ByeBye D*TV ... Hello FIOS

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xfm, Dec 21, 2007.

1. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005

Advertisements

Well, made the jump to FIOS after 10+ years with D*TV, but haven't pulled the plug on my D* service yet.

After I cancel the satellite services, I presume that I can still access the Now Playing programs for viewing or archiving to DVD-R. Can someone confirm this assumption to be true?

Will there be any other functionality remaining on my HR10-250, R10, HDVR2 & DSR-6000 units? Can I unplug, move to another room and reboot without satellite connections?

BTW, got a FIOS DVR to start off with, but it's terrible after 8+ years of TiVo. Also have a TiVo S3 (with CableCards) and a TiVo S2 (with a STB) to use with FIOS, and will later use my Promo $200 Best Buy gift card to get a TiVoHD for $99. At that point the FIOS DVR will be returned.

2. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    All you can do without a subscription is watch what has been recorded.

Do you want to sell your HD DVR? :)

And I forgot to add that without programming data, you lose the ability to schedule recordings.

3. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    From what I've read at other forums, you should disconnect the satellite feed from the dvr before you call to cancel so the the dvr function can't be disabled.

4. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Can you define 'dvr function'? Can they actually do this and would that mean that saved programs could not be viewed or burned to DVD?

Can you point me to a discussion where additional info could be obtained?

5. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005

Advertisements

Haven't made any decisions yet on equipment disposal, but I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell my HR10.

6. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Good luck with FIOS. I love letting folks like you beta test new technology so I know that when I finally adopt it, it will be trouble-free.

7. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    You can get more info at www.dbstalk.com. As I understand it, once you cancel the dvr can't even play back anything you have on your playlist.

EDIT: here's a thread that answers your question.http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=110874

8. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
  9. doncoolio

doncoolio New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Is fios even offered in your state? Do you have personal experience with Fios? I do, and D* is getting kicked to the curb when my neighborhood gets lit up.

10. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    FWIW, FIOS has been a great investment so far -- better picture quality, lots more channels (especially HD), more premium channels, ability to use my TiVo S3 with cable cards, faster internet, and I save $95/month vs old independent TV/Phone/Internet. Plus I get a choice of a free Sharp 19" HDTV or a $200 Best Buy gift card, which I plan to use for a TiVoHD DVR.

Order administration at Verizon is an absolute horror show, but tech support guys are sharp and helpful in working around administrative screwups.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Since each community is different for channel availability, please list what HD channels you have. Thanks.

12. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Well, I've been "beta testing" this for over a year. I would say it is one of the best technology moves I've ever made, both for the video and the 15/15 internet. It's really great to down load an unbox movie in under 30 minutes order to completion.

If you have it available, you should go for it. Beta testing is over.

Al

13. cowboys2002

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

FYP.:rolleyes:

I lived in the Long Beach Ca market and as of last week, my former area STILL does not have FIOS!

I live in an ATT market and can't get VOICEMAIL let alone U-Verse. DTV,Dish or Comcast are my only options (other than OTA).

I had my issues with Comcast in another market with outages on my HSI. Had problems with TV access in the past as well. I am very leary of trusting my home phone service to a company with a history of not meeting my service expectations on their "core" products.

That said, I really hope FIOS comes to your area and meets your needs.

I am sticking with DTV for my TV needs for CONTENT. My HD DVR gets installed 12/22/07, so I will check in later.

14. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Northern NJ HD channels:

CW
    CBS
    PBS
    NBC
    FOX
    ABC
    My9 WWOR
    TNT
    ESPN HD
    ESPN2 HD
    NFL Net HD
    YES HD
    SNNY HD
    HDNET
    HDNET Movies
    UHD
    Discovery HD
    Wealth TV HD
    Nat'l Geographic HD
    MTV HD
    Food Network HD
    HGTV HD
    Lifetime Movie Net HD
    HBO HD
    Cinemax HD
    Showtime HD
    TMC HD
    Starz HD

15. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I'm in Cypress too and I seem to get U-Verse mailers weekly. But U-Verse does not interest me in the least.

16. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks,
    Well, there are a few there that DirecTV doesn't yet carry.
    And a whole lot more than TWC carries. Also, FIOS isn't even mentioned around here. Guess I'll stay with DirecTV. :)

17. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    OK, without going to a full list - off the top of my head, here's what I can see missing from yours...

CNN
    TBS
    VH1
    MUSIC
    CMT
    WEATHER
    NICK
    SCIFI
    BRAVO
    FX
    BRAVO
    Multiple Movie channels, not just one of each
    FOX BUSINESS
    SMITHSONIAN
    A&E
    ANIMAL PLANET
    BIG 10 (x2)
    CARTOON
    CNBC
    TLC
    USA

D* doesn't have...

CW
    PBS
    Wealth
    My9 (Local I guess)

I'm not meaning to start a war here, but how can you claim you have "lots more channels (especially HD)" when you clearly don't?

18. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Yep, FIOS is offered here through AT&T (formerly Southwestern Bell)... just hasn't made it to my neighborhood yet. I'll have to rate compare it to what I pay to Directv/AT&T for my TV, phone and DSL. I really don't even want/need a landline anymore, I just keep it for the DSL. My Directv bill runs around $75/month, my AT&T landline with DSL costs $50/month.

I only have SD sets, no real desire to go to HD. In my opinion, HD sets are still too expensive. I'll wait until a 36" or so HD set costs less than $400 before I'm buying in.

And like others have posted, the channel lineup will have to closely mirror what I currently get with Directv.

I really would not want to pay more for Tivo... $14.99/month is what it costs for a S3 subscription, right?

19. cowboys2002

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

Isn't FIOS a Verizon product, and U-Verse the ATT product?

20. cowboys2002

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    I keep seeing ATT trucks in the area "upgrading" or doing GOD knows what.

I am interested in having a true alternative to COMCAST.

Until then, I will stick with DirecTV.