c33 trying to connect Mini using Moca; 2nd Mini works fine

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rwaxman, Jul 25, 2018.

1. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018

Advertisements

I have created a Moca network using a Roamio Pro, and one of two Minis I bought 2nd-hand (both 93000 models) is connected to the network and working fine. The 2nd Mini, however, persistently gets a C33 error when I try to connect it using Moca with the same parameters (Auto, no encryption) as the Roamio and the working Mini. I swapped the location of the two Minis, but in either room, the good one works and the other doesn't. I spent over an hour on the phone with Tivo support trying various things, but could only get the 2nd Mini to connect using ethernet. They finally concluded that Moca was broken on the Mini I was having trouble with, and that I would either have to use it with ethernet (which would be a major pain in my case), or return it to the seller.

I realize tech support doesn't always get it right, so I'm wondering if there is anything else I could try besides the usually rebooting, forcing new connections to Tivo service, etc. I don't see how it could be a network issue, since swapping the Mini out for a known good one configured the same way always works.

Thanks

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There are a number of things that are problematic with MoCA, but your troubleshooting seems to have eliminated most of them. I would just return the troublsome mini but if that is not an option, you could try using a separate MoCA adapter and connect it's Ethernet port to the problem mini. Or at least try to temporarily locate it where you can connect it via Ethernet....if it won't work that way, you just have a bad mini.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @rwaxman, when you say that the “bad” Mini doesn’t work from either location, does it never work or only when both Minis are online? (i.e. Does the performance improve if the other “good” Mini is powered off?)

Since this “bad” Mini sounds to be a new addition to your setup, getting it networked would be critical to ensuring that its software is updated to the same version as your existing boxes. Temporarily moving the Mini to where it can be connected via Ethernet is one way to do so, moving the Mini back to its permanent location after the software is fully updated.

A simple test of the Mini’s MoCA functionality can be conducted by direct-connecting the Mini via a short coax cable to the Roamio Pro’s coax port (temporarily snuffing live TV tuning/recording and MoCA connectivity for the other Mini while the DVR is disconnected from its coax wall outlet). You should be able to establish a MoCA connection when direct-connected and have full Mini functionality (minus live TV); and you’d also want to check/document the Mini’s MoCA stats via the Network Status dialog. If you similarly direct-connect the “good” Mini to the DVR, you can compare the boxes’ MoCA stats to see if the “bad” Mini’s stats indicate difficulty in maintaining even this simple connection.

As @fcfc2 stated, troubleshooting by swapping the boxes would seem to indicate the coax plant isn’t the problem, but it may be worthwhile to review the components and how your coax runs interconnect. (Maybe the coax plant is borderline and the “bad” Mini is just sufficiently more sensitive.) Do you know if you have a “PoE” MoCA filter properly installed? Do you know how your coax runs interconnect and through what components?

Whatever the case, debug as quickly as possible inside the return window. It’s not impossible that the Mini was being sold because of a MoCA issue.

4. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    It never works, regardless of whether the good one is connected or not. Also, the software was updated when we had it connected via ethernet during the debugging process.

Regarding the direct connection test you suggested, after I disconnect the coax from the Roamio, and connect the Mini to the Roamio with a short coax cable, how do I see if it works? Do I need to unplug the HDMI cable from the Roamio and plug it into the Mini, and see if I can connect and watch recorded shows via the Mini?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Yes, you'd need a video connection for the Mini, either borrowing the Roamio's or using an additional HDMI cable to a second HDMI port on the TV. Once you can access the Mini UI, you'd make sure to configure the Mini as a MoCA client, then see what connectivity you have. The Mini should have full functionality minus live TV ... and be sure to not leave the test connections in place if you have critical recordings coming-up on the To Do List.

6. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Ok, I tried the direct connection and still got C33, so I started the return process on ebay.

I'm thinking maybe I should get a new Mini, since you typically only save about $70 buying the old model on ebay. Are there any issues I should be aware of when using a Mini Vox on the same network with a Roamio Pro and a Mini 93000? I assume I would have to downgrade the software on the Mini Vox to 20.x, but I don't mind that.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you also try the direct-connect with the “good” Mini?

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Mini software will upgrade/downgrade automatically to match the host DVR’s software version.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Is this Mini on your Tivo.com account? Does it have matching Media Access Key as the Roamio?

10. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    No, I didn't. What would that tell me since I know it works from other places?

11. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Yes, the Mini is on my Tivo account. I don't remember checking the Media Access Key. Is that something that could be wrong and the Mini would still work when connected by ethernet, as mine does?

There is something weird about what's shown under "Device Preferences" when I look at my Tivo account online. In addition to the Roamio Pro and two Minis, there is a 4th device named "Tivo Devo", described as "TiVo Series 2 rev.3 DVR 40hr TCD2404A" with a TSN I've never seen that was activated 5/9/2004. I have no idea what this device is or why it is showing up here. I mentioned it to the CSR on the phone yesterday, but she said "don't worry about that for now" and never came back to it. It has the "Video Sharing" and "Enable Video Downloads" boxes checked.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As a direct comparison to the non-functioning Mini, for confirmation. (Proving you were correctly executing the direct-connect test and, therefore, the “bad” Mini is bad — but with a much greater certainty. Good backup to have if any resistance is encountered during the return.)

13. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Ah, I see.