Buying tonight - which one?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by tivotvaddict, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 16
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    After stupidly thinking I had a 300 hour DVR/DVD burner, I've realized it's just the 300 hour DVR. (ok, ok, laugh all you want but YOU try dealing with Christmas shopping around here.) I'm returning that one and buying a new one. I currently have a Panasonic DVD burner hooked up to my 80 hour Series 2, which works fine, but I really wanted to have the faster recording speeds of a built in DVD burner. My friend is able to record 6 Simpsons shows in about 10 minutes! I'm sick of recording in real time and not being able to do anything else while it records. My options are:

A) Factory renewed 80 hr Humax Tivo/DVD burner from Tivo.com

B) 40 hr Humax Tivo/DVD burner from Tivo

C) 40 hr Humax Tivo/DVD burner from Circuit City type store for about $50 more than option B.

Which should I do and WHY????

edited to add I have already purchased the Tivo network adapters so that I can run them off of my home network. Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 16
    BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    woops.. n/m, didn't see you wanted to dvd.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 16
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    It seems the factory renewed 80hr Humax is $100 cheaper than the 40hr so I'd go with that. You still get the 30 day return policy and a warantee so if there are problems you should be covered.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 16
    tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Thanks for the advice! I just ordered the refurbed 80 hr one. I appreciate the input.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 16
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Let us know how you like it. The Humax 80 hour DVD units are wonderful... we have one and it's worked well.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 16
    bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    TivoTVAddict and others,

What is the difference between a DVD and a DVR??

Doesn't the Tivo w DVD 'burn' a DVD?

I know nothing about this stuff but I have a Tivo and thinking of getting a DVD recorder or a Tivo w DVD.

Next question, can I take my VCR tapes and record them onto DVD? Otherwise I won't be able to enjoy them any more or I will have to set VCR up in a different room or something.

Thanks!

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 16
    bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Incidentally I am thinking of getting the refurbished one tonight also. It is last day for it, assuming they still have some. I haven't had a DVD before so I am going to ask a pretty basic question:

I'm assuming I can burn a DVD of a movie I record with Tivo, that it will be on a DVD disk that is removeable from Tivo, like a CD disk; I can take it out of Tivo, label it with the name of movie, store it away easily and take it out to watch movie whenever I want, rather than have the movie sit on my Tivo and take up room for a long time.

Do you record over DVD's when you are finished watching what's on it like a VCR, or do you throw them out when you are done with them?

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 16
    bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Sorry about all the questions, but I only have until 7 pm to decide on Humax on sale. I'm trying to figure out how expensive to burn and keep DVD's.
    It looks like a DVD disk is about $3 bucks, and can get a couple of movies on one.

Staples have these for sale. Are these the type of disks I would be buying for a Humax Tivo unit. They are double layer and have +R and +RW after them:

for $30.00:
    Verbatim 10/Pack DVD+R Kit, Jewel Case.
    Includes: 1 Double Layer DVD+R, 8 DVD+R, 1 DVD+RW
    8.5GB (single-sided disc)
    DVD+R DL will work only with a Double Layer drive

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 16
    bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I couldn't make up my mind fast enough. Hopefully, they have other deals on refurbished sets that will come along. Thanks

10. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Let me try answering some of your questions.

DVR = digital video recorder

DVD refers to the disc on which one can record. Yes, a TiVo with a DVD burner can burn DVDs. Yes, you can burn just about anything that's recorded and later put the DVD into your DVD player or TiVo DVD unit and watch it. It is great for archiving stuff.

The TiVo DVD burning units (e.g., Humax and Toshiba) burn DVD-RW or DVD-R discs. The -RW you can rewrite many many times. The -R are one time only. The -R discs are much cheaper, but if the burning fails, you have a coaster. You CANNOT use +R or +RW discs.

Your pricing estimates are high. I recently got 50 Ridata DVD-RWs for $28 from amazon... best price I've seen I much prefer -RWs because I can rewrite the discs... that means if a burn fails, I haven't lost anything because I can try again. Also, if I decide I really don't want to keep a bunch of sitcoms or trashy movies around, I can reuse the disc.

Some people have purchased inexpensive DVD burners and attached them to their current TiVos... that's fine, and is more flexible, but the convenience of an all-in-one system is great. Plus, the TiVo units burn the DVD with a TiVo style menu, which works quite well.

Don't sweat missing out on that deal... there will be plenty more, just look around and see what's out there. Plus, there are very good rebate deals on new units, too.

Hope this helps and post more questions as needed!

11. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Evan,
    Thanks for the info. It helps alot. I thought about it overnight and decided to try and see if they would sell me the Humax today and they did, so I got one. I was concerned about the cost of burning DVDs and it doesn't sound expensive at all. I have a 30 hour Sony but frequently I go to tape something and it wants to know what I want to erase and I don't want to erase anything, so this will help, 80 hours. That should be plenty, especially if I can download movies I don't have time to watch to a DVD and get them off the Tivo and then watch them when I have the time.

12. sweetspirit

sweetspirit TechLovin Newbie

Apr 14, 2005
    The OC
    I bought a series 2 last year myself. Reading now about a series 3 about to come out. Guess we all should expect it, since they're trying to get all the money they can out of selling the series 2's. ....

Hope you have fun learning!

13. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Hi Sweetspirit,
    What are some of the attractions you are reading about with the Series 3?
    I'm still not sorry I bought the S2, as I think from now on I will buy refurbished machines since they come with the exact same warranty, and I doubt there will be reburbished S3's for awhile. bebw

14. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Hi TivoEvan

I just wanted to say your post is very clear and understandable!! I wish more of the stuff I read on the more "tech" forums were like this - though the tekkies would be bored stiff, I'm sure. :) Thanks for taking the time to explain something so well - even though I didn't ask this particular question, it's appreciated!

15. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Tivotvaddict, thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I've gained a lot from others, so every now and then I jump in when I think I can help. And I do try to write clearly, so I'm glad it's working!

16. strathshire

strathshire New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Has anyone use the CYBERHOME DVR on sale at COMPUSA for $79 to connect to the VCR output on TIVO to record DVD's?

Is this the least expensive way to do the transfers from TIVO and make DVD's ??

What is the best way to make DVD's from TIVO programs saved to my PC HD??

I am new to TIVO>>>>>>>>>>please help

M-------