cable bill too high

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sportyone, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 #1 of 12
    sportyone

sportyone New Member

Feb 4, 2011

Advertisements

I want to know something I am paying almost 90 dollars for the io silver

package from cablevision. If I was to get the tivo box can I take off the

silver package and downgrade to only basic cable service to which it will only

cost me about 20 dollars but I will only be getting 1 to 22 channels. so all

the other channels will be lost. my question is this will the tivo box be able

to pick up the other channels for me. please help ! trying to save money ! :)

2. Feb 4, 2011 #2 of 12
    patnmike427

patnmike427 New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nope-not gonna happen.

What you should do is call Cablevision-tell them you want the latest "offer" they have out there...you DO have alternatives!

3. Feb 4, 2011 #3 of 12
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You could possibly add an antenna to get channels not offered by your cable company. Most channels would be duplicated, but uncompressed (I'm thinking HD channels here). YMMV.

4. Feb 4, 2011 #4 of 12
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I don't think I'd be buying a DVR like Tivo if I were trying to save money because you're gonna have to pay for the unit and subscription unless you can get those on the cheap. Tivo does not provide programming. The only way you're going to be able to come close is if you have Netflix and when/if Hulu is implemented and if you figure out how to download programming (legally, of course) and x-fer it to your Tivo. Of course then you'll need a decent network infrastructure and reliable high speed internet provider which costs more money.

5. Feb 4, 2011 #5 of 12
    headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...

Advertisements

Actually cablevision has gone all digital, so the premier wont work with lifeline cable unless you also rent a cablecard.

I can get more stations via my OTA antenna than I get with the lowest tier of Cablevision. Glen Cove, NY.

-roll

6. Feb 4, 2011 #6 of 12
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    TiVo costs money to operate. It's not a one time purchase. You'd have to keep paying for the TiVo service, either monthly or yearly, something along those lines.

Also, TiVo is basically a TV recorder, not a programming source. The newer TiVos can give you some access to downloadable material, thru Amazon or (I think) Netflix, but you'd pay for those too.

Getting a TiVo is NOT a free substitute for a standard cable package.

7. Feb 4, 2011 #7 of 12
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ...or lifetime (of the recorder).. You know this, the questioner may not.

So for those purposes, it CAN be a one-time purchase.

(IMHO, as much of a Tivo fan as I am, I would likely not buy it if I had to pay monthly.. unless it was like an order of magnitude less costly per month than it is now. I'd much rather pay A LOT one time... which is what they suckered me into doing when I got my S3!)

8. Feb 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    You're asking if the TiVo will allow you to steal CableVision's service? Seriously?

If you want to save money, don't pay CableVision for the rest of the channels. There is life beyond TV. Decide if those other channels are really worth $840 pear year. Assuming you're 30 years old and will have that package for 50 years, that is $42,000 for those extra channels at today's prices. Are those channels REALLY worth the price of 2 brand new cars?

I have basic cable from Comcast and a Netflix subscription. That's enough TV for us.

9. Feb 5, 2011 #9 of 12
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You're absolutely right. I must have had a brain cramp when posting above, because not long ago I made the very point you did to someone here on these forums.

Sorry guys.

10. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I'm thinking the OP has heard about QAM and was wanting to know if he could pick up additional unencrypted channels with only the lifeline package. I don't believe he was asking if he could steal cable.

11. klrobinson999

klrobinson999 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    that's what I got too.

If you're in a major city, you can get several channels over clearQAM, but that's mostly just going to be repeats of what the cable company offers with their standard basics.

12. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    been on limited basic for a few weeks now. $13 and plenty to watch when you factor in a tivo and pytivo (as a go to if needed).