Bye Bye DirecTV, hello Series3!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Adam1115, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

Just cancelled DirecTV. Talked to retentions, asked why, told them because they got rid of TiVo, and TiVo came out with their own Series3 HD-DVR. He offered me an HR20 for free and would let me keep my HR10. Told him, nope, too late, I want TiVo, and that I've used their new DVR's and am not impressed.

Imaging my Series3 to a new 500 Gig drive as we speak!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    For me the series 3 is only a viable option if my cable company and OTA could offer what I have now with DirecTV.

3. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    Good for you. Once my 1 SD DTivos and my HR10-250 go belly up I'll be switching to comcast as well.

4. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    Other than the sports packages, what don't they offer? Or did you mean the sports packages?

5. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...

Advertisements

Imagine being "served" by Charter. In my area Charter does not offer any HD programming.

6. Krookut

Krookut New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Wow they were generous with their offer to try to keep you imo. Good luck with cable and the S3.

7. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Ditto.

Good luck with the Cable Card and protected content issues Adam.

8. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No cablecards for me! OTA and basic cable.

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    The problem with the S3 for me is that I would need 3 of them to replace the HR10's I have today. That's $2400 plus some huge monthly fee. When I do have to replace the HR10's I can get 3 HR20's for $99 each if I trade in my HR10's with a much smaller monthly fee. If I only had a single HD TV I would seriously consider the S3.

10. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No it isn't. $679 shipped on this forum, that's $2,037 not $2,400. Sell your HR10's for about $375/each, now your at $912.

$299 for 3 years service, puts it at about $8/mo.

But I get the drift, wow, 3 HDTV's?

I'm consolidating, and selling all my equipment I'll probably break even.

Thing is awesome, blazing fast. Faster than my SD DirecTiVo's! NO audio dropouts on fox tonight! Analog cable kind of sucks, but the OTA is fantastic.

11. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Thanks!! Keep in mind you can probably get some good dough for your hr10 on ebay.. ;)

12. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Sweet, enjoy.

My love afFair with DTV has been over for about 5 years, but they still are the only source for the programming I crave (read Sunday Ticket). I'm also not certain that the things that annoy me with DTV are any better with cable.

I follow my programming, I think most do. Adam115 doesn't have strong programming needs (Locals and basic), so providers are interchangeable.

A lot of people Adam would like to do what you're doing and follow their DVR maker. It's a tougher choice when there's a bigger difference in the programming as well as multiple units to consider.

13. DDayDawg

DDayDawg New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Memphis, TN
    I've already made my mind up to jump ship once the HR10-250 quits providing what I need. I'm holding out in hopes that the CableCard2 standard comes out and is adopted by TiVo. I just don't want to spend that much money to get a box that won't do everything, at least not yet.

Maybe I'm just set in my ways but I refuse to take one giant step backward. Why would I be willing to go from the HR10 to the HR20? While the price might be nice I just don't see much reason to devolve my technology options. I'm sure you could buy a 286 computer really cheap now as well, but that hardly makes it a good deal.

Anyway, best of luck and please share your experiences. it won't be too long before I join the S3+Comcast family.

14. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    That's where your jump in logic is. Until you try it how would you know it's a step back? For many, they are getting rid of their HR10 after keeping it as a backup for the HR20. They've found it not to be that. If you've tried it, my appologies, if you're dismissing it based only on your experiences with the HR10, then I don't think I can help you, that issue is too deep.

15. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    +1

16. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I am a heavy Wishlist user - does the HR20 offer Wishilists?

17. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    No sports packages. My OTA is lacking in that I can't get NBC (even SD). CBS isn't HD yet. No CW (no biggie, but, will be on a subchannel of our CBS affiliate once they go HD.) BTW, MyNetwork is on a subchannel of our Fox affiliate.

TWC is also not an option because they also lack those channels. Well, they do pass through, so I'm told, CBS HD from somewhere and NBC from Elmira. The only HD I'm missing by not having TWC are the INHD ones. And, I have no idea if TWC will allow the use of cable cards.

I have waivers for all 4 networks.

18. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The HR20 does have an "Autorecord" on Keyword, Actor feature.

However, if you are a POWER wishlist user, it definently falls short of what you are used to...

If you are a basic Wishlist user... then it will come close.

19. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    It depends on how you use them. The safest answer here is no. It's likely that you can accomplish what you're doing through other means, but maybe not.

Just to kind of illustrate my maybe answer. The way I've used wishlists, I still have the same functionality so if I didn't know better, I would answer yes to your question.

I have a friend who uses wishlists in a different way and if I described how the search works on the HR20 she would insist that it couldn't work for her. She would be wrong and discover that in a few weeks of ownership.

Another still (fictional) would use them differently, believe the HR20 can't do it and be correct.

My advice, as a long time TiVo user and current HR20 user, is to proceed with caution if you describe your WL use as heavy.

20. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Yep. Local cable here doesn't even offer ESPN2-HD. FIOS does, but they don't have the sports packages (yet...except for GamePlan).

D*, for all its faults, still offers the most content for me, a sports fan. I'm willing to wait and see what happens next year (though not willing to commit to another two years right now by trying out an HR20).