get my both my cards working.

The card in slot 1 that came back with the 161-1 error isn't giving me any trouble. When running through the channels from the test screen, they're all there. I don't know if I should insist he change it or just leave it since it seems to be working right. They were having trouble setting up the card on their end so maybe it was a setup issue and not a hardware fault.

Aaahrg, cablecards.

14. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    I'm out of cablecard hell now. The tech supervisor showed up, popped in another card, and had it working in all of a half hour. I'm good now. BTW, that error I was getting is 161-4 not 161-1. It did appear again after the 2nd card received its hit from the office. The supervisor wasn't too concerned about it. All the channels are working so as long as that error doesn't come back, I'm not going to get too concerned about it either.

15. meldrich

meldrich New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm in that cablecard hell now too. And it will make the difference between whether or not I abandon ComCast or TiVo, or both. I will tell you the result whatever it is. I promise. I don't have time to bother with this much longer. I will use Hulu.com and a digital antenna if I have to.

16. meldrich

meldrich New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    ComCast blamed the TiVo (which has always been fine) TiVo blamed ComCast's old card. Comcast attempted to send a message to the card 3 times. TiVo said they had to DE-activate it and then activate it again. They did that. It did not respond. Well, after several calls failed to start it, I just did the first time setup again without the card. Before I went to bed, I turned off the tv and shoved the cards once again into the slot and went to bed. Either the machine or the cable company got it working sometime between midnight and 8 am. The problem is solved anyway.

17. Brent Becker

Brent Becker New Member

Apr 17, 2020

18. Brent Becker

Brent Becker New Member

Apr 17, 2020
    I figued out a solution. Go get a box from the cable provider and take the card out of the box and put it in you tivo. Call card services and activate the card in the tivo. They will ask for the host I.d.. Your done. Take the cable box back with the tivo card and exchange for a new box or credit. Eitherway you are good.

19. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    For what it's worth, last year I had to jump through hoops with Comcast to get a working card for a new Bolt; first one I got wouldn't activate, visited the retail location to get two new (actually refurbished) ones to try, both failed. They kept blaming the TiVo. At that point, as a test, I pulled a working one out of a working TiVo to try in the Bolt, which of course worked. So back to the store for another two, one of which worked (finally).

The moral of the story is: lots of cablecards in the wild are in terrible shape (assuming most of them are refurbs), so it may take many tries to get a good one. Having a known good one in your household will help troubleshoot, otherwise it will take more effort than should be required to get one for a new device.