Bye Bye Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by chrisd, Sep 21, 2007.

1. chrisd

chrisd London, England

Oct 24, 2003
    London
    :mad: :mad:
    Last night I finally pulled the power lead out of my lovely TiVo.
    Since getting SKY HD it just wasn't worth sticking with both formats, and so with a heavy heart I decided that unfortunately TiVo had to go....no matter how bad the SKY+ is, I need the dual tuners and high def.

Gonna miss you buddy. <cry> <cry> <cry>.

2. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    We will now hold a minute of silence....

3. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Can I stop being silent now? Has the hooter gone and I didn't hear it?

4. chrisd

chrisd London, England

Oct 24, 2003
    London
    No, it is a very sad day, so I expect you all to honor my Tivo with some respect.

That damn SKY and their pesky HD. :eek:

5. SJC

SJC New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Widnes Cheshire
    So how much do you want for it Chrisd?

6. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff

The minute silence normal lasts 60 seconds :)

7. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Ah - but I'm not wearing a watch. You know what happens when you ASSUME... :D

8. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    one hippopotamus
    two hippopotamus... :D

9. chrisd

chrisd London, England

Oct 24, 2003
    London
    I don't think I can let it go. It would feel like selling part of the family. No, I think a home in the attic is much more suitable :)

10. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    What other members of your family have you stored in the attic?

11. philipcosson

philipcosson New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    Saltburn-by-...
    How many tivos in the attic? My cuckoo goes by the name of "Virgin Media V+" and It is absolute junk.

I can't bring myself to get rid of the tivo

Philip

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Sorry, but I think "absolute junk" is an overstatement. Yes, it's not as good as Tivo but then nothing ever will be. The V+ is a very good, albeit not Tivo, system.

Should my Tivo ever die on me, and I mean completely and irrecoverably (and assuming I couldn't get another Tivo) I'd certainly be happy to get a V+.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    How about a version of Windows Media Player that can handle encrypted channels without the current Dragon CAM messing around.

Of course that would necessitate Ofcom taking acting to stop Sky's currently restricted practices in terms of its failure to provide a CAM that can be used by other manufacturers.

So Ofcom being as useless as it is this is about as likely as hell freezing over....... :eek: :mad: :thumbsdown:

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Hmmm this sounds rather like having a dead family member stuffed and put in a glass cabinet.

Surely it would give you more joy to think or your little Tivo still giving pleasure in another home than sitting there moribund, dead and cold in the loft.

Can I take it that your Tivo probably did not have a Lifetime Sub as surely otherwise giving it to your mother or brother or using it with Freeview in another room or whatever would make more sense.

15. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    Sounds more likely he doesn't have complete confidence in his Sky HD solution ;)

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    That's not the impression I gained.

He seems to have been parallel running Tivo and Sky HD as a result of which he has finally taken a decision to consign Tivo to history.

I think it goes without saying me must be paying a monthly sub on his Tivo rather than having a Lifetime Sub.

17. chrisd

chrisd London, England

Oct 24, 2003
    London
    Well Pete, you're wrong again. :D

My TiVo does have lifetime subscription, and as alex says I really don't like the SKY+, but as TiVo can't handle HD then I have no choice but to use the SKY+.

In a perfect world (well, not even a perfect world, hell they have it in the States) all I need is a HD TiVo and I'd be happy. I love my little TiVo box but it cannot fully work with the SKY input so it has to go.

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    OK but that being so then why not sell the Tivo with the Lifetime Sub on Ebay for £130 upwards and give someone else the pleasure of the Tivo experience rather than leaving your Lifetime Subbed Tivo in the loft until the moment when Tivo finally end the UK Tivo service and your loft based Tivo is then worth nothing.

19. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK

Will never happen

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It definitely will if Tivo Inc is ever bought out by Newscorp (Sky)