Cable card behavior - WTF?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by adamwsh, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 13
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I have a TivoHD with 2 cable cards for Verizon Fios.

Last night I pulled the #1 card and put it in my TV, after reading somewhere on here that the card activations are not device specific, and put it in my TV. My TV showed me a message saying I had to call my provide to activate the card. Now I'm paranoid that when I put it back in my Tivo it wouldn't work! I put it back in my Tivo and Tivo showed me a similar message. So I'm freaking out thinking now I'll have to call them and schedule a truck roll. I hit the Tivo button, then Live TV. I saw a picture, so I switched tuners. I saw a picture there too. It was fine the rest of the night. I never called them.

Can anyone explain what was going on here? I guess I just don't understand the whole "pairing" thing.

Thanks!

2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 13
    Grumock

Grumock New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Nowhere...
    With some providers they have the host ID on your account paired with the cable card ID. So if the new host (TV) is not listed in the billing system then it will not be able to use the card since it's basically a foriegn host to the system.

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 13
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Ok, that makes sense. But how come when I first put it back in and turned on the Tivo it gave me that message but then went away on it's own?

Thanks.

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 13
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Something similar happened to me as well. I pulled a card temporarily out of one TiVo to for testing in another (the CC in that TiVo apparently went bad). When I put it back, it in the original TiVo, the pairing was broken. Comcast support couldn't figure out how to repair the pairing, so I ended up getting a new CC. If CCs didn't suck so much, they'd blow.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 13
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Where's the "Like" button!? :up:

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 13
    andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Maybe the other card is a M card? (just a WAG) and the second card isn't really needed?

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 13
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I just called Verizon and asked if they have MCards now. (Haven't asked them in 2 years or more). They said they do. Not only that, they will ship the card to me and let me do the swap myself. That's also new. I placed my order.
    Here's to saving $3.99/month!

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 13
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Haven't had to play with them yet, but the impression I get is that they do both, quite mightily.

9. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    As you can see, on 6/8 I called Verizon who said they would ship me an M-Card to install myself. Well, it hasn't shown up yet, so I called them today. They said "the person you spoke to was wrong. They have to be installed by a technician." So she set me up for an install. She told me she would "waive the $79.95 install fee." I should hope so! Otherwise, I'm not bothering with the swap.

So, then I called back to change the date of install, and she didn't even see the order I just placed, claiming sometimes it takes awhile to get into the system? What?! Why? So, she had to submit ANOTHER order. She said worst case scenario is that the guy would show up on the original date and have no one there to let him in, but then they would come back on the rescheduled date.

Sounds really stupid, annoying and disorganized to me!

Why can't their people get it straight!?!? Either they DO let you install cards yourself or they DON'T! Why does it seem to depend on who you talk to?!! :mad:

10. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Its ashame we have so much trouble with these cable cards. In all reality, I think the cable cards are a very reliable piece of hardware but the steps it takes to have these integrated into our homes makes them more aggravating then they are worth. First off, its too dependent on reliable data entry at the head end. Secondly, the inconvenience factor of a truck roll to have these things activated is just ridiculous

11. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
  12. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Page 46 states that the requirement to allow self-install of cable cards does not kick in until:
    August 1 2011 for companies which allow self-install of cable boxes or modems, OR
    November 1 2011 for companies which do not allow self-install of cable boxes or modems.

If I read this correctly, the FCC is slapping the cable cos in the face for making cablecards difficult to obtain, install, and function properly, as well as different pricing.

13. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Nice!!

Now, if I could buy a cable card retail and not have to "lease" one, I'd be even happier!