Bypass DRM on my Tivo Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by premiereman, Aug 18, 2011.

1. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Hey guys,

I am a new Tivo user and I really like some of the features they have to offer. I recently plunked down a hefty amount on lifetime service for 2 units and am so dissapointed that almost every show I want to transfer to view in another room is copyright protected (I have TW cable). Anything in HD seems to be blocked defeating the purpose of MRV. Is there any solution to this? Although the TiVo interface is bar none, I am trying to justify keeping them as opposed to going with TW's new whole house DVR service.

What do you guys think?

2. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Welcome to the anti-customer policies of Time Warner. I also suffer with their decision to alienate customers who don't blindly pay them lots of money.

The copy protection should only apply to the national cable networks - not your local channels.

To work around this, I record all my cable network shows on our living room Tivo, where we do most of our watching. I record all the local network shows on our bedroom Tivo, where we really don't watch much TV anyway. When I want to watch a show from a local network, I can then transfer it to our living room without problem. The few shows we do watch in the bedroom are on local networks anyway, so it's not that often that the copy protection becomes an issue anymore. If there is a show that I might not be sure where I want to watch it, I'll set it to record in both rooms, then delete from both once I'm done watching the show.

It's policies like this from Time Warner that strengthen my resolve NOT to give them more money by renting their sub-par DVR solution. Why should I pay them more money for making my life difficult in the first place? That would be rewarding them for their bad behavior, and I refuse to do it.

Of course, if FIOS was an option here, I'd kick Time Warner to the curb in a heartbeat. Unfortunatley, Time Warner is the provider around here who provides the best quality HD picture, so they are who I pay (as little as possible).

Jeff

3. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Are both your units HD? If you happened to get an old Series 2 w/ lifetime, it won't be able to transfer the HD shows from your HD model. I'm assuming this is not your situation, but I did want to point it out just in case.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    That sounds like the common cable company extortion tactic of trying to make your life difficult until you agree to pay them more money. If they're copy-protecting local content (HD or otherwise) you could probably complain to the FCC. And (according to posts here) TiVo may be working on Premiere-to-Premiere streaming, which would avoid the no-copy problem. Don't hold your breath waiting for that, of course.

5. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Both of my units are Premiere units. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds in this case. You either succumb to the sloppy interface of the cable company's DVR (including much higher fees, $28.99 just for the whole house service) but have true whole house capability, or keep my fancy Tivo units with a much sleeker interface but no true MRV as the copyright protection cripples this feature. I guess my best option is to wait it out a few years so I can at least break even on my units (I did have to shell out quite the dime on lifetime service) and also hope for premiere-to-premiere streaming.

Recording the shows on both Tivo units (living room and bedroom) sounds like the best solution at the moment. How do some of you other guys feel about the copyright protection. Any other advice?

6. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    It's not ideal, but if you pull the cable card out and only record analog, everything can be transferred.

The streaming worked great for the short time it was around. Hopefully it will be released by the end of the year.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you look around, you will find MANY threads that are all PO'd at TW.

Streaming seems to be nearly ready for a future update, so hopefully for everyone this will be a non-issue (other than streaming does not allow for anyone to move content to their PC).

8. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    But who is to say that the same limitations will not be imposed on streaming functionality? TiVo could implement the feature but restrict streaming capability on those shows that are copyright protected.

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    TiVo probably could restrict streaming capability, but why would they want to? They're required to restrict copying capability by the Digital Rights Management legislation that is making the U.S. a technological backwater. TiVo may be slow these days, but at least they should be on our side of the DRM issue.

10. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I agree, they probably will not restrict it initially. However, it looks like it will pan out to a cat and mouse game between Tivo and "DRM legislation" don't you think? After doing research, it looks like there a few devices on the market that will capture the video feed regardless if it's protected. But that would require one to hook up an external device to the TiVo and then have to convert the outputted file after the transfer to be able to view it. That just makes for more devices, more time wasted, and more headaches. I chose TiVo for simplicity, sigh...

I guess it's out of their control since the cable companies dictate matters on this issue. :/

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    No, many cable providers *stream* - Verizon, DirecTV, AT&T, and even Time Warner offer "whole home DVR" solutions. This has been permissible and I don't see it changing any time soon. TiVo currently *copies* which scares folks - the idea that the content could be offloaded and inappropriately shared. Hopefully TiVo streaming is turned on soon...

12. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    We know that TiVo is working on streaming functionality for the Premiers - it was inadvertently added to production and then quickly removed...

No promises have been made - but hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel for the TWC customers.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, I believe there are workarounds for *future* recordings if you want to actually hack the hardware.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Not for Premiere units.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I do not believe that the Premier has been hacked and even if it has been, it cannot be discussed on this forum.

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    And they should be equally PO'd at Tivo - it's inexcusable that streaming wasn't included when the Premieres were launched, but given all the other missing stuff I guess it's just the way things are at Tivo now.

They want to be a software and service company, but they're not very good at it.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    A. It would defeat the entire purpose of implementing streaming. (The fact that streams don't take up disk space is hardly worth the effort of implementing them, IMHO, and that's the only other benefit.)

B. We've already seen the streaming implementation, and it didn't respect no-copy flags. Granted, that could change.

18. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    so so glad I don't have TWC. I would never do business with them.

My current cable company, cox has the copy protection set to 0x00 on everything. Meaning it's copy freely. MRV is no issue for anything as well as tivo to go.

It's just TWC screwing you, and basically, if you want these features you need our box and service. And they don't break any regulations unless they do it on broadcast networks.

19. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Cox's implementation varies by region. Before I moved, I had them and only the locals could be copied to another TiVo or for TiVoToGo. Was pretty awful (combined with those flakey tuning adapters).

20. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I agree, but I would probably do the same if I was TWC. Charge you a monthly fee of $10 to rent out a box (and remote control) that costs them next to nothing? Multiply that by millions of subscribers... Jackpot! I really hope TiVo implements the streaming feature soon and gets a one up on them!