Buying Tivo Series II

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by plantsower, Jul 27, 2011.

1. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA

Advertisements

I am considering buying a Tivo series II from Amazon because 1) I can't get one at the Tivo site, 2) We have Satellite (no cable available in the sticks) and will have to use a phone line.

Under the description of this particular Series II, it says:

Everything required for installation is supplied; subscription to TiVo service is additional requirement. An appropriate set top box is needed for digital cable, or satellite.

What is a set top box? :confused:

Thank you. :)

2. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    The satellite box

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Thank you!!!

5. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA

Advertisements

And thank you, too. You confirmed the satellite info and the links will help a lot!!! You helped me make my decision, and I appreciate it.

Rita

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    If you're going to get a series 2 then you should buy on on eBay that had lifetime. It will be cheaper for you in the long run.

7. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Oops! Never thought of the lifetime thing. I did look on eBay but thought I'd get it on Amazon for about the same price. Just paid for it. Thanks for the idea, though, for maybe next time?

Rita

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Seriously - you might want to cancel the Amazon order (just chat with customer service, it's really easy if it hasn't shipped yet) and look on Ebay for one with lifetime.

This is because eliminating that monthly fee will add up... paying up front for lifetime on an old box is well worth it.

9. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Hi:

I looked at eBay and the Lifetime Tivos are used. I really don't want used this time around. I had a debate with myself and decided to go ahead and get the new, cheaper one. I do understand about it being cheaper in the long run, but I am used to making the monthly payments at this point as we have had the Tivo for 2 or 3 years now.

Thank you for making me think about that again, though. :)

Rita

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There are still new series 2 units?

11. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Yes, I found them on Amazon. There are others at other stores online, too.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They aren't new, just New-Old-Stock. I don't think Series 2s have been made since 2008 at the latest.

I'd like to see the manufacture date, when you get it.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya I have one of those someplace never subbed I don't even think I opened the box - picked it up for spare parts of ebay at some point. Kind of like what some people did when Amazon had the Premiere at $50. I just got to believe TiVo has really taken a bath on hardware over the years.

14. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Yes, I know it isn't "new" as in just manufactured. But it has never been used. If I remember, I will get you that date.

Rita

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    My money would go on an eBay box for about $120. If you actually got a new one from Amazon and added monthly service then it would take less than a year to hit the same cost.

16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can find lifetime S2s on Amazon. It doesn't make sense to pay a monthly subscription on an S2. You have to commit for a year at $12.95 per month, which is $155.40 for the year. You can easily find a used S2 with lifetime service for less than $155.40. Plus you could get a second unsubscribed S2 to use for parts for the lifetime S2.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Which satellite do you have? If you have DirecTV, you might want to get one of the COMBINED DirecTivo boxes. (That's not the official name.)

There will be an _upcoming_ one that does HD.. but the current one does dual tuner with existing MPEG 2 DirecTV streams. It's "old", but it's definitely better than dealing with another external box. (Plus, you presumably would save money by not having to pay monthly for the existing satellite box -- you'd just pay the Tivo fee on the new-to-you-but-really-used box.)

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Yay, a seized up hard drive that has been sitting around in a warehouse since 2005.

Buying a Series2 TiVo in 2011 is about as smart as buying an 8-track tape player.

And if you MUST buy a Series2, why wouldn't you buy a DirecTV TiVo for like $25 and subscribe it on DirecTV for $5/month? Hell, I have a room full of them I would give away free if I didn't have to ship them anywhere.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, a response 45 minutes later saying the same thing I did.

20. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The same thing, if you leave out the actual name of the DirecTV Tivo box, or the price you can find one, or the rest of what I wrote.

WTF. 8925 posts? Wow, I thought my life was dull.